Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 things Skins fans should be estatic about

The_cavalierman

Why should you be pumped up?

1. Vinny Cerrato is in a position where he can be held accountable.

2. Zorn has a plan and the front office is allowing him to execute it.

3. Zorn comes from the Holmgren school of discipline and accountability and he was a damn good QB so he has the experience.

4. The Redskins are no longer going to go nuts with regard to free agents

5. Zorn is all about football and less about the fluff. Zorn will tutor the most important player on the team which is a very good thing.

6. The Redskins are finally going to become fiscally responsible. It might get ugly for a bit but at least they are on the right road.

7. Fiscally responsible means a draft based organization (finally!)

8. The Redskins have some of the best coaches/teachers of football in the business so the team will have a higher football IQ. (see Pats, Eagles and Colts)

9. With a draft based organization cyclical replacement allows you to train replacements in critical positions and in most cases not experience drastic fall offs in performance or production.

10. The Hall of Fame game and being around great Redskins like Art Monk, Darrell Green and the other Redskin greats that week will set a great tone for players, coaches and fans and the Zorn era.

I am no blind optimist like some here but I think the Skins are changing for the better. The Skins finally have the front office in sync, a plan and it appears they are finally going to hold the front office, coaches and players accountable for what happens.

This is a great thing...

Agree with most of them, but a few I still take issue with

6. The Redskins are finally going to become fiscally responsible. It might get ugly for a bit but at least they are on the right road.

We still have no idea if they will actually do this or not. I am in the wait and see boat on this

What I would like to see is Snyder take some of that money he is saving from paying Lloyd and put it into the scouting budget

There is no reason the Washington Redskins should NOT have the best scouting organization and resources in the NFL. Currently it is the opposite with how much we invest in scouting

Good points, but I am still cautiously optimistic, I do love the direction they seem to be heading in.

Now to be the wise guy. Wouldn't this be the top 9 reasons, considering #7 is not a reason but just a meaning for #6.

I actually believe them to be two separate things:

1. You can be fiscally responsible and not draft based if you get a bunch of bottom wrung free agents. Not many teams do that but it is possible.

2. You can be a draft based team and still be fiscally irrepsonsible if you don't spend money. Small market teams probably do this often.

Agree with most of them, but a few I still take issue with

We still have no idea if they will actually do this or not. I am in the wait and see boat on this

What I would like to see is Snyder take some of that money he is saving from paying Lloyd and put it into the scouting budget

There is no reason the Washington Redskins should NOT have the best scouting organization and resources in the NFL. Currently it is the opposite with how much we invest in scouting

I agree with you 110% on the scouting department

I think we need to raid the scouting departments of successful drafting teams like the Eagles, Colts and Pats. Teans that are consistently competitive seem to all have great judges of talent.

Yes the jury is out on many of these points but I really think we are headed in a new direction. I think Snyder grew a bit through the Taylor tragedy and Joe Gibbs leaving. :2cents:

I agree with you 110% on the scouting department

I think we need to raid the scouting departments of successful drafting teams like the Eagles, Colts and Pats. Teans that are consistently competitive seem to all have great judges of talent.

Yes the jury is out on many of these points but I really think we are headed in a new direction. I think Snyder grew a bit through the Taylor tragedy and Joe Gibbs leaving. :2cents:

I am hoping so. Right now I believe the team only has about a half dozen to a dozen scouts, amongst the smallest in the NFL

The team should have at least as many qualified scouts as the team with the most in the NFL (I have no idea who that is) and a focused system of scouting

However you can't do that without continuity in the organization. My hope is that with Vinnie in charge and some continuity with the direction of the team, there can be a scouting system in place that focuses on attributes that the Washington Redskins are looking for. Therefore we will be picking not only some physically gifted players, but players who truly fit our system

I am hoping so. Right now I believe the team only has about a half dozen to a dozen scouts, amongst the smallest in the NFL

The team should have at least as many qualified scouts as the team with the most in the NFL (I have no idea who that is) and a focused system of scouting

However you can't do that without continuity in the organization. My hope is that with Vinnie in charge and some continuity with the direction of the team, there can be a scouting system in place that focuses on attributes that the Washington Redskins are looking for. Therefore we will be picking not only some physically gifted players, but players who truly fit our system

Agreed,

With the evolution of free agency the old questions were does he have an injury history and is he available?

The new Questions are does the player fit what we do? Or is the player so uniquely talented that we need to change what we do in order to accomodate this rare talent?

I did not realize our scouting staff is so small but I would hope they would beef it up big time. The other hope is that Vinny and Danny actually listen to the scouts.

Spoken like a true optimist, Cavalierman, but . . .

1. I don't know what Cerrato's true role was in past roster decisions. The people who know are not giving any details. Cerrato has the two key ingredients for a successful GM: the requisite background [which he has on paper] and the owner's trust. Whether this owner trusts him because of his football judgement, or because he will carry out the owner's flakey ideas, unlike that old fogey Gibbs, is yet to be seen. Cerrato is only accountable to the owner. Do what the owner wants and you keep your job.

2. Zorn may have a plan. He has to execute it while learning to be a head coach and an offensive coordinator. You are talking 2009 or 10 before you see a payoff. Think he'll last that long?

3. Discipline and accountability haven't been a problem for this team, so I don't see how Holmgren discipline solves anything. I caution against reading character flaws into team performance issues anyway. Execution, team talent level, injuries and sound game plans are bigger factors.

Interesting that Zorn was not the Seahawks choice for head coach or offensive coordinator. In fact, the Seahawks are going for Jim Mora to replace Holmgren. Mora has only been on Holmgren's staff one season. Zorn's been there seven. That means something, but cant say what.

4. If the Skins don't go nuts with free agents, that's a good thing. The salary cap and getting burnt in 2006 has a lot to do with that.

5. Every head coach under Snyder has been all about football and not about fluff. They've gone about it differently, of course. I'd want the head coach to be about team motivation, game planning and game management, and overseeing player development. I have the nagging feeling that the more time Zorn spends personally tutoring Campbell, the less time he spends, you know, head coaching. I think he is staying in his comfort zone.

6. "The Redskins are finally going to become fiscally responsible." Daniel Snyder still owns the team and Vinnie Cerrato hasn't been his voice of restraint. Time will tell, but history is not on the side of this argument.

7. "Fiscally responsible means a draft based organization." Early indications are you could be right about this one. But, keep an eye on any moves for Chad Johnson for draft picks.

8. Jim Zorn is unproven as a head coach, and the OC Smith didn't call the plays in Tennessee. It's too soon to know if they will succeed or fail, but they can't yet be called the best coaches in the business.

9. "With a draft based organization cyclical replacement allows you to train replacements in critical positions and in most cases not experience drastic fall offs in performance or production." In an ideal world yes. Twenty to 30 percent of the tream will turnover anyway. It's just the natural course of football. Lets wait to see if the Snyder-Cerrato-Zorn combo is really committed to the draft over time.

10. "The Hall of Fame game and being around great Redskins like Art Monk, Darrell Green and the other Redskin greats that week will set a great tone for players, coaches and fans and the Zorn era." I hope you are right. I really do. But, the Redskins greats aren't the guys playing. Zorn feels like the Steve Spurrier hire to me.

Nicely spoken cavalierman, my question is can we as fans trust Vinny to make some moves that can either keep the franchise sailing for a long time or to sink? I think we are in a wait and see mode. First up, is this offseason(FA and draft). I want to really see if we are going to build them team to float for 4 to 7 seasons.

Why should you be pumped up?

This is an absolute ludicrous statement. There are instances for FA and draft. If an opportunity exists for a great FA who fills a need; it makes sense!

Archived