Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I wrong for not being sad Saunders is gone?

DWinzit

I'm not sad, either. I was left scratching my head when JG blew up the offense and brought Saunders in in the first place...I felt like the offense was on it's way under JG (I felt like Brunell was the main problem, not the OC or the scheme).

When Al came in I wondered if there hadn't been some kind of pressure put on JG by Snyder but in hindsight, that doesn't look to the be case...Al really was JG's hire.

This is so redundant. I wonder how many of these extremers have ever seen the playbook. I honestly couldn't tell you it was too voluminous, cause I never saw a competing team's playbook. I do know that we ran the ball very effectively in 2006, with the line pushing people around. The injury bug hit early and often in 2007. In addition, bonehead turnovers (not designed by Saunders) caused us to lose to teams that we were smacking around in 2007. The TB game is a perfect example. Saunders was scapegoated, plain and simple.

I think Coach Gibbs should have continued to call the plays.
The team seemed to really be moving in the right direction with Gibbs. The right players were finally in place.

Bringing in Saunders and his system only retarded the team and players growth. One can only hope Zorns WCO is not a hard learn for the players and that he only requires a few personnel changes to be up and running.

Had no real issues with Saunders myself. We got to see a bit of what his offense could do with the team when Collins came in and at times during the season when Jason was in there as well. My only problem with Al Saunders was that I always felt, (and still do), he was brought in to fix something that wasn't broken.

This is so redundant. I wonder how many of these extremers have ever seen the playbook. I honestly couldn't tell you it was too voluminous, cause I never saw a competing team's playbook. I do know that we ran the ball very effectively in 2006, with the line pushing people around. The injury bug hit early and often in 2007. In addition, bonehead turnovers (not designed by Saunders) caused us to lose to teams that we were smacking around in 2007. The TB game is a perfect example. Saunders was scapegoated, plain and simple.

I've seen a NFL playbook. They're as thick as a phone book. People make too big a deal of the 700 pages. You don't have to memorize every page. It's like with a lot of engineering jobs, you have reference material to go over if you need to refresh your memory or learn up on something you haven't had to work with before.

Had no real issues with Saunders myself. We got to see a bit of what his offense could do with the team when Collins came in and at times during the season when Jason was in there as well.
As I read your post, I was about to correct you. I'm so used to people leaving out Campbell's success. He had flashes of greatness, and he could have been successful in Saunders' offense. It wasn't all roses for Collins, either - the rest of the team was showing signs of turning that corner near the end of the year, and I think they were close. Still, the offense faltered. The offense as a whole looked bad against the Seahawks and the Giants. Just think if they'd had a line that wasn't pieced together on the fly.

The offense was good enough last year to have us in every game except the Patriots debacle. That was with a young QB in JC, banged up WRs, and a decimated O-line. They were just getting comfortable with what they were being asked to do when the plug was pulled.

Todd Collins proved to me that the system was fine, and the way JC was developing told me the young QB was fine. All we had to do was be patient and let JC start playing more like TC, but with greater physical skills.

Oh well, on to the WCO and the growing pains that could come with that. I'm hoping for the best. Good luck to Al Saunders unless you are playing the :logo:

Yes your very wrong.......last year they struggled when that joke of a q-b was in there(Brunell) then when we had a with a very young q-b (Campbell) we lost our starting r-b (Portis) then Betts looked very good This year we lose the whole right side of our o-line in the first two games ( every other team in the leauge would have been done too) and all the other injuries w-r (moss)(Randle-el) the man NEVER had the whole offense both years. So your very wrong on losing Al Saunders

stop with the 700 page playbook....for the love of god

Saunders' offense had alot of formations and was somewhat like gibbs derived "air Coryell" old school offense. There are a few other teams running so called complicated scemes....they dont whine about play book pages. Saunders was a pro...he never publicly voice concerns even though he had to play second fiddle to Joe on many calls.

He got alot of the blame...until TC came in and ran the system.

Watch what Al does in St. Louis...

I know it means a new playbook, scheme etc...But seriously I never bought into Saunders complicated system and I never felt the team did.

I am excited to see the WCO in DC!

I couldn't agree more. I am soo happy Saunders is gone. He never fit in. What I have come to realize, and I am only a fan of football, is that you can't force your system onto the player. You have to find a scheme that best utilizes your player's strengths...something Saunders did not attempt.

I am not happy he is gone, because supposedly the "WCO" is the most complicated to run.

There is not one QB who has just jumped right on in flourished in the WCO, not even Joe Montana.

Besides;

Jason has been in the Coryell system under Gibbs and Saunders for going on 4 years. He was starting to look good and nobody knows how he would have done with Randy Thomas and Jansen in.

Now we will have to wait 2 maybe 3 years to see what JC can do, in the more complicated scheme.

Yeah, you are wrong for not being sad.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. You can feel however you want.

I think there are two schools of thought on this.

1. People who wanted to see him stick around because they wanted continuity on offense and wanted JC and the other players flourish in a system they were all used to.

2. People who didn't want him back because they felt JC couldn't handle this offense and a 700 page playbook was too complicated. Time to move on to something easier to grasp and for JC to develop in.

I think hiring Al Saunders was the biggest mistake Gibbs made in his second tenure as head coach. We were trying o build off a very good season in 2005 when we made the playoffs. Then the play of Brunell, Moss, Campbell and the entire offense becomes lackluster in 2006 because of this new coordinator. Gibbs should have never considered the thought of hiring Saunders.

But in 2007, the offense did make strides. We saw what his offense could do in the Dallas game, and with TC playing behind center down the stretch.

I think hiring Al Saunders was the biggest mistake Gibbs made in his second tenure as head coach. We were trying o build off a very good season in 2005 when we made the playoffs. Then the play of Brunell, Moss, Campbell and the entire offense becomes lackluster in 2006 because of this new coordinator. Gibbs should have never considered the thought of hiring Saunders.

But in 2007, the offense did make strides. We saw what his offense could do in the Dallas game, and with TC playing behind center down the stretch.

I don't disagree, but I think Gibbs felt he was spreading himself too thin and needed to have more in the tank for the entire team. So he looked at his staff and his choices were all guys that had not been in the league for a while either. Saunders made the most sense if JJG was going to step back a bit because they came from the same system.

A part of the problem seems to obviously have been that Gibbs could not step back as far as he intended or Saunders wanted.

Another coach, another playbook and system to learn. Will the Redskins have success? Time will tell, and that's one of the problems because it typically takes a couple of seasons to see results and up to 3 for WCO, at least according to Mike Holmgren.

Make no mistake about it though, Saunders is an offensive genius and he will make some team a hell of an OC and that team will have success if they have the right tools to take advantage of his system. It's a shame the Redskins could not cash in on it.

Undoubtly, the decision to hire Mark Brunell was the biggest mistake Gibbs made the second time around. Brunell was an albatross around the neck of the offense for the majority of time he played. The Skins may have gotten up to 1 good season out of 3 years of play.

Archived