Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pew Report on Religion in America

The_cavalierman

FACTBOX: Key findings of religion survey

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:26pm EST

(Reuters) - Twenty-eight percent of U.S. adults have left the faith in which they were reared, according to a survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life issued Monday.

Following are some other findings by the survey of religion in the United States.

* If change in affiliation from one type of Protestantism is included, 44 percent of adults have switched religious affiliation, moved from being unaffiliated with any religion to being affiliated with a particular faith, or dropped any connection to a specific religious tradition entirely.

* Among people aged 18 to 29, 25 percent said they are not affiliated with a particular religion.

* Fifty-one percent of Americans say they belong to Protestant denominations.

* While 31 percent of Americans were reared in the Catholic faith, 24 percent now characterize themselves as Catholic.

* Among the foreign-born adult population, 46 percent are Catholic and 24 percent are Protestant. Among the U.S.-born population, 55 percent are Protestant and 21 percent are Catholic.

* Mormons and Jews each comprise 1.7 percent of the overall adult population.

* Muslims, approximately two-thirds of whom are immigrants, account for about 0.6 percent of the adult U.S. population.

* Nearly 20 percent of men and 13 percent of women said they have no formal religious affiliation.

(Writing by Paul Grant, Washington Editorial Reference Unit; editing by Michael Conlon and Vicki Allen)

Link

For people of faith what does this mean to you?

For people of no faith what does this mean to you?

We need better border/immigration control? ;)

* Among the foreign-born adult population, 46 percent are Catholic and 24 percent are Protestant. Among the U.S.-born population, 55 percent are Protestant and 21 percent are Catholic.

fwiw, I don't trust the Catholic church,but to show I'm evenhanded I don't trust Huckabee either.

:poke:

WOOHOO! We got 51% of the population! :silly:

Seriously, its just statistics. Is there supposed to be some hidden meaning? :whoknows:

No hidden meaning that I am aware of...

I am curious if this shows a changing dynamic in America with regard to religion.

It appears parents are not jamming their beliefs down their kids throats anymore.

No hidden meaning that I am aware of...

I am curious if this shows a changing dynamic in America with regard to religion.

It appears parents are not jamming their beliefs down their kids throats anymore.

You would need to demonstrate that,since your stats show no historical comparisons.

I do believe people are more open to change and exploring other faiths/philosophy's today,and that churches are turning into social clubs.

You would need to demonstrate that,since your stats show no historical comparisons.

Are the numbers here drastically different than what people might have assumed?

I do believe people are more open to change and exploring other faiths/philosophy's today,and that churches are turning into social clubs.

The more I studied religion the more I became convinced that it is nothing more than social clubs.

Religion & faith are free will choices. It's up to you to receive what's been given. I've never "jammed" my beliefs down my daughter's throat. She's aware of what I believe. She attends church w/me when she wants to go. I don't force her. She's been baptized and knows there's a God. I wish she would attend church but usually when you start forcing ppl to go...you actually force them away. It will come in due time.

I think that info shows the reason why this country is in the state that it is in morally, physically and mentally. And it's going to get worse. I'm not perfect, never will be, but my life is so much better w/God in it than w/o. :)

Religion & faith are free will choices. It's up to you to receive what's been given. I've never "jammed" my beliefs down my daughter's throat. She's aware of what I believe. She attends church w/me when she wants to go. I don't force her. She's been baptized and knows there's a God. I wish she would attend church but usually when you start forcing ppl to go...you actually force them away. It will come in due time.

I think that info shows the reason why this country is in the state that it is in morally, physically and mentally. And it's going to get worse. I'm not perfect, never will be, but my life is so much better w/God in it than w/o. :)

Well said...and done ;)

Excellent post,

My parents jammed church down my throat but that did not turn me away. It was what I learned, studied and witnessed as an adult that convinced of the following:

• Man created God in his own image to justify his flaws
  • Powerful Men created religion in order to get others to do their bidding willingly. (Money, Power, Greed) must be maintained and Religion is the only way to do it where the masses will rarely question it.

Again, I can respect your point of view but I disagree.

I believe the country was divided by the folks trying to impose their version morality on everyone else. In their quest to move closer to God they have only succeeded in alienating their fellow man. That is why the number of people that don't practice any religion is growing. I do not need a God, a bible or a preacher to do the right thing. If I just treat people like I want to be treated then that covers as much ground as anything religion will teach you.:2cents:

I think that info shows the reason why this country is in the state that it is in morally, physically and mentally.

But that is just your assumption. Bad people are bad people, whether they are religious or not. If you look at the most and least religious societies there is no evidence of morality being stronger in one than another. It's been discussed here before but a much more religious society only a few decades ago openly practiced race and gender discrimination that would be appalling to us today.

I think that info shows the reason why this country is in the state that it is in morally, physically and mentally. And it's going to get worse.

A familiar refrain; the ancient greeks were saying the same thing. They were wrong too. :)

I'm not perfect, never will be, but my life is so much better w/God in it than w/o. :)

Good for you, but your experience doesn't mean the morality of society in general will get better with increased religiosity.

:cheers:

Excellent post,

My parents jammed church down my throat but that did not turn me away. It was what I learned, studied and witnessed as an adult that convinced of the following:

• Man created God in his own image to justify his flaws
  • Powerful Men made religion in order to get others to do their bidding willingly.

Again, I can respect your point of view but I disagree.

I believe the country was divided by the folks trying to impose their version morality on everyone else. In their quest to move closer to God they have only succeeded in alienating their fellow man. That is why the number of people that don't practice any religion is growing. I do not need a God, a bible or a preacher to do the right thing. If I just treat people like I want to be treated then that covers as much ground as anything religion will teach you.:2cents:

I don't think Peter and Paul sacrificed their lives because they were trying to get other people to do their bidding or were trying to justify their own flaws.

I do agree with you that Christians do alienate people. But there's no easy way to convince someone to believe in the same things, in the same ways that you do. I also think people live such comfortable lives now that they feel they have everything they need in life.

Good responses from everyone. At least I still have a hide..lol. All I can say is thank God we live in a time and place where we can all agree to disagree when it comes to some things.

I only spoke of what I BELIEVE...I wasn't trying to say what I BELIEVE is right or wrong for anyone else. I know people won't always agree w/what I believe and I don't try to change others' minds. You're entitled to feel, think, say and believe what you choose. That's what makes our world what it is...a new place each day. At the end of the day we all have to live in this world together, we should be able to do so w/respect for one another. I may not agree w/what you believe, but I'll fight for your right to believe it.

I'm not sure what the report means. It's not clear whether those who have no religious affiliation actively decide that religion was not for them, or that they just grew up in households where religion wasn't practiced.

If the latter then they could be vulnerable to anybody who comes knocking at their door.

Those who grow up in religious households make an active decision either way.

Good responses from everyone. At least I still have a hide..lol. All I can say is thank God we live in a time and place where we can all agree to disagree when it comes to some things.

I only spoke of what I BELIEVE...I wasn't trying to say what I BELIEVE is right or wrong for anyone else. I know people won't always agree w/what I believe and I don't try to change others' minds. You're entitled to feel, think, say and believe what you choose. That's what makes our world what it is...a new place each day. At the end of the day we all have to live in this world together, we should be able to do so w/respect for one another. I may not agree w/what you believe, but I'll fight for your right to believe it.

QFT:applause:

Another report showed:

In 1990 the nonreligious were about 7.5% of the population

In 2001, 13.2%

In this report, 16.1%.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Another report showed:

In 1990 the nonreligious were about 7.5% of the population

In 2001, 13.2%

In this report, 16.1%.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Seems reasonable numbers,there is a more accepting social atmosphere towards alternative philosophies.

I believe it is a sign of society searching for direction and truth.(which is both good and bad,as well as predicted in the bible ;) )

I don't think Peter and Paul sacrificed their lives because they were trying to get other people to do their bidding or were trying to justify their own flaws.

Peter and Paul's sacrifice were likely to justify their own beliefs (which were flawed):2cents:

I do agree with you that Christians do alienate people. But there's no easy way to convince someone to believe in the same things, in the same ways that you do. I also think people live such comfortable lives now that they feel they have everything they need in life.

Peer pressure, crusades and more lately politics are used to force views/morals on others. Except for the filthy rich I find it hard to believe people feel like they have everything they need in life.

I believe if people would simply treat others the way they would want to be treated then their would be no need for a God or religion.

If change in affiliation from one type of Protestantism is included, 44 percent of adults have switched religious affiliation, moved from being unaffiliated with any religion to being affiliated with a particular faith, or dropped any connection to a specific religious tradition entirely.
I think this is an important stat. It can include somebody who changes from Methodist to Baptist (like me).

Also, some anecdotal data, probably half of the Baptist's I know are ex-Roman Catholic who became born-again.

For people of no faith what does this mean to you?

25% of Young people actually get it. . .

* Among people aged 18 to 29, 25 percent said they are not affiliated with a particular religion.

Which is probably the largest % of population that is non religious. In other words, the trend is going in the right direction.

Archived