Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Worried About Our D

D'Pablo

20th, 20th, 1st, 25th, 22nd

For those of you wondering, those are the rankings of Greg Blache's scoring Ds in Chicago. The yardage rankings are much worse. He had guys like Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Warrick Holdman (when he was good), Phillip Daniels, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Walt Harris, and RW McQuarters, yet still couldn't get the job done. I'd argue he had a much more talented squad in Chicago than he does here.

Couple his track record with a defensive squad recovering from two major injuries (Rogers and McIntosh), with an aging front seven (excluding McIntosh and Montgomery), and missing the motivation of Gregg Williams/Joe Gibbs, I don't have my hopes up for this upcoming season.

I'm worried Blache = Edwards.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but Edwards had one season to prove himself with Spurrier supervising. He was terrible but at least he didn't have a long track record of being terrible. Also, what kind of D-Line coach doesn't believe the D-Line is the crux of a defense?

I think that Blache is going to be on a real tight leash and if he doesn't succeed this year, he won't be the DC anymore. As for the schemes, we will probably be running something similar to what GW implemented. The one thing that Blache lacks is the motivation factor. GW got the most out of his players

Yup. And Andre Carter sucks too, right?

Bears were terrible all over back then. Blache has contributed to the success our D has had, and he turned Carter back into a good DE.

It's not like he didn't do any good in Chicago:

http://www.redskins.com/team/cprofile.jsp?id=30

Blache previously was defensive coordinator in Chicago. In 2003, Blache's Chicago defense finished the season fifth in the NFC in total defense, and 14th in the NFL, the team's highest league overall-ranking since the 1998 season.

During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

20th' date=' 20th, 1st, 25th, 22nd

For those of you wondering, those are the rankings of Greg Blache's scoring Ds in Chicago. The yardage rankings are much worse. He had guys like Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Warrick Holdman (when he was good), Phillip Daniels, Brian Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin, Walt Harris, and RW McQuarters, yet still couldn't get the job done. I'd argue he had a much more talented squad in Chicago than he does here.

Couple his track record with a defensive squad recovering from two major injuries (Rogers and McIntosh), with an aging front seven (excluding McIntosh and Montgomery), and missing the motivation of Gregg Williams/Joe Gibbs, I don't have my hopes up for this upcoming season.[/quote']

Not to mention he would rather build a defence from the back in, which is rediculous. I have alot of concerns about him, and in all honesty wish he had been let go when they canned Linsey. Oh, and he doesnt like to pressure the QB. Yeah, we see how that worked for the Giants in the SB. :doh:

I'm not feeling very good about him leading our Defence.

I'm not impressed by Blache as much more than a stellar positional coach, despite the assurances from those who wanted to diminish the impact of Gregg Williams by crediting Blache. Williams is the brilliant tactician, innovator, and gameplanner. By contrast, Blache's term as a DC was pretty uninspiring, listless and vanilla. We took a huge downgrade at the DC position the day GW was dismissed.

Blache needs a strong hand defensive coach steering him from the head coach position, in my opinion. The problem is, we may have painted ourselves into a corner with Fassel (and with the inexperiened Zorn's need for some guidance at HC). It's been a horrid search, waiting for a miracle to bail us out. PR debacle, and major personnel downgrade across the board. :2cents:

I'm more worried that there will be a run on DL after the way the SB went. This is probably the one year we will look to draft DL early but we may be left reaching.

You hit it right on. We should have a stud WR fall right into our laps because the d-linemen are gonna be gone.

Archived