Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes.com: Position Series: Running Back Look Could Change In '08

tr1

Dear Lordie, only puke fans are dumb enough to think Bill will give up a #1 for a guy who FINALLY got a chance to be the starting rb in a losing bid in a playoff game. Barber is ordinary behind most o-lines...and was extraordinary behind that Sparano-coached line last year...that line will never be that good again...and neither will Barber.

I hope the pukes sign him to a long, long contract.

Rob Phillips - Email

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

February 17, 2008 3:10 PM

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=2941583A-0B9C-4CA6-CFDB743432E24187

IRVING, Texas - Depending on a team's rotation or injury situation, backup players may have a small window to secure a Pro Bowl selection. An all-star backup running back is a virtually unheard of commodity.

The Cowboys enjoyed that unusual but effective luxury last season when Marion Barber bulldozed his way to Hawaii with a running style teammate Terrell Owens helped define as "barbaric." Head coach Wade Phillips maintained Bill Parcells' two-pronged attack of Barber and Julius Jones this past season, but the carry distribution blurred the line between starter and backup.

Barber led the Cowboys with 204 rushes for a career-high 975 yards despite technically not starting a single regular-season game. Jones, meanwhile, produced the lowest totals of his four-year career: 558 yards and two touchdowns on just 164 carries. He rushed 197 times as a rookie in 2004 despite missing eight games with a fractured scapula.

The Cowboys finished 17th in total rushing during the regular season, averaging 109.1 yards per game. Barber, the Cowboys' first Pro Bowl back since Emmitt Smith in 1999, ranked fifth with a 4.8-yard average and tied for third in the NFC with 10 rushing touchdowns.

Also hoping for an extra spark, Phillips rewarded Barber by starting him in the Cowboys' divisional-round loss to the Giants - and he could assume that role permanently depending on what happens in free agency, scheduled to open Feb. 29.

Barber is scheduled to be a restricted free agent, but the Cowboys are widely expected to sign their young back to a new deal or at the very least, place a tender before Feb. 28 to secure a right of first refusal in case a team signs him to an offer sheet. The highest tender, a one-year, $2.56 million offer, would net a first- and third-round pick from any team signing Barber to an offer sheet.

When new Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland declared at the Senior Bowl Miami was "open for business" regarding its No. 1 overall draft pick, speculation began that the Cowboys might consider packaging Barber and picks for a chance to move up to take dynamic Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. :rolleyes: Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has since quashed those Barber trade rumors.

A stronger likelihood is the Cowboys re-signing Barber and finding a new complement through the draft or free agency should Julius Jones leave as an unrestricted free agent. Jerry Jones said after the season he didn't rule out Jones returning next season, but Jones publicly has expressed a desire for more carries in the past and could get offers to be the primary option elsewhere.

Jones is one of several backs headed for unrestricted free agency, including San Diego's Michael Turner, Oakland's Justin Fargas, Cleveland's Jamal Lewis, Detroit's Tatum Bell and the Giants' Derrick Ward. April's draft also will feature multiple first-round caliber backs besides McFadden. One is McFadden's Arkansas teammate Felix Jones, who has been training for the upcoming NFL combine at Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney, a Dallas suburb.

Third-string back Tyson Thompson also is scheduled to be a restricted free agent. Thompson lost his job as the Cowboys' primary kickoff returner and was inactive for eight of the final nine games, playing sparingly in the regular-season finale against Washington with home-field advantage already clinched.

The Cowboys have fewer questions about the fullback position, where Oliver Hoyte and last year's sixth-round pick, Deon Anderson, remain under contract for 2008. Anderson, who missed the final eight games because of season-ending rotator cuff surgery, was spotted at Valley Ranch recently and said his rehabilitation has gone smoothly.

Running Back Breakdown:

Marion Barber (restricted free agent): Punishing trademark style made him a fan favorite and one of 13 Pro Bowlers. Starting job could be his full-time next year.

Julius Jones (unrestricted free agent): Barber's emergence could mean his days in Dallas are numbered given his desire to become a primary option.

Tyson Thompson (restricted free agent): Replaced on kick returns but could return as a backup runner again next year.

Deon Anderson (under contract through 2010): Rookie provided a spark on special teams before his injury and could win a starting job outright next year.

Oliver Hoyte (under contract through 2008): Nagging neck injury sidelined him for six games. Willing blocker and good special teams player when healthy, but not a natural fullback. Played linebacker at N.C. State.

Miami will not be giving up the first pick in the 1st and 3rd rounds for Barber. With a strong draft RB draft class it is doubtful any team will go after Barber. The Cowboys will have Barber signed to an extravagant extension by early March.

One of the interesting discussions has been the Cowboys using one of their top three picks on another RB even with Barber extended. Barber is thrilled to finally be the starter yet he'd feel breathing down his neck from a top pick. It makes me wonder if Barbers stipulates something against this in the extension negotiations.

What ever happens MB3 is an exciting RB to watch but when given the opportunity to prove himself as "the man"....Well lets just say he is 0-1 as a starter with a Pro Bowl QB, WR, TE, and how many OL in front of him?

It makes me wonder if Barbers stipulates something against this in the extension negotiations.

So he's gonna have language in his contract that prevents Dallas from drafting/signing another RB?

Dear Lordie, only puke fans are dumb enough to think Bill will give up a #1 for a guy who FINALLY got a chance to be the starting rb in a losing bid in a playoff game.

BTW, most Cowboy fans have been saying for months that Barber will not be a dolphin (now if we don't sign him long term and he bolts after 08', that's a different story). We've only sarcastically said Bill is welcomed to sign either him or canty after we tender them with 1rst and 3rd qualifying offers. It's been you guys who have been saying Big Bill is gonna raid those Cowboys! ;)

BTW, most Cowboy fans have been saying for months that Barber will not be a dolphin (now if we don't sign him long term and he bolts after 08', that's a different story). We've only sarcastically said Bill is welcomed to sign either him or canty after we tender them with 1rst and 3rd qualifying offers. It's been you guys who have been saying Big Bill is gonna raid those Cowboys! ;)

Well considering that skins fans as a general rule are far more knowledgeable about football matters than puke fans I guess BP will be raiding pukeville in one form or another. :)

Well considering that skins fans as a general rule are far more knowledgeable about football matters than puke fans I guess BP will be raiding pukeville in one form or another. :)

Here's a guess...Ellis gets cut by the pukes in training camp...and ends up...will the Fins.

I'd say by the time it's all said and done, there will be five ex-pukes on Miami's roster next year.

:laugh: Oh really?

I guess that explains all of that pollyanna stuff about Jim Zorn.

Back to the original topic:

I don't see Barber going anywhere nor do I see him as the second coming of Earl Campbell or anything like that. The Cowboys need another RB and keep Barber as a change of pace, 4th quarter guy. I liked the idea of what they were trying to do at the beginning of last season. But Julius is obviously not the answer.

Count me in the group that would to see Arkansas RB Felix Jones in a Cowboys uniform. That and getting FB Deon Anderson healthy.

Archived