Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spikes Out In Philly . . . Moss In?

dachozenone

From PFT

On Friday night, an eagle-eyed reader in Philly pointed out to us that the

Eagles' depth chart shows Asante Samuel as the starter at left cornerback, and Lito Sheppard as the second-stringer.

So we shared that info with PFT Planet, and several members of the Philly chapter pointed out that nowhere on the depth chart are the words "Takeo" or "Spikes."

And that is prompting speculation that Spikes and his $5 million base salary are on the way out. Since 2008 is the final year of his contract, cutting him would give the Eagles an immediate $5 million in cap space, with no acceleration.

The possible departure of Spikes and the arrival of receiver Randy Moss on the open market has prompted speculation that the Eagles might make a run at Randy.

The wild card in all of this is Samuel. He's in a position to greatly influence the Eagles, one way or the other, on the value of Moss. Samuel was with the Pats for four seasons before Moss, so he's in a great position to provide the powers-that-be with the inside look at the "before" and the "after".

Stay tuned. Prior to signing Asante, the Eagles were coy about trading Sheppard, likely because they didn't want a repeat of the LeCharles Bentley episode in their quest for Samuel. The wheels might quietly be in motion as to Spikes because the Eagles hope to soar under radar if they decide to try to reel in Randy.

Hey, if T.O. and Moss can't play on the same team, the next best thing is having him in the same division.

From PFT

Oh God...IF this happens I will vomit. Can you imagine McNabb, Westrbook, Moss, Curtis and Brown? I had a feeling Samuel might have some pull with Moss. I still dont see the Pats letting Moss leave but the longer he is not signed the better chance he leaves. The Eagles had about 30 million is cap space this offseason.

On Friday night, an eagle-eyed reader in Philly pointed out to us that the

Eagles' depth chart shows Asante Samuel as the starter at left cornerback, and Lito Sheppard as the second-stringer.

So we shared that info with PFT Planet, and several members of the Philly chapter pointed out that nowhere on the depth chart are the words "Takeo" or "Spikes."

And that is prompting speculation that Spikes and his $5 million base salary are on the way out. Since 2008 is the final year of his contract, cutting him would give the Eagles an immediate $5 million in cap space, with no acceleration.

The possible departure of Spikes and the arrival of receiver Randy Moss on the open market has prompted speculation that the Eagles might make a run at Randy.

The wild card in all of this is Samuel. He's in a position to greatly influence the Eagles, one way or the other, on the value of Moss. Samuel was with the Pats for four seasons before Moss, so he's in a great position to provide the powers-that-be with the inside look at the "before" and the "after".

Stay tuned. Prior to signing Asante, the Eagles were coy about trading Sheppard, likely because they didn't want a repeat of the LeCharles Bentley episode in their quest for Samuel. The wheels might quietly be in motion as to Spikes because the Eagles hope to soar under radar if they decide to try to reel in Randy.

Hey, if T.O. and Moss can't play on the same team, the next best thing is having him in the same division.

Oh God I had a feeling about something like this. I still dont think Moss will leave the PAts but with Samuel pulling some strings for the Eagles you never know. The Eagles had about 30 million under the cap this offseason. Can you imagine Westbrook, McNabb, Moss, Curtis, Brown? Even a healthy LJ SMith. Yikes.

If this goes down it looks like the Eagles FO has finally woke up and want to spend some money.

They already looks like they woke up so far. They are about to sign Chris Clemens today for a third down pass rusher. He had 8 sasks last season with freaking Oakland. Imagine what Jim Johnson will do with him.

Didn't they just sign Spikes?

This will only hurt them. Moss won't sign, Spikes' pride will be hurt.

They traded a 6th rouns pick for Spikes last season. He pretty much already has a replacement on the Roster. They are absolutely in Love with Stewart Bradely. He also had rotator cuff surgery this offseason.

spikes not being on the depth chart means nothing... he was on IR at the end of the season, and the depth chart was probably just quickly updated to add Asante without looking to see if it was up to date (ie. putting spikes back on for this upcoming year)... it's already been updated since then with Spikes back as the starting WIL

I also don't see the Eagles cutting Spikes as he was productive enough last year and is only under contract for one more year, adding depth to their LB unit while some of the younger guys develop... my guess is that spikes will be starting this year along with 2 of gocong, gaither, and bradley, and all will see a fair share of snaps if healthy...

Spikes was a locker room leader and a big-time free agent. If they get rid of him after a year that will send a bad signal to ather people who are thinking of signing there. And if they signed Randy Moss that means that the two new guys would be the two highest paid players on the team, which by my count probably wouldn't sit well with Bryan Westbrook. If the Eagles get Moss, I will laugh, because they will eseentially turn into the Redskins cap-wise. And don't get me started about what happens if Randy doesn't get the chances he wants and how quickly the Brady/McNabb comparisons will start to float around.

Spikes was a locker room leader and a big-time free agent. If they get rid of him after a year that will send a bad signal to ather people who are thinking of signing there. And if they signed Randy Moss that means that the two new guys would be the two highest paid players on the team, which by my count probably wouldn't sit well with Bryan Westbrook. If the Eagles get Moss, I will laugh, because they will eseentially turn into the Redskins cap-wise. And don't get me started about what happens if Randy doesn't get the chances he wants and how quickly the Brady/McNabb comparisons will start to float around.

McNabb, Westbrook, Runyan, Dawkins all came out and said they want more playmakers on both sides of the ball. Samuel was the first step in answering their request. I think they are smart enough to realize if they get more playmakers those players will make a lot of money.

It might push them closer to the cap ceiling but Asanti and Moss will not push the eagles into a redskins cap like situation

They already looks like they woke up so far. They are about to sign Chris Clemens today for a third down pass rusher. He had 8 sasks last season with freaking Oakland. Imagine what Jim Johnson will do with him.

Probably the same he did with Kearse.

McNabb, Westbrook, Runyan, Dawkins all came out and said they want more playmakers on both sides of the ball. Samuel was the first step in answering their request. I think they are smart enough to realize if they get more playmakers those players will make a lot of money.

Of course they do.

Dawkins and Runyon have 1, maybe 2 good years left.

McNabb not much more than them.

If they don't win one in the next season or two, they'll have to start all over again.

The Eagles will be the doormats of the NFCE again, soon enough, and things will finally be back to normal.

I just cant see Moss giving up what he has in NE, for the possible mediocrity he could see in Philly. Even if Philly is good, they wont be NE good. As much as they need a WR, I doubt Moss is going to be the one.

Moss siad two other teams he would go to are Philly and Dallas.

Of course they do.

Dawkins and Runyon have 1, maybe 2 good years left.

McNabb not much more than them.

If they don't win one in the next season or two, they'll have to start all over again.

The Eagles will be the doormats of the NFCE again, soon enough, and things will finally be back to normal.

This statement is so overused it's hysterical. Thought we could come to expect more from you HHM. "Start over again". The Eagles core isn't any older than any other team in the division. It's rather difficult to project how teams will even look more than 3 years into the future, isn't it?

This statement is so overused it's hysterical. Thought we could come to expect more from you HHM. "Start over again". The Eagles core isn't any older than any other team in the division. It's rather difficult to project how teams will even look more than 3 years into the future, isn't it?

As long as Kevin Kolb turns out to be good you guys will nothing to worry about in a couple years.

When were the eagles the doormats of the nfc east? The cardinals were always the doormat of the nfc east. Since they left' date=' your redskins have been the doormat of the nfc east.[/quote']

He's a Cowboys fan.

I just remember in 2002 everyone saying the exact same thing about losing Taylor, Vincent, Hugh, Trotter, etc. Same thing over and over again.

He's a Cowboys fan.

I just remember in 2002 everyone saying the exact same thing about losing Taylor, Vincent, Hugh, Trotter, etc. Same thing over and over again.

*shrugs* Sean Considine didn't work out so well, and neither did Will James at nickel.

Yeah-I agree, for the most part, the Eagles have been consistently successful b/c they always had a backup plan, but they've proven to be human too.:2cents:

I was more taking a joking stab at the aging vets that, of course, want to make a huge splash and get some difference makers.

But in reality, McNabb is aging and they do have his hopeful replacement waiting in the wings.

McNabb isnt getting better, only older.

And Kolb is nothing close to a sure thing.

If Kolb doesnt work out, the Eagles are, in essence, back to square one because they wont be doing anything without a good QB.

I was more taking a joking stab at the aging vets that, of course, want to make a huge splash and get some difference makers.

But in reality, McNabb is aging and they do have his hopeful replacement waiting in the wings.

McNabb isnt getting better, only older.

And Kolb is nothing close to a sure thing.

If Kolb doesnt work out, the Eagles are, in essence, back to square one because they wont be doing anything without a good QB.

Speaking of McNabb-the logic surrounding these Lito rumors are that he can't be relied on b/c he gets injured alot.

If the Eagles want to use this logic, then why not trade Westbrook, Tra Thomas, or even McNabb-b/c they too have a knack for getting injured alot.

Speaking of McNabb-the logic surrounding these Lito rumors are that he can't be relied on b/c he gets injured alot.

If the Eagles want to use this logic, then why not trade Westbrook, Tra Thomas, or even McNabb-b/c they too have a knack for getting injured alot.

Westbrook has two straight seasons without prolonged injury. There aren't many RBs in football who can say that.

The Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb because McNabb's health was so clearly an issue.

Even with injuries, Tra Thomas is always out there.

Archived