Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Cerrato actually sounding quite sound...

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://www.examiner.com/a-1228458~Redskins_won_t_pursue_big_fish.html

“I don’t see us being real active,” Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. “We have a lot of guys under contract and people are signing their own free agents quite a bit. You have to overpay for anyone out there and there aren’t a lot of guys out there.”

Could just be a ploy... you think?

http://www.examiner.com/a-1228458~Redskins_won_t_pursue_big_fish.html

“I don’t see us being real active,” Redskins executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. “We have a lot of guys under contract and people are signing their own free agents quite a bit. You have to overpay for anyone out there and there aren’t a lot of guys out there.”

Could just be a ploy... you think?

Maybe with more responsibility he's become more responsible?

Or maybe it's just a positive spin on the fact that we're broke as :pooh:.

No, there is some truth to what he is saying. I have heard it repeatedly on Sirius Radio.

The reason for it is that teams have so much cap space, due to the constant cap increase, that they are able to resign their own guys before they hit FA.

That combined with a generally weak FA pool anyway, and when teams have only 1 guy who would break the bank in FA they can just franchise him. That seems to be the case this year, where in other years more teams would be stuck with 2 or more top players with contracts due.

The few top players who actually hit the market will bank because the market is dry and so many teams will need them.

If you really take a look at it, we've really only gone stupid with free agents twice. Every other year we don't do any more or less than anyone else.

It's the reputation after the 2000 shopping spree that feeds the perception.

~Bang

1) We have no money.

2) There's no one out there.

Exactly. Both of these are true. And while there may be no one worth getting (at least the elite FAs out there), he would never come out and say, "Gee, it'd be awesome if we could get Asante Samuel! Too bad our cap situation is the way it is. Man, I'm such an idiot!". And that's fine by me.

So far, he's getting it done. Gone from $20 million over to about $6 million over last I heard and there's more to come. But if we were $10 million under going into this offseason, I bet he'd be singing a slightly different tune.

If you really take a look at it, we've really only gone stupid with free agents twice. Every other year we don't do any more or less than anyone else.

~Bang

Ummm.... Bang?

Does anyone "really take a look" at anything here?

~Bang

i think its just because of how truly bad those moves were. and we constantly have no draft picks because we trade them for garbage players. the team is managed in a dumb fashion and most of that falls down to vinny because hes the face of the front office.

i think since snyder took over we have drafted the least amount of players in football. and thats because we trade all the picks away for players that dont amount to much. couple that with giving away huge contracts to free agents that flop here, it all adds up in the long run.

Hahah. How ironic that he is the one saying you have to overpay to get anyone in FA. Do you know why that is Vinny?!? It's because we spend millions of dollars on scrubs like Lloyd. We inflated that market, don't bring it up like it's something that just happened.

Lloyd has never been a Free Agent (hopefully he will be soon)

Lord I wish he had been.

Just putting your mis information to bed.

Archived