Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

150 MPG diesel car to debut in 2009

Raub

In Europe of course. Hopefully it will come to N America shortly after.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=457882

Loremo: The 'Low Resistance Mobile'

At 150-miles-per-gallon, the Loremo wants to show how far a diesel can go.

Loremo, which stands for "low resistance mobile," combines an efficient diesel engine with low weight and minimal drag to get upwards of 150 mpg.

The idea is deceptively simple. Forget about fancy batteries, regenerative braking, and alternative fuels. Instead, make a car that's elegant in its minimalism and efficiency. The Loremo's German designers revisited the basics — engine efficiency, low weight, and minimal drag — to create a car that offers fuel-efficiency in the neighborhood of 130 to 150 miles per gallon. The Loremo is likely to dazzle drivers not with its acceleration, but with its ability to drive from New York to L.A. with only three stops at the pump.

Loremo stands for low resistance mobile, and its engineers have stuck obsessively to this idea. By building the car around a 2-cylinder turbodiesel engine, and cutting back on weight, drag, and other excess fat such as side-opening doors, the Loremo puffs out a mere 50 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer. This is about 40 grams less per kilometer than the tiny diesel smart. According to its creators, this will make the Loremo the most efficient production car ever sold.

If the Loremo showed up as a concept on an auto show pedestal, it would certainly garner some attention. But the Loremo is not a car for dreamers; not only will it enter mass production next year, it will sport a base price attainable by mortal motorists: 15,000 euros (about U.S. $22,000).

Discuss: Will the Loremo catch on if it comes to the U.S.?

After its 2009 release in Europe, the Loremo will be redesigned to reach the North American market the following year. A $30,000, 3-cylinder GT model will also become available, offering better acceleration (0-60 in roughly 10 seconds, vs. 16 for the base model). Both hybrid and fully electric versions are also in the works.

click link for rest of article.

Diesels are going to be huge in this country within the next 5 years.

Goodbye hybrids, hello diesels!

Given that some of the world's finest diesel engines are made in the United States, though mostly for commercial applications, I wonder if those companies will be able to start making applications for passenger cars?

I think Audi recently placed 1-2-3 at a major Int'l race with diesel race cars

0-60 in 16 seconds. I'm sure that's lovely when trying to turn right on red in the face of oncoming traffic.

You must have missed this part:

After its 2009 release in Europe, the Loremo will be redesigned to reach the North American market the following year. A $30,000, 3-cylinder GT model will also become available, offering better acceleration (0-60 in roughly 10 seconds, vs. 16 for the base model). Both hybrid and fully electric versions are also in the works.

Put a turbo on the engine and there shouldn't be a problem with acceleration.

Jason

You must have missed this part:

Put a turbo on the engine and there shouldn't be a problem with acceleration.

Jason

I didn't miss it. We are talking about the 150 mpg version correct? Yeah, 0-60 in 16 seconds. I'd get one with racing stripes and try to get cement trucks to race me at the stop light.

In Europe of course. Hopefully it will come to N America shortly after.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=457882

Loremo: The 'Low Resistance Mobile'

At 150-miles-per-gallon, the Loremo wants to show how far a diesel can go.

Loremo, which stands for "low resistance mobile," combines an efficient diesel engine with low weight and minimal drag to get upwards of 150 mpg.

The idea is deceptively simple. Forget about fancy batteries, regenerative braking, and alternative fuels. Instead, make a car that's elegant in its minimalism and efficiency. The Loremo's German designers revisited the basics — engine efficiency, low weight, and minimal drag — to create a car that offers fuel-efficiency in the neighborhood of 130 to 150 miles per gallon. The Loremo is likely to dazzle drivers not with its acceleration, but with its ability to drive from New York to L.A. with only three stops at the pump.

Loremo stands for low resistance mobile, and its engineers have stuck obsessively to this idea. By building the car around a 2-cylinder turbodiesel engine, and cutting back on weight, drag, and other excess fat such as side-opening doors, the Loremo puffs out a mere 50 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometer. This is about 40 grams less per kilometer than the tiny diesel smart. According to its creators, this will make the Loremo the most efficient production car ever sold.

If the Loremo showed up as a concept on an auto show pedestal, it would certainly garner some attention. But the Loremo is not a car for dreamers; not only will it enter mass production next year, it will sport a base price attainable by mortal motorists: 15,000 euros (about U.S. $22,000).

Discuss: Will the Loremo catch on if it comes to the U.S.?

click link for rest of article.

$30,000..they can keep it.

-Grant

I didn't miss it. We are talking about the 150 mpg version correct? Yeah, 0-60 in 16 seconds. I'd get one with racing stripes and try to get cement trucks to race me at the stop light.

Where does it say the 0-60 in 10 second north america version WON'T get 150 mpg?

This is just the Diesel form of the car, DIESEL GASOLINE. Imagine what this thing can do as a hybrid or electric. We could see 200 to 250 mpg, maybe more depending upon the weight of the new parts and how the engineers design it.

Where does it say the 0-60 in 10 second north america version WON'T get 150 mpg?

This is just the Diesel form of the car, DIESEL GASOLINE. Imagine what this thing can do as a hybrid or electric. We could see 200 to 250 mpg, maybe more depending upon the weight of the new parts and how the engineers design it.

as a hybrid, the extra engine and transmission will make the car weigh too much for the engine to handle and you'll get maybe 0-60 in 5 minutes. :laugh:

Archived