Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Direct TV advice needed

turtle

That is not correct. Most companies compress what they receive from the broadcasters. Dish Network for example, reduces the resolution on all HD stations and allocates far less bandwidth than the original signal. DirecTV did the same thing prior to their MPEG4 launch last year. They still do it on their MPEG 2 hd stations.

As far as HD, Directv is hands down the best right now and will likely be for the foreseeable future. They have another sattelite launching ths year that will add more capacity. The HD DVR also has video on demand now if you have broadband and you can schedule recordings from the internet or PDA.

THAT is incorrect. MPEG 4 doesn't mean they can now broadcast the full signal. MPEG 4 is just a more efficient format OF compression. That is why they are now able to hold more HD stations as opposed to the less efficient MPEG 2. MPEG 4 is twice as efficient in storage because it can hold twice the amount of content that MPEG 2 can with the same bandwidth.

DishNetwork also uses MPEG 4.

-------------

As far as the best HDTV; yes it does now with 90 + HD stations, Dish has 70.

Comcast will have alot of trouble down the road with a lack of bandwidth space.

FIOS because of their full fiber network is adding 60 new HD stations this spring and will have 150 by year's end.

I'm happy with my DirectTV HD quality, and I love the Sunday ticket. Just prepare yourself for terrible, terrible, terrible customer service. I'm usually pretty patient with customer service reps, but I've lost my temper more than once with these dipwads. I have absolutely nothing good to say about them.

Also, if you ever want to watch a UFC or boxing event, make sure to ORDER it EARLY online as it's impossible to get ahold of them right before or right as the fight starts. I've NEVER had smooth sailing when ordering a UFC fight, it's absolutely ridiculous.

You must be kidding. DTV is awful!!!!!!!!!!! The customer service is terrible and the picture quality is average at best. The techs are in a rush to set up everything and will charge you extra if they can get away with it. There is a reason :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: they have so many kickers and sign up specials. Remember you have to sign a contract just like Comcast. Buyer beware.

Well I ended up getting it. The installer got kind of pissy when I asked about the stabalizers and for the range to be in the 90's. (Thanks for all the advice) The signal is in the 94-97 range. The HD quality rocks (espically on a 72 inch tv LOL). Thanks again all.

FYI. If you have a box that can get off the air channels (DTV's HD DVRs can) and you are within range, do it. You can record the OTA channels like anything else and they are most of the time significantly less compressed that anything from CC or DTV. I am 60 miles from the tower and with a $40 antenna get full HD OTA in addition to my DTV locals.

As far as DTV goes, 10+ year customer, no problems, hardly ever use CS, dish always works, order PPV on the box (so never any issues), got free HD DVR upgrade and the installer was awesome (and free).

I've been a customer for 17 years, and while there have been a few small issues over the years, there has never been one time DTV didn't give good customer service.

Want to complain about their installs and what not, complain to Ironwood Communications, that is who is installing their equipment. Direct TV subs all of their outside work out, and does ZERO installs there selves.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Directv. I will never go back to cable. Ive had DTV for 5 years now, its great. Everytime i have any type of issue, my expectations are always exceeded by their customer service. Picture quality is outstanding. The number of channels in HD is outstanding. It kicks cables' ass in all aspects.

I've been a DirecTV customer for almost four years now. Picture quality and customer service has never been an issue. The only problem that I have currently with them is that their PVR box is awful. Slow response time to remote commands, lousy interface with sporadic hiccups in not recording shows properly.

I've been a DirecTV customer for almost four years now. Picture quality and customer service has never been an issue. The only problem that I have currently with them is that their PVR box is awful. Slow response time to remote commands, lousy interface with sporadic hiccups in not recording shows properly.

PVR? :whoknows:

If you are talking about the new DVR/HD reciever, i agree. Its a year behind the TiVo units.

This is from a few months ago:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4836380&postcount=7

The new HD package is totally sweet and i will have words with anyone that says otherwise, but the first generation DirecTV HD DVR's suck compared to a real TiVo box.

Archived