Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How come no talk on Faneca?

B&GPride44

With all the talk of going OL to DL or vice versa in the first two rounds of the draft...How come we haven't heard mention of us going after Alan Faneca in FA? Is it his age(31)? His price tag(Not sure we'd want to have to pay him Dock money at 31)? Or what am I missing here? I would like the idea of going with Faneca and Thomas as Guards going forward with Pete Kendall as a solid swingman(which is what he should be playing in lieu of starting anyway). Tell me you wouldn't like the sounds of that with Samuels and a sometimes healthy Jansen with Heyer ready to go at any time! Am I missing the mark here? I think it would be sweet to land him if we could afford him!~

With all the talk of going OL to DL or vice versa in the first two rounds of the draft...How come we haven't heard mention of us going after Alan Faneca in FA?

Good guards (which Faneca is) have been getting ridiculous deals (see Dockery, Hutchinson, etc.) lately. With the skins having Kendall and Thomas, signing a high-priced, 31 y/o at the same position is probably not the wisest use of resources. That being said, Samuels & Faneca would be a ridiculous left side of the line. Campbell would never get blindsided.

Skins need YOUTH at OL, to groom for 1-3 years down the road.

Good points across the board...I know the money is absurd that's why I referenced the Dock deal with the Bills last year, it was ridiculous! I know right Faneca and Samuels, Portis would have 1800 just on the left side next year! Haha! I agree with the youth movement. With Heyer coming on in a big way next year we need to start supplementing the rest of our line with youth for the future...

I'm assuming that he's not getting much attention from us because he's over 30 years old. Our entire starting line is over 30 years old. We need youth to shuffle in with those guys. We don't need more aging vets up front. The line needs to get younger.

There can't be much interest in Faneca with our current situation. He is only four years younger than Kendall and our current draft spots would allow us to take a decent guard if we really need one. We are in a spot where we can draft them late and spend time to develop them. That is a good spot to be in for us. Faneca is a stud but he's not playing a position where we have an immediate need. Kendall played solid last year and hopefully can keep that up for another year or maybe two.

IMO you pretty much answered your own question in your post. His age and the money that we would have to pay him.

Again IMO we are pretty much going into the 08 season solid on our o-line, with the only question mark being at RT. The little bit that Jansen did play last season he looked horrible. Lets all hope and pray that he can return to being the outstanding RT that he has always been known as being.

The price tag in this market will be huge

Vinnie Cerrato said it best with regards to how few FA's are out there now and how much they are asking for. That and the MMQB article by Peter King talking about the Redskins unwilling to set the market price

He is going to cost at least 15 million guranteed in this market.

With all the talk of going OL to DL or vice versa in the first two rounds of the draft...How come we haven't heard mention of us going after Alan Faneca in FA? Is it his age(31)? His price tag(Not sure we'd want to have to pay him Dock money at 31)? Or what am I missing here? I would like the idea of going with Faneca and Thomas as Guards going forward with Pete Kendall as a solid swingman(which is what he should be playing in lieu of starting anyway). Tell me you wouldn't like the sounds of that with Samuels and a sometimes healthy Jansen with Heyer ready to go at any time! Am I missing the mark here? I think it would be sweet to land him if we could afford him!~

Faneca is disgruntled and wants a new pay day. He's older, he won't last long enough for us to recoup our investment in him, and he was part of a Steelers O-line that in 2007 gave up somewhere around 47 Sacks. He may have been a great guard at one time, but I don't want him. We need to bring in Youth on the lines if at all, because all of our starters are basically over 31, Heyer is really the only guy that's young on the O-line. That is just plain unacceptable.

IMO you pretty much answered your own question in your post. His age and the money that we would have to pay him.

Again IMO we are pretty much going into the 08 season solid on our o-line, with the only question mark being at RT. The little bit that Jansen did play last season he looked horrible. Lets all hope and pray that he can return to being the outstanding RT that he has always been known as being.

Well at least with Jansen we know we have a solid young guy waiting in the wings with Heyer. I think we go after the kid from Auburn with our 1st rounder and let him play himself into a position. A little healthy competition at the LG spot never hurt anyone!

Am I crazy or is this and old post? Faneca signed with the Jets on Saturday. Hello?

If you're wondering if a post is old, just look at the date & time stamp of the post. Directly above the poster's username. So yes, this is an old thread, and yes, you are crazy. ;)

The thread had died about a week before you bumped it back to life. :)

Because he signed with the Jets like a week ago!!!!!!!!! Read the internet...........

Archived