Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

hd dvd player for xbox 360 $49.99

squatch66

i just got an email with the monthly updates and it said that since hd dvd is no longer in production microsoft is getting rid of the hd dvd player add on for the 360 for $49.99. they also have a form that you can fill out and send in for 5 free hd dvds. i realize that there are going to be no more hd dvds produced so i would have to go out and get as many as i could find but it should still upconvert the resolution to near hd for standard dvds and that is a hell of a steal for an hd dvd player.

i am seriously considering buying one. i wonder if they come in black to match my elite.

Have heard the HD Dvd player for the 360 has a high rate of overheats...be careful and research it before you end up screwing your 360 up

how would it screw up the 360? its a standalone player that plugs into the console via cable.

Did you start buying tape players when CDs came out ?

VHS players when DVD players came out ?

Why in the hell would anyone buy something that is already obsolete ? To me that like buying a 8 track or cassette player ?

Do you remember renting VHS and Beta movies ? Then it went to only VHS, eventually to only DVD... Same thing happening here.

Do you remember renting VHS and Beta movies ? Then it went to only VHS, eventually to only DVD... Same thing happening here.

All the printed HD DVD releases aren't going to go away anytime soon and will start to become available heavily discounted. Picking up a HD DVD player is a cheap way to add quality HD titles to your collection.

Possibly. Then when that one breaks down ?

You have to remember that most of those are used.

It is the same thing as buying a rotary phone.

Then there goes another $5....

If I can get something cheap that will make my existing DVDs look better and I could even get some HD ones for a relatively low cost, I'm not going to pass that up.

Eventually, when the price is right, I'll get a Blu-Ray, but as for now, I'll take the cheap way out.

Then there goes another $5....

If I can get something cheap that will make my existing DVDs look better and I could even get some HD ones for a relatively low cost, I'm not going to pass that up.

Eventually, when the price is right, I'll get a Blu-Ray, but as for now, I'll take the cheap way out.

I was under the impression that with the newer software updates the 360 upconverts DVD's to a higher quality even without the HD DVD drive.

this from xbox.com

Watch Movies, TV, and Video

DVD movies: Simply insert your DVD in your Xbox 360. You can watch your DVD with progressive-scan 480p for optimal viewing on HDTVs (requires an Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable).

TV and on-demand movies: With full integration with Windows Media Center Edition 2005 you can access and control PC-based media right from your Xbox 360 console, including TV, videos, and on-demand movies in both standard and high definition. Even if your Windows Media Center–based PC is in another room, you can stream content to your console to enjoy all your media exactly where you want to: from your couch, in the middle of your entertainment center.

i tested this on my elite. i put a dvd in my xbox and compared it to an hd channel and it does not upconvert. the reason that i am considering buying one is for the upconversion aspect of my standard dvds.

this from xbox.com

Watch Movies, TV, and Video

DVD movies: Simply insert your DVD in your Xbox 360. You can watch your DVD with progressive-scan 480p for optimal viewing on HDTVs (requires an Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable).

TV and on-demand movies: With full integration with Windows Media Center Edition 2005 you can access and control PC-based media right from your Xbox 360 console, including TV, videos, and on-demand movies in both standard and high definition. Even if your Windows Media Center–based PC is in another room, you can stream content to your console to enjoy all your media exactly where you want to: from your couch, in the middle of your entertainment center.

i tested this on my elite. i put a dvd in my xbox and compared it to an hd channel and it does not upconvert. the reason that i am considering buying one is for the upconversion aspect of my standard dvds.

An upconverted DVD won't look as good as an HD channel no matter what you buy. HD channels are either broadcasted in 720p or 1080i as compared to the maximum resolution of a DVD is 480p. This is the reasoning behind HD-DVD and Blu Ray. An upconverted DVD will look better on an HDTV than a non-upconverted DVD but not nearly as good as True HD regardless of the upconversion.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Archived