Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A different view on Todd Collins : Potential Hall Of Famer

Mickalino

Over the last couple years or so, that Collins has been on the team, all we've ever heard is that Collins' only attribute was his familiarity with Saunders' system.

Did anyone ever stop to think that Collins just has the perfect quarterback mind, and it would not have mattered whether it was Saunders' system, or another coordinator's system ? Maybe it was just coincidence that Collins spent virtually his entire career under Saunders. We only judge him by what he did with Saunders. That's not fair....And I don't think it's fair to judge him by what he did in Buffalo in his early years either, because he was so young and inexperienced.

But maybe there's more to him, than what we have to judge him by with Saunders and his brief slump in Buffalo.

So just maybe, with a new coordinator and head coach, Collins could flourish just as well, simply because of his mental sharpness and adaptability, and maybe his success wasn't just due to familiarity, or being a "one-system" guy.

Maybe we shouldn't just look at the fact that he learned Saunder's system, but how EASILY he adapted to such a complex system (and potentially to others)

I say these things, based on the following quotes from players and coaches who have worked with Collins. It's from a month-old article, whose link is posted at the bottom, but it might serve worthy to take note of these quotes - most of which have nothing to do with "Saunders System"

-----

"One of his shortcomings might have been that he never rocked the boat more to get another shot," Dan Henning said. "That is his nature. He is a very compatible guy to the team, he is easy to coach, I never heard a word of discord from him.

Collins learned offensive coordinator Al Saunders' famously thick playbook when the two were together in Kansas City. Huard still marvels at his former teammate's total recall.

"Did you ever see the movie 'A Beautiful Mind?' This is literally Todd Collins," Huard said. "You could give this guy Al Saunders' 350 plays on a piece of paper and he would read that game plan over, take it home that night and the next day you could ask him about a play and he will give you the personnel, the shift, the movement and the formation for every one of them.

"He can go back in time and remember everything about a conversation, where we were and what we were doing. He's just brilliant."

Collins once led the Bills from a 26-0 deficit to a 37-35 victory during a 1997 game against Indianapolis. He helped that Bills team get to 4-3 before struggling and losing the starting job twice in the season's second half

" He can come up with any type of stat off the top of his head," Springs said. "He might start talking to you about protein or something. You never know what Todd is talking about. He might start talking to you about the stock market or something like that. And then I thought he had said a funny joke, but his face was so serious, you don't know if he's joking."

"He smells everything," Huard said. "He smells the first football he throws at practice. He'll grab it, bring it right by his face, smell the ball, then throw it.

"Every game plan, every newspaper you hand him, before he reads it, he smells it. Instinctively. He has this nose and palate. He remembers the smell of every wine."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3180902

Sometimes, you have to be lucky.

Think about Tom Brady. If Drew Bledsoe never got injured, do you think Tom Brady would have ever become a HOF candidate? If Trent Green didn't get injured, do you think Kurt Warner would have won MVP twice?

What if Clinton Portis stayed in Denver, and posted four additional seasons of all-star RB numbers, he might be considered better than LT.

Anything's possible, if Todd Collins didn't get screwed by Wade Phillips arriving in Buffalo, it's very possible Collins could have had a very productive career.

Kind of cool post.

I see what you are saying, and its possible to an extent. Hall of famer? No. BUT in the right situation, could have been the right guy in the right place at the right time. Heck, he was this year for us.

Great respect for TC, but he's made a living because he was a career backup without the right opportunity presented to him during his prime.

"Did you ever see the movie 'A Beautiful Mind?' This is literally Todd Collins," Huard said. "You could give this guy Al Saunders' 350 plays on a piece of paper and he would read that game plan over, take it home that night and the next day you could ask him about a play and he will give you the personnel, the shift, the movement and the formation for every one of them.

I read the same quote previously, and I agree.

See also: Jim Zorn: Is Todd Collins your Rich Gannon? Re-sign him as if your life depends on it

You never know what could have happened if Buffalo didn't give up on him so fast. He could have 3 rings right now for the Bills. Those who are quick to throw in the towel on JC should take notice of this.

I wish we signed Todd 10 years ago, but I don't know if we would have had the patience to let him develop. I wonder how many great QBs have come and gone without ever getting to show what they can do.

"Did you ever see the movie 'A Beautiful Mind?' This is literally Todd Collins,"

I seriously considered the possibility of Todd Collins being autistic after a few of his interviews. Is that wrong to say? :whoknows:

Collins once led the Bills from a 26-0 deficit to a 37-35 victory during a 1997 game against Indianapolis. He helped that Bills team get to 4-3 before struggling and losing the starting job twice in the season's second half

Maybe we should bring him in during the middle of a tough game every year and let him play for three or four straight games and be assured of at least 4 wins during the Todd Collins Era each year? We can then bench him for the "real" Qb and thus avoid the inevitable TC letdown?

"He smells everything," Huard said. "He smells the first football he throws at practice. He'll grab it, bring it right by his face, smell the ball, then throw it.

I don't remember if it was Randle-El or someone else but there was basically this exact same quote this year by a Redskin.

Maybe that means that Damon Huard is actually the perfect fit for our team? :D

Was this really worth Mickalino coming out of self-exile, or is he just excited that Zorn has already spoken personally with TC?

It's quite possible that Todd Collins could be productive in the WCO offense, considering that he's pretty accurate in the short throws. Thing is though, Zorn has already told Collins that Campbell is our starter and future, and that he'd be our #2 were he to re-sign. It's likely that Collins would want to go somewhere where he had a legit shot of competing for the starting job.

I'm also encouraged by the phone conversation Jim Zorn had with Todd Collins this week.

JLC's account conveyed the official story:

New Redskins Coach Jim Zorn phoned quarterback Todd Collins this week to relay the team's interest in retaining the potential free agent in a backup capacity....

Zorn informed Collins that youngster Jason Campbell was the team's starting quarterback for 2008 and remains a cornerstone of their future, but Zorn praised Collins's production last season as well, league sources said, and told the veteran he considers him a strong No. 2 quarterback. Owner Daniel Snyder and executive vice president Vinny Cerrato expressed the same sentiment to many coaching candidates during their prolonged search, believing that Collins could be a quality backup even having to learn the West Coast offense under Zorn and no longer with his mentor, former associate head coach Al Saunders.

I thought the audio transcript of this phone call was interesting. See what you think:

Zorn: I'm really excited about what you can do in my offense, Todd. Of course, Jason Campbell is our *cough* *cough* starting quarterback.

Collins: It's decided? You're making Jason the starter?

Zorn: Mr. Snyder has an understanding with me. He told me, "Jason Campbell is the starting quarterback of the Washington Redskins." That's a direct quote. So, you need to understand what I'm saying very clearly. For *cough* cough* Game 1, Jason is our starting quarterback.

Collins: For Game 1.

Zorn: Right. I'm working on some special ball plays for Jason. 70 Greased Lightning is one of my favorites. Joe Gibbs actually called that play for Patrick Ramsey on Game 1 in 2004. We had a good laugh about that. I'm also working with Joe Bugel on something we're gonna call 50 Six Flags. Each of the linemen do a stunt where they spin 360, like a turnstile, and engage the zone to their right. Then there's 80 Bermuda Triangle Screen, which is a screen play where all the receivers disappear. Where are the receivers? Nobody knows!

Collins: OK.

Zorn: So just remember. Jason Campbell is the *cough* *cough* starting quarterback of the Washington Redskins. You can take that to the bank, my friend.

I think we should do everything we can to re-sign Todd. I also think he should be allowed to compete for a starting spot. Seriously... it was crazy a couple of years ago during pre-season when Todd was the only one who could throw a TD during the pre season games but he still never got a shot at starting... If he's better than JC, he should get a shot: it will be better for the team and for JC. Tom Brady always talks about how hard he worked when he saw his coach's notebook that critiqued him and how hard he had to work to make the team and get a starting spot and how that helped him become who he is. The competition would be good for JC and if he's too fragile to deal with it, that's probably not a good sign...

Seriously... it was crazy a couple of years ago during pre-season when Todd was the only one who could throw a TD during the pre season games but he still never got a shot at starting... If he's better than JC, he should get a shot: it will be better for the team and for JC...

This is what people fail to understand.

Let TC and JC compete. If TC wins, it will be temporary, given his age. '

And while TC wins games, JC can continue to improve. It takes time for a great QB to develop. Troy, Romo sits to pee (:D :D ), Eli (:D ), etc.

And I do think JC has the potential to be the long term starter, the franchise QB. If nothing else, JC has the dedication and an ability to continue to work on his game.

Given time, I am certain that he will succeed.

This is what people fail to understand.

Let TC and JC compete. If TC wins, it will be temporary, given his age. '

who cares about 1 season? You either take your lumps with him or you let him go. This would be the same as the kyle boller situation in Bmore. Either you allow him to perform or just get rid of him, plain and simple

who cares about 1 season? You either take your lumps with him or you let him go.

This is a formula for continuing to lose games.

To have a good qb, one has to develop a qb. This takes time. (e.g., Eli)

This would be the same as the kyle boller situation in Bmore. Either you allow him to perform or just get rid of him, plain and simple

That is not the same situation.

Campbell has much more talent than Boller. It is easy to ruin that, by putting him in situations before he is ready. IMHO, Campbell was improving quite a bit last year. But he was not quite ready for prime time.

"Every game plan, every newspaper you hand him, before he reads it, he smells it. Instinctively. He has this nose and palate. He remembers the smell of every wine."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3180902

HAHAH this cracks me up, my family always gets on me about that too. I've always been the one to smell everything new, or cooked or whatever.

TO me it helps my brain recognize what's goin on, I guess it's kind a like a realization moment. My brain can smell something and it gets me in the mood to do something, or eat. Its kinda funny to me but im sure a lot of people are gonna be like WTF?

Dont act like yall dont smell your new shoe swhen you pull em out the box!! haha or a new jersey!:laugh:

Campbell has much more talent than Boller. It is easy to ruin that, by putting him in situations before he is ready. IMHO, Campbell was improving quite a bit last year. But he was not quite ready for prime time.

QFT..

I totalllly agree.. I think onc campbell can know what hes doing like its second nature thtas when hes gonna become a really good QB.. He's shown a lot of great potential but is still very raw.

Until jason has proven to me he cant keep us in games and that he isnt progressing then thats when i want a NEW QB, but he hasnt done that so i still believe he is our future. I think WE should consider ourselves lucky if we get TC back next year cus then we wont have to draft any qbs in any round.

I think if collins wins the starting job in camp then he should start and keep it warm until campbell is ready.

IF campbell progresses like super awesome and beats out TC then he should start and then our future is now.

Regardless im pretty happy how campbell has looked and the response from around the league is positive on him so you dont want to let go of a positive player.

I hope ZORN really helps JC out, i heard the packages sounds exotic but are relatively simple.

you contradict yourself by suggesting eli. He played despite beign highly effective. Campbell was playing with a injuired squad for the first half of the season and was our early season MVP.

Archived