Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An article we should read...

ragemdw

...before we talk about the West Coast Offense.

I will admit I have heard the term for years and not much about it. I hear a lot of people on here talk about it and I am pretty sure that they think they know, but most likely dont.

So I decided to do a little research and found this article on our favorite ESPN. While it doesnt go over a lot of X's and O's it at least shows that the whole league has some aspect of Bill Walsh's(sorta) West Coast Offense, even our own Joe Gibbs. So it should be interesting to see how our Jim Zorn runs the West Coast Offense.

Have a good read.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/history.html#

Most historians, even Bill Walsh will say teh Don Coryell is the true West Coast offense, BW runs the stanford offense....

I hear ya, thats why I put the (sorta) next to Bill Walsh. He still gets the most credit for it because of the number of successors of him that installed it.

For us it goes from Walsh to Holmgren to Zorn. So we arent that far off from the great Walsh.

Former NFL quarterback Hugh Millen recalled recently how Turner, in his days as the Dallas offensive coordinator, used to criticize wide receivers if they went even a few inches beyond the seven-yard break required on many of the timing routes.

"No sloppiness, no rounded-off routes allowed, trust me," Millen said. "It came down to running everything full speed, in and out of breaks, and being at the precise spot you were supposed to be."

Doesn't sound like B. Lloyd would be a good fit.

Doesn't sound like B. Lloyd would be a good fit.

Yeah, not really sure where he fits anywhere. Biggest waste of money so far. But hey if Zorn can get him to come out and do something productive I will be happy. We have seen that he has the ability to catch a ball diving across the middle. Too bad it was only in the preseason. But if Gibbs cant reach a man to get him to preform, then I dont know who can.

Most historians, even Bill Walsh will say teh Don Coryell is the true West Coast offense, BW runs the stanford offense....

Not to quibble, but it stems from Sid Gillman. Walsh is considered the father of the WCO, and he credits his work with Sid Gillman and Al Davis when he was a Raiders assistant as the basis of the offense. Walsh never worked with Coryell.

~Bang

Archived