Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bass Fishing

Henry

ESPN was on the TV at the bar at lunch today and they were doing a show on bass fishing.

I dont get it. I mean, I get fishing. But I don't get competitive fishing. How does that work? How does one determine who's the best fisherman around? I guess if you catch the biggest fish, right? But how much of that is, I dunno, sports? I've heard these guys refer to themselves as athletes. Are there specific methods of athletic training that enables someone to catch bigger bass?

Can anyone enlighten me? I know Bassmasters been around for years. I just still find the whole concept totally bizarre.

Bass fishing takes a lot of skill. Knowing things like lure color depending on water temp/color, moon phases, where fish hide, ect. It's sounds silly but I've been fishing my whole life and don't know 10% of what these guys know.

I could take a pro to a lake that I've fished a 100 times and he's never fished and he'd beat me.

The tourneys are usually based on weight totals. 3 or 4 days of fishing with a 5 fish limit per day. Most weight on Sunday wins.

Bass fishing takes a lot of skill. Knowing things like lure color depending on water temp/color, moon phases, where fish hide, ect. It's sounds silly but I've been fishing my whole life and don't know 10% of what these guys know.

I could take a pro to a lake that I've fished a 100 times and he's never fished and he'd beat me.

The tourneys are usually based on weight totals. 3 or 4 days of fishing with a 5 fish limit per day. Most weight on Sunday wins.

Henry, I'm with you in that it all seems kind of dumb, but this poster is 100% correct.

It takes a ton of knowledge and talent to consistently catch the big fish.

However, calling them athletes is a bit of a stretch.

Henry, I'm with you in that it all seems kind of dumb, but this poster is 100% correct.

It takes a ton of knowledge and talent to consistently catch the big fish.

However, calling them athletes is a bit of a stretch.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that it's mostly dumb luck or something. I just personally have no idea why it isn't. Just my own ignorance.

Archived