Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we draft Zbikowski in the 3rd? (Merged)

Russell Shotgun

So my friend who is a ND fan has been clamoring on and on about this guy for a few years, so i decided to watch his workouts at the combine, and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed.

Could he be the answer at SS? He isn't listed as one of the top safeties on most draft boards I've seen, so he might be available when we pick in the 3rd, or perhaps even in the 4th (if we want to move up to get him).

He ran a 4.55 40-yard dash and was tied for 2nd in DBs in the bench press at the Combine. But I was the most impressed with his on-field drills. He seemed to have the most fluid footwork and hips-flipping ability of the bunch yesterday. Deon and Woodson were pointed out how most of the DBs would awkwardly plant their back foot at an angle when planting to change direction, and Zbikowski was one of the few who didn't do it.

He's undersized, and isn't the fastest safety out there, which is why he might drop to the third or later, but the dude can hit and has pretty good ball skills. He's also a nationally ranked boxer (good for on-field scrums), but is focusing on football.

The team has identified that they're not satisfied with the safety position. With more pressing needs, I don't know if using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a safety is the way to go (meaning Phillips or another top-ranked safety is out). But you've gotta think we're going to at least fill one of our highest needs (DE, WR, CB) through free agency or trades, possibly more than one (you never know with our Spendskins).

I think Landry proved he can be the answer at Free Safety (Landry is going to be good...real good...), but I'm not sold on Doughty as the future at SS. I think if we can grab him in the 3rd, or trade next years 5th for a 4th this year, Zbikowski would be well worth a serious look.

At the very least, he would fill the role of the token white guy in the secondary.

Here a highlight clip I found (couldn't find his official combine stats):

Note - I did a search and couldn't find a thread devoted to him as a prospect, so if this has been covered, just merge.

3rd might be early for him. I was actually glad to see Josh Barretts stock dropping so much cause I thought he would be a steal in the 3rd. But then he goes and runs a 4.35 40 and has pretty much the best overall workout of all the safteys so you can pretty much scatch that.

Zbikowski could be a Pro Bowl Special Teams player in the NFL but I just don't see him as a starting safety and I'm a BIG Notre Dame fan. He just doesn't quite have the instincts to play regularly at the next level but he runs well, hits and tackles. He can also return so I would be surprised if he went lower than round 4 and I'm expecting 5th round.

3rd might be early for him. I was actually glad to see Josh Barretts stock dropping so much cause I thought he would be a steal in the 3rd. But then he goes and runs a 4.35 40 and has pretty much the best overall workout of all the safteys so you can pretty much scatch that.

yeah but with Kenny Phillips dropping to low first round you think we could pick Josh up in 2nd? Would be worth investing in him!

I like the kid, as well as Silva from BC. I think eitehr one of them would be a nice pick up.

I think the both could help on ST in their first year, and then maybe give them a couple of series here and there and see how they do. Out of all the guys at the combine, you could tell those 2 guys really want it.

I wasnt that impressed with the other higher ranked DB's at the combine, although some will turn out to be good, I think these guys are the 2 safest picks for teams in need of secondary help/depth.

I liked him too, but i'm really rallying for Craig Steltz. Does anyone know what he did in the combine? He was a beast at LSU. And i'm sure Laron wouldn't mind having this guy back there.

Never heard of the guy, but I like the logic of pairing together two safties who have played well together in college. Hopefully this would make Laron better....

I liked him too, but i'm really rallying for Craig Steltz. Does anyone know what he did in the combine? He was a beast at LSU. And i'm sure Laron wouldn't mind having this guy back there.

Steltz is waiting for LSU's proday to work out. Which it seems is what all LSU's prospects are doing. I wouldn't mind having him either. He had a pretty good SR year.

i think the 3rd round for tommy z is a little bit early. if we could get him in the later rounds, i'd be all for it. bring in someone that would compete for the starting job and bring the best out of reed. he was a great punt returner and i'd definately be glad to have him back there returning punts. he's a tough SOB.

Adam Archuletta Part 2. Calling it right now (granted im sure it's been called before).

I am a huge ND fan and I think this quote is right on. His lateral movement is not great and I think he goes for the big hit to much and gets burned from it. As a Notre Dame fan I hope I am wrong but as a Skins fan I don't want the team to take that chance.

playaction hit the nail on the head, zbikowski is slow and terrible at covering the pass he should not be even drafted.

This is my favorite criticism here... He's slow. But I gurantee you're all over the Kenny Phillips bus who runs the same speed as this guy. I bet Kenny Phillips is the man when it comes to speed. :rolleyes:

How can you tell me a guy who runs 4.5 is slow? Even the commentators were saying that is a very good speed for a safety. You guys need to stop playing so much Madden.

playaction hit the nail on the head, zbikowski is slow and terrible at covering the pass he should not be even drafted.

:laugh:

I'd lol at the FO that takes him in the 1st round,but in day 2 he'd be a fine pick.

physical tools are decent,has a nack for making the big play,but has poor technique, there are much worse safeties in the draft. can also return kicks

I wouldn't mind drafting jamie silva or T-zib on day 2.

This is my favorite criticism here... He's slow. But I gurantee you're all over the Kenny Phillips bus who runs the same speed as this guy. I bet Kenny Phillips is the man when it comes to speed. :rolleyes:

How can you tell me a guy who runs 4.5 is slow? Even the commentators were saying that is a very good speed for a safety. You guys need to stop playing so much Madden.

speed≠coverage

Philips was a very solid coverguy for miami and can lay the wood with the best of them.but wasn't as much as a playmaker as you'd like?(teams avoiding him could have played a part)

Zibikowski was a liability at times in coverage for ND but he was a great playmaker for them.and he has the physical tools to be a starting SS.technique is a different story

As a ND fan as well and watching some games it seemed like he took horrible angles at guys and it killed him his senior year but also proved to be a true safety at ND. I think at the combine he helped himself a lot running a 4.5 and hearing good things about him. I think he will drop between 3rd-5th round.

I feel like we need to add another safety to compete with Reed Doughty,having competition is really gonna drive Doughty to play harder. I do beleive Reed has some upside to him.

Adam Archuletta Part 2. Calling it right now (granted im sure it's been called before).

Just about to mention that.... An undersized tweener (Safety/Linebacker) who is a work out monster. Archuleta left such a bad taste in our mouths that drafting Zbikowski would scare the crap out of me.

I'm an ND fan as well, a homer ND fan at that.

No way is TommyZ a 3rd round pick. I do think he could be a decent day 2 pick for SS depth purposes - but I don't see him as an upgrade to Reed. Sixth round, at best. It can't hurt to have some decent, young depth in the secondary.

i'd go for silva before the notre dame boxer, silva was a freakin machine in the east west shrine game, you hear his name every five seconds when he's on the field, he would be a beast like rock cartwright on special teams, danny smith would love to have this guy, as well a valuble safety depth option that wont send a message of abandon to our current secondary like a "kenny phillips" would, imagine how offended

everyone would be if you tried to literally replace sean taylor with the next miami saftey. he'd never get a chance here. yeah, silva is my saftey choice.

Archived