Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Draft Day Trades in Review (Comprehensive)

nightbird

With FA about to start and the draft after that, I thought I would look back at our previous trades and see how they turnout in retrospect.

There's a lot of "coulda woulda shoulda" on this board, and I think most believe our history of trading picks is a bad one.

When you break each move down individually, it paints a slightly different picture when you look at what we traded away and what we could have had if we'd stood pat.

Our trades around the draft over the last 4 years, what other teams got from us, and what we may have used those picks for:

2004:

1. PORTIS TRADE

We gave the Broncos Champ Bailey and our 2nd Round pick (41 overall) for Clinton Portis.

The Broncos used the pick for Tatum Bell. Julius Jones, Bob Sanders, Michael Boulware and Antwan Odom were still on the board.

2004:

2. BRUNELL TRADE

We gave Jacksonville our 3rd Round pick (72 overall) for Mark Brunell.

The pick ended up with Green Bay, who took DT Donnell Washington. He was a total bust. Max Starks and Bernard Berrian were on the board there.

2004:

3. COOLEY TRADE

We gave New Orleans our 2004 5th Round Pick (139) and our 2005 2nd Round Pick (40) for their 2004 3rd Round Pick (81) and we used that for Cooley. We had to trade back into the 3rd due to the Brunell deal.

The Saints used our 5th rounder for DT Rodney Leisle. Jake Scott and Erik Coleman were on the board. They used our 2nd rounder in 2005 for safety Josh Bullocks. Lofa Tatupu, Corey Wesbster, Matt Roth and Nick Collins were on the board.

2005:

4. CAMPBELL TRADE

We gave Denver our 2005 3rd Rounder (76), plus our 2006 1st Rounder(22) and 2006 4th Rounder(110) for the 17th overall pick -- Jason Campbell.

Denver used the 2005 3rd rounder for cb Karl Paymah. Kirk Morrison, Ellis Hobbs and Chris Henry were on the board.

The 2006 1st rounder ended up in San Fran, who chose lb Manny Lawson. Santonio Holmes, John McCargo, Joseph Addai, Mathias Kiwanuka and Demeco Ryans were on the board.

The 2006 4th rounder was wr Brandon Marshall. Barry Cofield and Elvis Dumervil were on the board.

5. THRASH TRADE

We gave the eagles our 2005 5th Round Pick(146) for James Thrash. The Eagles used the pick to draft Trent Cole.

2006:

6. MCINTOSH TRADE

We gave the Jets our 2006 2nd round(53), 2006 6th round(189) and 2007 2nd round(37) for their 2006 2nd round(35) and 2006 6th round(173).

We drafted Rocky McIntosh and Reed Doughty with our picks.

The picks we traded amounted to:

TE Anthony Fasano (to Dallas -- Devin Hester and Maurice Jones-Drew were on the board)

CB Drew Coleman (Bruce Gradkowski and Antoine Bethea were on the board)

S Eric Weddle (to SD -- Tony Ugoh and Steve Smith were on the board)

2006:

7. BRANDON LLOYD TRADE

We gave San Francisco our 2006 3rd rounder(86) and 2007 4th rounder(104) for Brandon Lloyd.

SF drafted WR Brandon Williams and DE Jay Moore.

2006:

8. TJ DUCKETT TRADE

We gave away our 2007 3rd rounder (70) and 2008 4th rounder for TJ Duckett. The broncos selected OT Ryan Harris from Notre Dame. Lorenzo Booker, Jacoby Jones, James Jones and Jay Alford were on the board.

This year's 4th rounder has yet to be used obviously, and we don't have our 2009 4th rounder due to the Pete Kendall Trade.

EVALUATIONS:

1. Fine by me. Champ wanted out, and I love CP. Tatum Bell hasn't done much.

2. Bad. We could have waited for Brunell to be cut, or just signed some other veteran QB. Then we could have just used this pick for Cooley.

3. Good, even though we should not have been forced to trade back into the draft here. I'd take Cooley over Josh Bullocks, Lofa Tatupu or anyone else we could have used with those picks.

4. Good. Even with 100% success rate, if we'd have not made this deal, we could have ended up with Ellis Hobbs, Joseph Addai and Brandon Marshall. That's damn good, but not if you believe JC is a franchise qb as I do.

5. Even. Love Thrash, but Trent Cole is a super 5th round pick. I'm not sure we'd have targeted him here though.

6. Bad. Like Rocky, just worried about his health and i think WLB is a position you don't need a superstar. Imagine not making the deal and ending up with Devin Hester and Tony Ugoh instead.

7. Awful. The picks haven't amounted to much, but we paid Brandon Lloyd $400,000 per catch. Id rather have two 2nd-year players learning from our coaches.

8. Really bad. It was a panic move, and the Broncos ended up with a good young tackle due to our panic.

There ya go. Some good, some bad, some a wash.

I think in the end though, more picks is better than fewer. Drafting is such a crapshoot, the only way to guarantee success is just to draft lots of guys, because some of the will work out for you, and they wont cost much while they're doing it.

James Thrash for what the prospect of Trent Cole looks very bad right now. Trent Cole would've thrived under Greg Blache and Gregg Williams the way Andre Carter did. He probably would be a lot more physical now if he had been drafted here as well.

But then again that pre-supposes that the FO at the time valued defensive linemen...

thrash for cole is horrendous. cole is a legit starting DE in this league, thrash is a 4th or 5th WR at best a decent special teams guy. definitely not a wash at all.

I'm not saying the deal is a wash straight up. Cole is a better player at a more valuable position, and he's younger.

I just don't believe we would have drafted him there. And thrash's contributions the last several years exceed what we get from most 5th rounders.

2004:

1. PORTIS TRADE

We gave the Broncos Champ Bailey and our 2nd Round pick (41 overall) for Clinton Portis.

The Broncos used the pick for Tatum Bell. Julius Jones, Bob Sanders, Michael Boulware and Antwan Odom were still on the board.

This is an incomplete evaluation. Skins were offered a first round pick by other teams (Jets and possibly others). So the true cost of Portis is a first and second round pick. Who was still on the board in the bottom quarter of the first round?

you're forgetting the famous ricky williams trade when the saints gave us their entire draft board basically that year plus their first and second next year...... how did we not become a dynasty?

Yeah I left that out to focus on more recent history post-Casserly.

We did not become a dynasty because, while we traded the Ricky Williams pick for Ditkas ENTIRE DRAFT, PLUS a 1st and 3rd rounder the next year, we actually had to turn around and trade some of those picks away to move back up and select Champ Bailey.

For all the picks we traded to Ditka, we ended up with:

CB Champ Bailey (1st round, 99)

LB Nate Stimson (4th round, 99)

LB Lavar Arrington (1st round, 00)

CB Lloyd Harrison (3rd round, 00)

The other picks ended up with the Bears and Broncos, who took:

Cade McNown (1st round, 99)

WR D'Wayne Bates (3rd round, 99)

LB Khari Samuel (5th round, 99)

TE Desmond Clark (6th round, 99)

WR Billy Miller (7th round, 99)

Of all the teams I'd say we made out the best, since Champ + Lavar is better than Ricky Williams.

But we could have done much more with everything Ditka gave us.

Who was on the board that we could have taken when we traded down to take Patrick Ramsey?

We traded back twice, first from the 17th pick where Atlanta took (TADA!) T.J. Duckett.

Then we traded back from the 21st pick where the Pats took TE Daniel Graham.

With the extra picks netted from moving down, we drafted Ladell Betts in the 2nd, CB Rashad Bauman and WR Cliff Russell in the 3rd, and Safety Andre Lott in the 5th.

If we'd have stood pat at the 17th overall pick, we could have taken Javon Walker, Ed Reed, or Lito Shepherd. Busts like Mike Rumph and Ashley Lelie were taken around that spot too.

you're forgetting the famous ricky williams trade when the saints gave us their entire draft board basically that year plus their first and second next year...... how did we not become a dynasty?

I guarantee you had someone done that during Gibbs II, he woulda built a rock solid team.

Archived