Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is admitting you're wrong a sign of weakness?

Dictator

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So After a lenghty discussion in another thread, I found myself wondering...why won't this person just admit they're wrong?

Does admitting you are wrong mean you are a weak person?

Would your pride take a hit if you had to admit you were wrong on an internet message board?

Why do so few people admit they are wrong?

A lot that is discussed on this forum is purely opinion and in many cases, cannot be wrong. But not always. Opinions CAN be wrong.

Have you ever been proven wrong on here but were too stubborn to give up?

Actually i would think admitting when one is wrong is a sign of strength...it means you have the confidence to admit when you made a mistake and not being self-concious or feeling like your ego took a hit.

If someone continued to protest that they were right, even when shown demonstrable evidence to the contrary, it makes it seem like they are desperate to hold on to whatever image or status they've constructed for themselves (in reality or just in their mind). It's a sign of denial...a slave to their own self-concious. Sad really...just look at Clemens.

Now, if you admit to being wrong when you actually haven't been PROVEN wrong on any demonstrable level, i wouldn't necessarily consider that a sign of weakness either, but more a lack of good debating skills (or the stamina for it).

:2cents:

As its been said throughout history... I'm wrong ALL of the time.. thats how i eventually steer my way towards being right.

With the timing this is 1/8th off of being a call out thread ;).

It's just something I've noticed that happens in typical normal everyday conversations. People will admit to being wrong. However, on the 'net, people will fight tooth and nail to uphold their image of being smart.

I find it easier to say I'm wrong online to a bunch of strangers than I do to someones face.

It's just something I've noticed that happens in typical normal everyday conversations. People will admit to being wrong. However, on the 'net, people will fight tooth and nail to uphold their image of being smart.

I find it easier to say I'm wrong online to a bunch of strangers than I do to someones face.

Ha! So you admit you're wrong!

I truly believe that if my ex-wife could have admitted she was wrong about just a handful of things, we'd still be married. Seriously.

Needing to be 'right' all the time is a sign of great weakness. Admitting fault when it's warranted is a sign of great strength.

I truly believe that if my ex-wife could have admitted she was wrong about just a handful of things, we'd still be married. Seriously.

Needing to be 'right' all the time is a sign of great weakness. Admitting fault when it's warranted is a sign of great strength.

Hog, you've got ten years on this earth over me but I must say, I learned long ago that expecting a woman to admit that is a fruitless exercise in futility. You have much to learn my grasshopper. Just nod and agree. :laugh:

Most people will tell you that it's not a sign of weakness. That it's a sign of maturity and strength. They're right.

But most people rarely do it. And it's understandable....it takes guts to admit you were wrong, especially after a lengthy dispute, during which you spent all your energy. Then it's like, ok, I came this far, I'm not turning back now. But the road has to end somewhere.

Hog, you've got ten years on this earth over me but I must say, I learned long ago that expecting a woman to admit that is a fruitless exercise in futility. You have much to learn my grasshopper. Just nod and agree. :laugh:

Oh trust me, I know. Unfortunately your heart can make you want to believe in things that aren't possible, no matter how much life experience you have. :)

Archived