Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Republicans feel entitled to the Presidency?

Tulane Skins Fan

Serious question for the republicans out there b/c I was discussing this with one of your party friends. Do you feel like the Presidency is a "republican" seat?

It seems some republicans feel as though that office in the government is something that is meant to be for a person of their party, or at least one who shares the conservative ideas. I think this is based on the thought that republicans are stronger on foreign diplomacy, and the President is after all the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

So, my question is, do you view that as part of the government that belongs to the republican party? And the side to that is that the Congress (the of the people wing of the government) is for the Democrats? Thoughts?

I am not sure what you are driving at here.

The logic makes no sense. Whomever is elected President must be both willing and capable of being commander in chief and manage domestic policy.

There are differences in nuance between Democrats and Republicans. But in the end, no matter who is elected, you would expect our elected leader to perform both jobs with the safety and domestic tranquility of the people firmly in mind.

The separate conversation as to the nuance between R and D is not what your friend is driving at. S/he is trying to make a blanket statement that simply does not fit.

I am not sure what you are driving at here.

The logic makes no sense. Whomever is elected President must be both willing and capable of being commander in chief and manage domestic policy.

There are differences in nuance between Democrats and Republicans. But in the end, no matter who is elected, you would expect our elected leader to perform both jobs with the safety and domestic tranquility of the people firmly in mind.

The separate conversation as to the nuance between R and D is not what your friend is driving at. S/he is trying to make a blanket statement that simply does not fit.

I guess what he is willing to say is that the Democrats should usually be in control of the Congress, but that the Presidency should usually be occupied by a Republican... by the very nature of the policies of both parties.

What idiot wouldn't think their party should have the presidency? If you are a democrat, you had better feel the best person for the job is a democrat. And if you're a republican you had better feel the best person for the job is a republican.

Let's think about this for a second. If what you believe is right, and you trully believe that, then anyone else is simply wrong. If you're in the middle then you are NEITHER labelled a republican or democrat, and therefore any candidate could be best for the job.

But your question is directed at REPUBLICANS, a political party where members have clearly selected a distinct position. So I ask again, what idiot wouldn't feel that a member of their own party should be best for the presidency?

I guess what he is willing to say is that the Democrats should usually be in control of the Congress, but that the Presidency should usually be occupied by a Republican... by the very nature of the policies of both parties.

Actually, I'd take a democratic president and a republican congress. We got welfare reform and reduction in the deficit when it was that way. Clinton's own weakness wiped out any other chance of reform in his presidency. If there was Monica Lewinsky; there wouldn't have been an impeachment. Ken Star had nothing until Monica.

I think Clinton and republican congress would tackled something else like social security; had his administration not have been derailed by scandal.

Serious question for the republicans out there b/c I was discussing this with one of your party friends. Do you feel like the Presidency is a "republican" seat?

It seems some republicans feel as though that office in the government is something that is meant to be for a person of their party, or at least one who shares the conservative ideas. I think this is based on the thought that republicans are stronger on foreign diplomacy, and the President is after all the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

So, my question is, do you view that as part of the government that belongs to the republican party? And the side to that is that the Congress (the of the people wing of the government) is for the Democrats? Thoughts?

No conservatives should run BOTH the presidency and congress :silly:

Its a given that there is an 80% chance a democrat will win.

Its a given that there is no conservative on the ticket.

So how can anyone come the the thread title ?

Side note: Can you really tell the difference between the two anymore?

Over the last 24 years government has grown, the military has shrunk.

The United Nations was neither needed nor considered in either.

The talking points during a campaign is never realized while in.

The corruption is rampant amongst both.

You can vote for Obama or McCain.. WOW! thanks.

Actually, I'd take a democratic president and a republican congress. We got welfare reform and reduction in the deficit when it was that way. Clinton's own weakness wiped out any other chance of reform in his presidency. If there was Monica Lewinsky; there wouldn't have been an impeachment. Ken Star had nothing until Monica.

I think Clinton and republican congress would tackled something else like social security; had his administration not have been derailed by scandal.

Agree. The R Congress forced R's to act like R's

Clinton had to move to the center, and frankly they both did a pretty solid job during the 1990s

You must not listen to that Flimbaugh dude.... 'Cuz we all know he's never wrong :doh:

This whole thread is the reason I'm an Independant.... Y'all be fightin too much...

Yeah, that worked out really well :rolleyes:

And the current democrat-run congress we have in place right now is working so well....:laugh: What exactly have they done for the past year and a half except posture for the presidency? Seriously, can you plleeeassseee tell me what the hell Obama's done during his senate "tenure?"

And the current democrat-run congress we have in place right now is working so well....:laugh: What exactly have they done for the past year and a half except posture for the presidency? Seriously, can you plleeeassseee tell me what the hell Obama's done during his senate "tenure?"

Uhm, Obama has nothing to do with this thread.

As I recall we had this huge budget surplus. And in their infinite wisdom, the Republican president and Republican congress wasted it all on an over-inflated budget with historic pork and earmarks, and delivered the rest to the people in checks (so they could spend it on foreign-made products) rather than re-investing the money in infrastructure so it would create jobs, or paying down the debt, or doing something remotely sane with the money.

What exactly did the Republican congress and Republican president do that was worth half a damn, or that would convince any sane person that they deserve to hold both simultaneously?

Uhm, Obama has nothing to do with this thread.

What exactly did the Republican congress and Republican president do that was worth half a damn, or that would convince any sane person that they deserve to hold both simultaneously?

I was tying in the fact that lead senators,Obama and Hills, from the democrat party have been posturing for the presidency from the day they got into office and haven't passed jack squat for laws...oh, except a minimum wage hike.

But whatever, my original post was made in jest. To be honest, I'm pretty disgusted with most all of the politicians on Capitol Hill right now...but moreso the dims.

Archived