Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I wrong for not being sad Saunders is gone?

DWinzit

the team heading forward I think wants to see the offensive staff focus on developing Campbell and getting the maximum productivity out of Santana Moss and Clinton Portis.

perception true or not, it appeared Saunders was 'muddying' the waters to Cerrato and Snyder by holding out support for Collins as a candidate to compete for the qb job and for supporting Betts as a 'co-#1' back to Portis.

in this regard (and if it is true) I do agree that it was best to let Saunders move on.

the club needs to put the ball in the hands of a core set of skill players on offense and build in ONE system over time with those players. success comes when they are comfortable with each other and the playcalling.

with Zorn here we know that Campbell is the starting quarterback and there is no 'looking over the shoulder' in 2008 to Collins.

we also know that Clinton Portis again will be the undisputed #1 back and will be used in a variety of ways, esp as a pass catcher, that he was not for much of his time here.

My only problem with Al Saunders was that I always felt, (and still do), he was brought in to fix something that wasn't broken.
That is why the Saunders hiring was astonishing. The offense was on track to do big things, then they were forced to drop back to learn a new complicated system and change personnel.

with Zorn here we know that Campbell is the starting quarterback and there is no 'looking over the shoulder' in 2008 to Collins.

we also know that Clinton Portis again will be the undisputed #1 back and will be used in a variety of ways, esp as a pass catcher, that he was not for much of his time here.

These will be the two biggest pluses going into next season. Portis will excel in the system.

I feel like Saunders was the reason for our enormous let down in the 06 season. In 2005 I felt that the team (more importantly, the offense) had established an identity as a smashmouth team who would take shots down the field, play tough defense, and win games.

Along came Saunders and installed his finesse offense... I think it threw the entire balance of our team off... including our defense.

Even this year it never fully looked like the offense 'got it'. There were occasional good drives put together, but the team could never finish, and could never attain any type of consistency. I'm normally not one to put too much on the coach's shoulders, but in this case, I really do put a lot of the blame on Saunders.

I think the only real mistake of Gibbs' second tenure (that had any real negative impact) was bringing Al Saunders in.

I'm not sold on Clinton as a receiver out of the backfield. As great as he is as a blocker and a runner, he has always looked very akward to me trying to catch balls. We'll see I guess.

Any offense that takes 8 years of being a backup to master has no relevance in today's NFL. I, for one, am not sorry we let uncle Al go. Now, if he goes to ST Louis and Bulger goes lights out this season, I think we need to look at JC...but my guess is the offense there is stagnant for a season or two, just like it was here.

Royal was good enough for the scheme we had. I believe that Gibbs 2.0 suffered for signing Patten instead of Plax. I believe both got the same amount of money
I agree regarding Royal and was disappointed to see him leave. I was going under the premise that they let him go that off season.

On limited funds for FA the organization pinpointed Patten as their main option. If Plax indeed went for similar money, than shame on us.

Let's see, the Rams seemed to flourish in it when Al was there. The Chiefs seemed to be ranked in the top 5 offense every year when Al was there.

Yeah, I guess it was to complicated being that we seem to be the only team in his tenure that couldn't get it right until JC as injured.

Now sit back, watch the Rams next season and you'll see what this offense could have been. I'm sure you wont be hearing players over there whining about how complicated Al's playbook is.

Let's see, the Rams seemed to flourish in it when Al was there. The Chiefs seemed to be ranked in the top 5 offense every year when Al was there.

Yeah, I guess it was to complicated being that we seem to be the only team in his tenure that couldn't get it right until JC as injured.

Now sit back, watch the Rams next season and you'll see what this offense could have been. I'm sure you wont be hearing players over there whining about how complicated Al's playbook is.

Mike Martz System was the one that was implmented in STL. Saunders went to KC with his buddy, Dick V. They had one of the best oline in recent history, a legit QB(Green) and a HOF (TE) and played in one of the worst divisions in football

Mike Martz System was the one that was implmented in STL.

No, based on how each coaches' offense performed since Saunders left the Rams, it is becoming more clear that Al Saunders' offense was what was implemented in St. Louis during Vermeil's tenure. After Saunders left, the Ram's offense gradually became worse and worse.

By Martz's last year, the Rams offense was dysfunctional.

Saunders went to KC with his buddy, Dick V. They had one of the best oline in recent history, a legit QB(Green) and a HOF (TE) and played in one of the worst divisions in football

You are now just throwing everything on a wall to see what sticks.

You look at KC's offensive production. You listen to what Gibbs said about the plays that KC implemented when Gibbs brought Saunders. You listen to Vermeil, who also won SB with the Rams.

And it becomes pretty obvious that Al had a lot to do with that. As for the o-line, you are not getting it. In Saunders offense, the QB gets rid of the ball very quickly -- it makes the o-line look good. Like Collins did, even though our o-line was devasted with injuries.

What kills me is that JC was showing clear signs of getting better, until our o-line was decimated.

This year, we should have kept Collins, JC, AND Saunders, to see what this offense would have done, without all the injuries.

How impatient can an owner be?

Archived