Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Merling (DE) The Redskins pick at 21

voicekiller

Vinny has basically said we will NOT be drafting a DE at #1 so why all the chatter about it still?

No, what Vinny said that it isn't as high of a priority as other positions. That doesn't mean that if a DE is at the top of our board when we pick that we won't pick him. There aren't many positions on this team which you can rule out a pick with that first pick in the draft.

Jason

I would rather have Merling than Campbell also. Golsten is probably in a league of his own, and it looks like the Pats might get him. By the way the Pats should be stripped of all their picks this year since they admitted cheating for 8 years.
Since when did they admit to anything?

I wouldn't mind him. I guess talking to a Clemson fan about him won't give me an unbiased view, but it seems as if he's definitely a more complete end than Gaines Adams was as Adams was more of a speed rusher, which we have in Carter.

depends on which clemson fan you are talking about. if its a hardcore psycho clemson fan wearing blinders or if its a hardcore clemson fan who is realistic and realizes that even though merling is a beast for clemson, he might not be a good fit for other teams....

if you want to know any more about me, just ask. i was at or watched every clemson game except for one this year, and that was the only one not on tv.

we all know that Front Offices say things before the draft they don't mean to throw off the other teams...all teams do it

Hell, if I was Cerrato, I'd say "Our biggest goal come draft day is to try to sign a kicker, and a future Long Snapper after Ethan retires. We need to groom his replacement. We also might trade up for a punter if one of them tops a 4.8 40"

depends on which clemson fan you are talking about. if its a hardcore psycho clemson fan wearing blinders or if its a hardcore clemson fan who is realistic and realizes that even though merling is a beast for clemson, he might not be a good fit for other teams....

if you want to know any more about me, just ask. i was at or watched every clemson game except for one this year, and that was the only one not on tv.

He's definitely the first type. Bleeds CLemson left and right. I think he can be objective, but he also pretty much irritates everyone about it to the point where mostly everyone in my class, including myself, don't like Clemson much at all.

Merling will be solid. His ultimate upside?

You probably have to look no further than the Skins own Phillip Daniels, who was a similar prospect coming out of college, and Merling probably projects to have a similar career -- solid and tough against the run, might flirt with double-digit sacks one or two years, but won't be the kind of pass rushing threat that will get him voted into any Pro Bowls.

Personnally, I might prefer to take a chance on Campbell, given the choice between, because he has bigger upside as a pass rusher. But Merling would certainly be a safe, solid choice.

If Branden Albert is there at #21 then I think that would be a wise pick. We need help on the offensive line too and I think urgently. Albert can play guard and tackle. I think he could be the RT of the future when Jansen goes. The guy can start immediately also. I like the sound of Albert and Heyer on the right side also perhaps at some point. Albert gives us a top tier OL that is also versatile -something we need badly.

I agree with you though that we definitely should be looking at DE and DT with Merling and Harvey both worth looking at. Campbell seems to be the reach out of the top DE's in this class - at least the ones mentioned on most draft boards in round one.

wow! your thread title indicates the skins picked this guy 21st in the draft! i had no idea the draft came and gone and we picked a DE in spite of the fact we don't need a DE and our de-facto GM vinny cerrato made a very good argument as to why we would NOT draft a DE. this was a total shocker! thanks for the update

Archived