Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My NFL 1st Round Mock Draft (took me awhile)

CGB Spender

#1. Miami - Matt Ryan QB Boston College

Pure no brain-er. If the Dolphins can't shop the 1st overall pick (to the Falcons or Ravens I would assume) they take Ryan comfortably at number 1. While not being the greatest athlete, Ryan is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, with excellent mechanics and mobile (but not evasive) feet similar to Ben Roethlisberger.

#2. Rams - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

A week ago I would have said Sedrick Ellis , I probably still should, but at 6'2'’ 299lbs, a 5.0 40 time and the strength of a grizzly bear, Dorsey is just an uncanny specimen that’s too hard to pass up. Now, his technique is still a little raw compared to Ellis, but I still take Dorsey here.

#3. Falcons - Andre Woodson QB Kentucky

There are a number of other players who are worth more on the board, but when it comes to team need, this is the most valuable pick the Falcons can make. I don’t think anyone, other than myself, has Woodson going this high, or before Brian Brohm for that matter. Woodson’s stats as a senior were superior in every way when compared to Brohm’s, which is why I put him here.

#4. Raiders - Sedrick Ellis DT USC

With Oaklands DL getting older by the minute, Ellis is an obvious choice. While not as strong as Dorsey, his technique and agility are much more honed. Ellis would fit great next to the aging Warren Sapp, who can also provide this kid with years of advice. It’s just too bad Ellis will be stuck with the worst (and unfortunately ageless) owner in professional sports.

#5 Chiefs - Jake Long OT Michigan

For the same reason applying to their O-line as Oakland’s d-line, the Chiefs take Jake Long. Long is a menace in every sense of the word if you’re an unsuspecting d-lineman. Long’s technique is as scary as his 6'7'’ 313lbs physique, an he STILL has room to pack more muscle.

#6 Jets - Chris Long DE UVA

Chris Long will love NY. While sporting a great LB core, the Jets pass rush was among the league’s worst last year, which will give Long the chance to shine by his lonesome. The son of Hall of Fame DE Howie Long will feel right at home with the likes of Vilma and Kerry Rhodes.

#7 Patriots -Ryan Clady OT Boise St.

New England is getting away with murder, being allowed to keep this pick is a mockery of all sportsmanship, but that’s another story. Ryan Clady is perfect fit on a New England team that is getting old everywhere except QB and WR. Clady could have easily been a top 5 pick if not for Jake Long. There isn’t a player in the first round of the draft that is as happy as whoever gets picked here, but I think it’s Clady, if Asante stays and Zach Thomas is picked up.

#8 Ravens - Brian Brohm QB Louisville

Baltimore happily takes Brohm here. While they did draft Redman from Louisville as well, Brohm is a much more hyped prospect. Coming in to the ‘08 season, Brohm was the best projected QB. The emergence of Matt Ryan and Andre Woodson, coupled with Brohm’s career high interceptions are what caused his stock to drop, but don’t be fooled, Brian has all the tools and the most potential of the top QB prospects.

#9 Bengals - Vernon Gholston DE Ohio St.

The Bengals need Vernon more than Vernon needs, or wants, the Bengals. While an Outside Linebacker like Keith Rivers would make more sense, the Bengals haven’t had a good (or decent) pass rush since their induction in 1968. Gholston is much more agile that Long but not as strong and his skills are a little raw in comparison, but Gholston has been compared to the likes of Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers, nice company to be in.

#10 Saints - Keith Rivers OLB USC

The Saints love Keith Rivers here. While Rivers can surely go higher in the draft, this is certainly the best place for him to fall (except NE, but never mind). Rivers reminds me a lot of LaVar Arrington. His speed, strength, hitting power, and coverage skills are uncanny for a OLB. He can add to the Saints already tenacious pass rush, or sit back on open field and play the sidelines.

#11 Buffalo - Brandon Flowers CB VT

Who? Oh, don’t worry, you’ll know exactly who Flowers is soon enough. He is perhaps the strongest CB you’ve EVER seen. His coverage skills are just as impressive and are not lackluster in any way. He’s unbelievably efficient against the run, unlike any defensive back you’ve ever seen. He tackles like a safety and covers like a blanket. The only reason he doesn’t go top 10 is because of position needs.

#12 Broncos - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas

While it’s very possible that McFadden goes to Oakland, I don’t find it likely. The need for a HB nowadays is diminishing. I can name all 32 starting halfbacks from every team, I can probably name their back ups as well. Since rumors are going around that Javon Walker and Travis Henry might be out of Denver, I take McFadden here, but only for that reason. In my opinion I don’t really see McFadden in the first round, even though he is first round talent in every sense of the word.

#13 Panthers - Kenny Phillips S Miami (Fla)

While it’s debatable that Carolina needs a QB, Kenny Phillips is too good to pass up. While not being in the same class as an Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, or such, Phillips has the intangibles to play in the NFL, and be very productive. Fast, agile, and great at coverage, Kenny may look like a corner more than a safety, but his tackle ability is a sure thing, just not brutal.

#14 Bears - Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

God do the Bears wish they could get a QB right here. Too bad, they have to wait until the second round for the like of Joe Flacco or Colt Brennan (who is EXTREMELY underrated). WR is another pressing need, although I could also argue that they need a DT. But Kelly is one of many 1st round talented WR and is a great pick at 14.

#15 Lions - Dan Conners MLB Penn St.

The Lions have needed defense since Barry Sanders. Dan Conners doesn’t drop this far on most mock drafts but, like I said, it’s about need, not skill. Dan Conners is reminiscent of his former teammate Paul Posluszny in almost every way and is a proven leader on defense, something the Lions need desperately.

#16 Cardinals - Sam Baker OT USC

Arizona’s offense is only missing one thing, a ground game. While Fitzgerald and Bolden are almost guaranteed 1,000 yard seasons, former Colts RB James is not. James hasen’t had a 1,000 yard season since leaving Indy and Sam Baker is the solution to that.

#17 Vikings - Early Douchet WR LSU

The Vikings have a spectacular run game in Adrian Peterson, but their pass game has been suspect at best. Jackson has had his ups and downs at QB, and while rumors go arouns that Donovan McNabb might land in Minnesota, the Vikings still need a WR.

#18 Texans - Mike Jenkins CB Southern Florida

The Texans really need an OL, but they need anything on defense just as bad. Mike Jenkins was a standout from the "story of the year" USF Bulls. Jenkins is a shut down corner who seldom over pursues his man. His zone technique is questionable but not completely damaging. Look for him to suit up in the dark blue and red.

#19 Eagles - DeSean Jackson WR Cal

The Eagles have needed a WR for McNabb since the departure of the "player". While I don’t agree with McNabb staying in philly, Kevin Kolb would need a reciver too. Desean Jackson is another of the great WR’s in this draft class, and rightfully so. In his sophomore year, Jackson had over 1,000 yards through the air and nine TD’s. While his junior year was less than stellar, Jackson is still a big threat on reverses and kick returns, adding exponential value to his stock.

#20 Bucs - Limas Sweed WR Texas

Give more targets to the old man. Jeff Garcia has proved time and again that he can produce with weapons, just get some around him. With Cadillac Williams healthy again, Limas Sweed could really profit. Learning from the likes of Joey Galloway couldn’t hurt either.

#21 Redskins - Calais Campbell DE Miami

The ‘skins have put off getting a pass rusher from the draft for too long. While LaRon Laundry turned out to be an excellent pick, a DE is a MUST this year. The 6'9'’ 280lbs freak is exactly what Washington needs. Speed off the edge, strength, and pure versatility make Campbell and obvious choice. He can start right away next to big Griffin and Andre Carter.

#22 Cowboys - Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois

Rumors of Marion Barber or JJ being traded leave me to believe that the ‘boys will take a RB. Mendenhall is arguably better than McFadden in some circles (I believe he is too, but most GM’s don’t) and rightfully so, Mendenhall is bigger, faster, and more durable.

# 23 Steelers - Jeff Otah OT Pitt

The Steelers need a OT, Otah when to Pitt, why not??

#24 Titans - Mario Manningham WR Michigan

Vince Young needs a WR like Roger Clemens needs a ‘roid shot in his ass. Manningham wraps up the 1st round WR talent, and believe me, he is no less valuable than the WR prior. Manningham being picked here makes him the most valuable pick at WR.

#25 Seahawks - Fred Davis TE USC

Davis is a freak at TE. At 6'4'’ 255lbs, he can run, catch, and ... block? Yeah, he can block pretty well considering his modern day TE counterparts. While not fast like a Vernon Davis, FRED Davis can block like a FB, has the hands of a WR, and the speed of a typical LB. Move over Jeremy Stevens.

#26 Jaguars - Derrick Harvey DE Florida

Harvey blew passed most competition in the combine. With 4.8 speed and 31 benches

(tied for first out of all DE’s) Harvey dramatically improved his stock and Jacksonville needs an

end that can do it all. Look for this to be the biggest steal in the first round.

#27 Chargers - Adarius Bowman WR Oklahoma St.

San Diego has one of the best defenses in the league, while their offense ranked 20th. While having one of the best Tight Ends in the game, Chris Chambers is not enough at WR. Drafting Bowman, the 6'3'’ 220+ pound WR can free up Gates and Chambers considerably. Bowman is not a fast receiver, but he has a great understanding of routes and great hands as well as vertical leap.

#28 Cowboys - Dre Moore DT Maryland

I love the Terps, I hate the Cowboys, but if Jerry Jones doesn’t take Moore here, he is out of his mind. While Moore is 6'4'’ and only 305lbs. , don’t be fooled. Moore had one, if not, the best combine for a DT. For starters, he had the fastest 40 time at the combine for DT’s. Not surprisingly given his weight. But Moore had 31 reps on the bench, 3 less than Ellis! Moore is an absolute sleeper in the first round and probably won’t be picked here, but anyone who passes him will be sorry.

#29 49ers - James Hardy WR Indiana

I have a lot of WR going in the first round, and for San Francisco, it is no different. James Hardy is very intriguing in terms of physicality and athleticism. At 6'5'’, 217, with a 4.5 40 and a great vertical leap, Hardy could turn out to be the best of the bunch. Hardy caught 79 passes for 1,125 yards and 16 TD! Nobody in the entire league needs a WR more than Alex Smith and his 9ers.

#30 Packers - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee St.

At 6'1 183lbs, Dominique is tall, but small. He can bulk up in the pros while flaunting great tackle ability, a long wingspan to knock down incoming receptions and a knack for mirroring receivers’ routes. Cromartie can return kicks as well, which will add to his stock.

#31 Patriots Forfeit

#32 Giants - Erin Henderson OLB Maryland

At 6'2'’ 244lbs, Henderson is built like something out of a David Carr nightmare. Erin is another Terp worthy of the first round but might get clipped to 2nd or even 3rd where all the teams that passed on him will be sorry. Henderson was given All American honors and Acc honors while piling up 133 tackles, 11 for losses, one sack and one pick. Henderson can read plays better than most NCAA middle linebackers and covers like a OLB. Erin has the ability to be picked in the top 10, but unfortunately Henderson is not viewed the same way by the rest of the country as Terps fans view him.

Do you think Calais Campbell can play the Tuck role? Playing at LE for 1st and 2nd down and then shifting to a DT spot while Chris Wilson comes in at end for 3rd downs?

What i mean:

Carter, Montgomery, Griffen, Campbell - for 1st and 2nd down

then

Carter, Golsten, Campbell, Wilson/Washington - for pass rush situations.

Welcome to the world of mock drafting :D

PS: Campbell is not a 1st round pick after his piss poor performance at the combine.

Neither is Mannigham after running his 40 time in a speed that can be clocked using an hourglass along with the fact that he's only 5'11".

Andre Woodson at #3? Huh? He will be lucky to be a 2nd round pick.

I'm sure the Rams will take Chris Long over Dorsey if they go dline..

Woodson will not be a top 3 pick, I don't think he'll be a top 10 pick..

Al Davis will not pass on McFadden or Gholston..

Where is Mckelvin?

Brandon Flowers first cb off the board?

3 Qb's in the top 10?!!

Come on you could've done better than this...:(

yeah dude, this mock is a stretch, eddie please say the baby, hows it shoot if its plastic?

Do you think Calais Campbell can play the Tuck role? Playing at LE for 1st and 2nd down and then shifting to a DT spot while Chris Wilson comes in at end for 3rd downs?

What i mean:

Carter, Montgomery, Griffen, Campbell - for 1st and 2nd down

then

Carter, Golsten, Campbell, Wilson/Washington - for pass rush situations.

Not really.

To play a 1 gap DT you need strength and speed to get in between the gaps. Those two qualities are something that Campbell didn't show in his combine workouts.

Add to the fact that he was a one year wonder with a down year in his junior year, and it adds up to the fact that he should have stayed in school for his senior year.

You lost me once you had Brandon Flowers as the first CB taken, let alone as high as #11.

Cromartie will be the first CB to go most likely.

And if we pick Campbell it would be one of the biggest blunders we could make as a franchise in recent memory. He's got "BUST" written all over him- he's lazy, weak, slow, and has a bad team attitude. Definitely pass.

I also believe the Raiders would take Jake Long, and the Patriots need linebacker help first and foremost, not o-linemen.

Credit for at least trying to make a 1st round draft though.

No way Woodson goes that high. I think the Falcons might go DT or Long.

The Falcons will have good options in the 2nd round. I think they might go for Flacco then. I just don't see the Falcons taking Brohm out of Louisville! :laugh:

At 21, I am beginning to get on the Harvey bandwagon. He just seems a lot more explosive than Campbell.

I could see McFadden lasting until late in the top ten.

You lost me once you had Brandon Flowers as the first CB taken, let alone as high as #11.

Cromartie will be the first CB to go most likely.

And if we pick Campbell it would be one of the biggest blunders we could make as a franchise in recent memory. He's got "BUST" written all over him- he's lazy, weak, slow, and has a bad team attitude. Definitely pass.

I also believe the Raiders would take Jake Long, and the Patriots need linebacker help first and foremost, not o-linemen.

Credit for at least trying to make a 1st round draft though.

Biggest blunder? Not Lloyd or Archuletta, but Calias Campbell? Guys, I did say this is the way I see the draft going, if you have a problem with it, fine. But dont go after me like the NFL vs Mike Vick. Brandon Flowers btw is a GREAT player, i've seen the kid do things a CB CANT do, so, hate on my pick, all I said is this is the way I think the draft should go, i didnt say it will...lol. Thank you to those who had enough respect to give me props for even taking a week outta my busy life to complete a mock draft. You all act like any mock draft is THAT accurate... lol. Anyway ... something we can ALL agree on ... HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Not really.

To play a 1 gap DT you need strength and speed to get in between the gaps. Those two qualities are something that Campbell didn't show in his combine workouts.

Add to the fact that he was a one year wonder with a down year in his junior year, and it adds up to the fact that he should have stayed in school for his senior year.

I Think Phillip Merling Would fill the role of the Justin Tuck idea you were talking about. Calais is one dimensional and might actually slip to us in the second round. I like Merling (If he falls to us) or Sweed with the 21st pick.

Chris long will not fall to sixth btw. If the raiders have the chance to get him they will if he falls.

Biggest blunder? Not Lloyd or Archuletta, but Calias Campbell?

I think he might have meant one of the biggest draft blunders. I don't see Campbell going in the 1st round anymore. I certainly don't want him. Bad year, weak, slow, looked incredibly stiff in position drills. Only thing he has going for him is the fact that he is big. Problem is...there are big guys in the NFL too...and they are fast and strong as well. He sorta feels like this year's Alan Branch, but will fall farther.

3 qbs in the top 10(Woodson at #3 maybe round 3).

Mcfadden at 12?

Brandon Flowers will not be the first cb off the board. Mark it down.

Chris Long will not last past three.

not a good mock IMO.

Not to knock him, but I agree, I think this is way off. No way Woodson is picked anywhere near that early, no way Long is available for the Jets, no way Flowers is first DB is taken, no way McFadden slips to 12, just not very accurate in my opinion, but who knows?

Archived