Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Cerrato actually sounding quite sound...

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Thank god the market is changing and forcing the Skins to use the draft more.

Lord knows if there was no salary cap the Skins would just sign everyone under the sun:laugh:.

I think the Skins are using the draft more not because they are "forced to", but because they mostly have starting-caliber players in the starting spots, and the need to trade for players has been greatly reduced. As proven with the trade for Kendall last year, the Skins won't be shy about trading picks if they identify a player on the market they can use to make this team better.

Jason

I think our rep as big spenders is overblown and I think the media hypes up every off-season move the 'Skins make, you see the Pats and other teams getting praises for what we do and yet Snyder gets criticized.

The Patriots and Cowboys spend at least as much money on free agents as we do, but they are in different media markets and for whatever reason their owners aren't as disliked as Snyder is.

Also, it seems to me that Snyder has mellowed a lot from the second Joe Gibb's tenure. He isn't a stupid man, why are we denying him the possibility of learning from his personnel mistakes? He was a new owner in 2000, and his franchise's first real success was in 2005. I think the Redskins, as a team and franchise, are in the process of figuring out how to be consistently successful. And like someone said before, it isn't like we are the dolphins or the raiders

That is not the point at all. If you look at what people are complaining about when ever they ***** about Vinny and Snyder is that they made these poor moves. That they picked these guys and that prooves they don't know what they are doing ...

You are saying that Cerrato/Snyder/Gibbs worked as a team, so Gibbs is responsible for some of the bad things.

That is true.

But that kind of comment doesn't lend much insight. Three people in an organization may be responsible as a group, but I am talking about who in that three are making bad decisions.

If you look at the moves Vinny and Dan made as SOON as Gibbs II left, it is clear that Dan, Vinny, and Gibbs were NOT on the same page.

it is also pretty clear that Vinny/Dan are not making good decisions. It is likely that they were responsible for many bad things that occurred during Gibbs II.

The moves related to hiring Zorn are the forerunners of further bad moves to come.

Cause we all know how good of a front office whiz kid Gibbs is!

3rd and 4th for Lloyd

3rd for Duckett

3rd for Brunell

etc

etc

etc

How do you know that all of these were made by Gibbs II, and not Vinny/Dan?

Based on Dan/Vinny's history of making bad deals in the past (before Gibbs II's arrival), I have a hunch that many of those moves have a lot to do with Vinny/Dan.

Even before that, most player selections have rested with Marty and Spurrier. Cerrato and Snyder have gotten the blame but virtually all the players going back to Marty's time have been players the coaches wanted. Blame them for not putting their foot down but don't blame them for selecting, drafting and signing players. These were players the COACHES coveted and wanted.

Do you remember who did the Bruce Smith, Jeff George, Dein Sanders, etc. deals before Gibbs II's arrival? And extrapolating from that, who is most likely to have done the later deals after Gibbs II's arrival?

I think it is pretty obvious the coaches selected who they wanted, but Dan and Vinny negotiated the deals.

Late one night at Redskin HQ, Snyder comes running into Vinny's office:

Snyder: Vinny, I was thinking and I just realized something!

Vinny: What's that boss?

Snyder: Well, I just realized that all those great players on other teams...

Vinny: Yes?

Snyder: They were drafted out of college! Every single one of them!

Vinny: Well, yes, that's true.

Snyder: Who knew that you could draft your own superstars? No one told me this!

Vinny: Well, actually...

Snyder: We could draft players!

Vinny: True, but...

Snyder: How much do draft picks cost? I want all of them!

Vinny: Well, actually sir, they can't be bought. We're allotted one per draft round.

Snyder: You mean like my 'Snyder Dollars'?

Vinny: Well sir, those 'Snyder Dollars' ARE our draft picks.

Snyder: You mean I don't HAVE to use them to trade for my favoritest players? I can actually use them to draft our own superstars! Brilliant!

Vinny: <drops head onto desk> Yeas sir, brilliant.

Hahah. How ironic that he is the one saying you have to overpay to get anyone in FA. Do you know why that is Vinny?!? It's because we spend millions of dollars on scrubs like Lloyd. We inflated that market, don't bring it up like it's something that just happened.

Lloydd wasn't a scrub when we brought him in... Until Chris Cooley (and perhaps Laron Landry now), we never gave away more than around $10M in guaranteed money to anyone. The other teams who gave away $18M+ guaranteed for OGs, CBs and DEs last season are the ones who really reset the limit. The Redskins might have set the bar in past seasons, but it was nearly doubled last season.

How do you know that all of these were made by Gibbs II, and not Vinny/Dan?

Based on Dan/Vinny's history of making bad deals in the past (before Gibbs II's arrival), I have a hunch that many of those moves have a lot to do with Vinny/Dan.

Because JLC reported that the coaches had a lot of say in those acquisitions. Do a search on JLC's postmortem on the 2006 season. It will be eye-opening for you.

Jason

Because JLC reported that the coaches had a lot of say in those acquisitions. Do a search on JLC's postmortem on the 2006 season. It will be eye-opening for you.

Jason

Take out your condescension, and your post will read much better.

I read JLC, and his blogs/writings are generally inaccurate and filled with his personal bias.

And yes, I know that coaches have input.

Lloydd wasn't a scrub when we brought him in... Until Chris Cooley (and perhaps Laron Landry now), we never gave away more than around $10M in guaranteed money to anyone. The other teams who gave away $18M+ guaranteed for OGs, CBs and DEs last season are the ones who really reset the limit. The Redskins might have set the bar in past seasons, but it was nearly doubled last season.

And if you look further in the thread, I say that we didn't create the high prices, we simply had a part(monster explenation). I would argue that setting the bar for several seasons falls under molding the monster. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyhow, someone was eventually going to pay top dollar for some players. Like you said last season it was other teams. Thing is, you'd expect us to be a good team with all the money we throw around.

Take out your condescension, and your post will read much better.

I read JLC, and his blogs/writings are generally inaccurate and filled with his personal bias.

And yes, I know that coaches have input.

Well, if you knew the coaches had input in the players they wanted, then why the constant bash of the FO?

Let's not time warp back to the 2000 season, but it should be noted that this FO has done things in the coaches will for a long time.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1228458~Redskins_won_t_pursue_big_fish.html

“I don’t see us being real active,” Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. “We have a lot of guys under contract and people are signing their own free agents quite a bit. You have to overpay for anyone out there and there aren’t a lot of guys out there.”

Could just be a ploy... you think?

He said that before he found out that Randy Moss is a Free Agent. The Pats didn't Franchise him. Wonder if Redskins One is warming up...?

Well, I'll be damned!! Glad to see our lil' Vinny's growing up! :laugh: All joking aside, I honestly think Vinny gets a bit of an unfair bad rap...so I'm glad to hear him speaking sensically, maybe this will garner a little more faith in the man. Baby steps, baby steps.

Archived