Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrFan

PFT: "SPAGS USING 'SKINS FOR LEVERAGE?"

If that's what being mediocre means then I hope we are mediocre next year. :D

I hope we are mediocre for the next 3-4 years if that is the case!!!

Me to. However a few wins next year (well at least 10 of them) will blow it right back in.

Fact is nobody outside of Dan and Vinny really knows where this is heading so ANYTHING you read or hear is speculation right up to the point where Dan taps on the microphone and whips the sheet off the guy who will be our Head Coach next year.

Me, I think given we have a first year OC it just makes sense for the HC to be a guy with a background on that side of the ball.

Given the source of the info there is hardly a surprise that this is all speculation and conjecture. It could just be PFT blowing smoke up peoples behinds to get some more site traffic after all.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Me too. It's rare that Skins fans get to throw up in their mouths in the offseason. Usually my vomit is reserved for the fall!

I feel skinnier already. Thanks Dan!

They're only saying Fassel because they probably trust Clayton from ESPN. I don't. I think Spagnuolo has a few people in his ear trying to get him to stay, but he is the decision maker. He didn't want the Falcons job, so he didn't interview. Had the Redskins previously requested permission, I'm sure he'd have interviewed. This team believe it or not does have more structure than the other vacancies this year and likely next year. Spagnuolo isn't Jason Garrett, it was very clear that he was using the Ravens and you could tell in how he talked to the media after his Baltimore interview. In my opinion, they ended up with a better coach in Harbaugh. Spagnuolo has evaded questions about this vacancy, and hinted here and there that he'd be okay with a staff in place, comparing it to his situation in New York. I think he wants this job personally, but is being careful to not say anything to hurt his chances. He looks like somebody who may be worried that Snyder may not want him, which in my opinion, is wrong. Snyder wants him, and if the tea leaves are correct, Spagnuolo will be our new head coach by Thursday.

From personal experience, I know that there are two types of individuals that Snyder wants around him. First, he likes a "yes man" so he can push him around to the point of humiliation. Second, he likes those who want to put him in his place. He is attracted to arrogance. In other words, he likes himself. Fassel seems to be the classic "yes man." Spagnolo may have the arrogance that attracts Snyder. I'm hoping for arrogance.

The arrogant approach (allegedly) sure worked out for Gregg Williams.

I've conceded Fassel is the coach and now let's just hope he pulls a Wade Phillips. It's certainly possible especaily if Jason Campbell makes the strides Tony Romo sits to pee did

"Snyder, speaking yesterday after a ceremony at Redskins Park to honor former Redskins Art Monk and Darrell Green for their election to the Hall of Fame, said Spagnuolo's effort in the Super Bowl did not go unnoticed.

"For the most explosive offense I've seen in years and years to just be slowed down like that is quite impressive," Snyder said. "We stayed for the whole game."

When asked if Spagnuolo's playoff outing served as a strong job interview of sorts, he said: "It would for anybody."

"Spagnuolo is extremely interested in the Redskins job, league sources said, despite Washington's unusual decision to hire its new offensive and defensive coordinators and fill most of its coaching staff before picking a head coach."

"Spagnuolo does not have any ties to Blache, but would be comfortable working with a new staff, sources said, pointing out he had little previous contact with most of New York's defensive staff before joining the Giants from the Eagles a year ago."

Full article here : Giants Assistant Joins the Parade

Wish he can sign him ASAP, so we can get all the things moving on.

The reality of the situation is that there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, if you have the chance to take one chances are you should do so. Look at Williams, he had the opportunity to interview for head coaching jobs after his first year here and turned them down. It didn't quite work for him the way I'd imagine he expected it to. You never know whats going to happen and you can go from great to goat in one year. If Snyder wants Spags, he should take the job.

Snyder has a huge opportunity to do something right and this may be his last chance to redeem himself for a while.

I know the "Leave Danny alone" crowd disagrees. :D

Well said.

I think sleeping in Snyders guest house would be creepy. Creepy like eye holes in the framed paintings, and revolving doors into other bedrooms. I just hope Spags made it through the night. ;)

lmao ive been thinking that since i heard the initial report..dan and vinny hidin behind the wall lookin thru the cat paintings...

There is another way to look at this. Maybe Snyder just wants the Giants to pay through the nose to keep their DC. Many people, including myself, think Fassel will be the guy anyway, so this just makes the Giants have to do something to sweeten the pot for Spags.

Maybe the Giants are being played and not Snyder this time (maybe...).

Hail,

H

I think sleeping in Snyders guest house would be creepy. Creepy like eye holes in the framed paintings, and revolving doors into other bedrooms. I just hope Spags made it through the night. ;)

:laugh: :laugh: I have thought the same thing. I can picture these coaching candidates sleeping with one eye open and a flashlight in one hand. It is probably setup like a creepy bed and breakfast room like they have in New England with a couple of knights in armor guarding the doors.

There is another way to look at this. Maybe Snyder just wants the Giants to pay through the nose to keep their DC. Many people, including myself, think Fassel will be the guy anyway, so this just makes the Giants have to do something to sweeten the pot for Spags.

Maybe the Giants are being played and not Snyder this time (maybe...).

Hail,

H

Why would Snyder care what the Giants pay for coaches salaries?

Yeah, Spags is gonna stay in NY. Because what NFL coach wants to be a HC? I mean there are tons of those jobs around. They're a dime-a-dozen. He can become a HC whenever he wants. And money? Well that is overrated too. A couple of extra million is chump change. He probably is just using the Skins to negotiate a better parking spot and better dental coverage.

Interesting numbers:

2008 Cap Situation

Giants - $24.47m under cap with 49 players under contract.

Redskins - $20.72m OVER cap with 45 players under contract.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

So, the Skins need to restructure some contracts and cut some players to get down under cap, then will need to sign about 10 players to get to the roster number. The Giants, fresh off a Super Bowl victory, are in the best position in the division cap-wise, and already have their roster pretty much set for next year.

If I were a up-and-coming coach, why would I want to come into this situation?

Snyder has a huge opportunity to do something right and this may be his last chance to redeem himself for a while.

I know the "Leave Danny alone" crowd disagrees. :D

The members of that group (the Snyderettes) goes up and down a lot ... just shifts like the wind. :)

Watch it have very few members if Fizzle ends up here though. :laugh:

I'm of the opinion now that it's going to be Fassel as well. (Or it will be a retread like Mooch -- personally, I'd like to see Mooch)

Think about it...why would ANY decent, up-and-coming-coach want to come to the Redskins with their recent meddlesome owner's history? (JG years obviously being the exception.) Why would ANY decent, up-and-coming-coach want to be head coach of a team whose staff is already pretty much in place? (It takes time to build working relationships and understandings and chemistry...at least any DECENT up-and-coming-coach would want to bring some of "his guys" -- like Parcells always does and JG did with Bugel and Breaux, etc.)

Everyone knows the history: Snyder fired Norv during the season when the Redskins were still in the playoff hunt, fired Marty after only year, meddled so much with Spurrier that he finally called it quits (that was a bad hire anyway). Finally after 4 years of Gibbs, he goes and boots the OC and DC.

I know that Snyder can throw gobs of $$$ at people, but look at how Norv and Spurrier's confidences were shot after their experiences here (nice to see they've bounced back and latched on elsewhere and seem to be happy). Marty? Well, I don't know...what can you say, he's just Marty

If Spagnuolo gets an offer and accepts, I'd really have to question his IQ. What expectations of longevity or continuity can any coach in this organization have? How would a failed first HC job especially in this organization damage his reputation and value further down the road? I know, I know "Washington redskins", storeid franchise, yada yada yada -- the past is awfully sweet, but Snyderrato calls the shots now.

Why would Snyder care what the Giants pay for coaches salaries?

I'm just throwing that out there, but you never know what kind of tension you can create when you get people to negotiate with each other. Maybe the Giants make an offer that Spags thinks is weak, so he asks for more....maybe the Giants won't budge. Maybe the players think the Giants management is cheap... You just never know.

We know Snyder doesn't mind spending money on coaches, but not all organizations feel the same way.

Now, do I think that's what's really going on....of course not. But, I don't think PFT really knows what's going on either!

Hail,

H

Possibe Head Coach openings next year for Spags. Based on the team totally bombing in 2008. In my opinion.

Dallas- no

Giants- no

Redskins- no

Philly- Probably not

Green Bay- no

Chicago- no

Minnesota- yes

Detroit- yes

St louis- yes

Seattle- no

Arizona- no

San Fran- yes

Tampa Bay- no

Carolina- yes

Atlanta- no

New orleans- no

Miami- no

New england- no

Jets- no

Buffalo- Maybe

Indy- no

Tennessee- no

Houston- no

Jacksonville- no

Baltimore- no

Cincinnati- yes

Pittsburgh- no

Cleveland- no

Denver- no

Kansas City- yes

San Diego- no

Oakland- yes

By my count, thats nine yes/maybes. 10 if you count the Philly job.

None of those teams are more attractive than washington. And that's NOT me being a homer. Of those teams listed, only the Vikings even sniffed the playoffs.

Add to that. Of every team that won the super bowl this decade. Only one (this years Colts) finished with a better record than they did the year the won the Super Bowl. One team (the 2004 Pats) had the same record.

Every other team finished at least two games worse. If the Giants do that this year, that's 8-8 & no playoffs.

Spags won't be the hot coordinator, and he'll be up against bill Cowher & a host of others.

This is his chance, this is his time. Get this done Danny......

So, the Skins need to restructure some contracts and cut some players to get down under cap, then will need to sign about 10 players to get to the roster number. The Giants, fresh off a Super Bowl victory, are in the best position in the division cap-wise, and already have their roster pretty much set for next year.

If I were a up-and-coming coach, why would I want to come into this situation?

Because you get an owner who is willing to spend and get you what you want. Because with a couple of moves we are $15 million under the cap

Snyders history will always haunt him. Alot of it is warranted but he has kept very quiet and behind the scenes the last four seasons with Gibbs as coach. I think he can convince a candidate that they will have say in football matters.

If Spags is hired the supreme optimism will make most of us forget the debacle that we've witnessed since Gibbs retired, and that's a good thing. Whether or not we'll be winners for real is still up in the air. But I sure would enjoy a positive, optimistic off-season.

I'm of the opinion now that it's going to be Fassel as well. (Or it will be a retread like Mooch -- personally, I'd like to see Mooch)

Think about it...why would ANY decent, up-and-coming-coach want to come to the Redskins with their recent meddlesome owner's history? (JG years obviously being the exception.) Why would ANY decent, up-and-coming-coach want to be head coach of a team whose staff is already pretty much in place? (It takes time to build working relationships and understandings and chemistry...at least any DECENT up-and-coming-coach would want to bring some of "his guys" -- like Parcells always does and JG did with Bugel and Breaux, etc.)

Everyone knows the history: Snyder fired Norv during the season when the Redskins were still in the playoff hunt, fired Marty after only year, meddled so much with Spurrier that he finally called it quits (that was a bad hire anyway). Finally after 4 years of Gibbs, he goes and boots the OC and DC.

I know that Snyder can throw gobs of $$$ at people, but look at how Norv and Spurrier's confidences were shot after their experiences here (nice to see they've bounced back and latched on elsewhere and seem to be happy). Marty? Well, I don't know...what can you say, he's just Marty

If Spagnuolo gets an offer and accepts, I'd really have to question his IQ. What expectations of longevity or continuity can any coach in this organization have? How would a failed first HC job especially in this organization damage his reputation and value further down the road? I know, I know "Washington redskins", storeid franchise, yada yada yada -- the past is awfully sweet, but Snyderrato calls the shots now.

If you don't mind, with this outlook, can I ask why you're still here? We should be looking at the unknown future as optimistic, not comparing it to the past. If I started comparing to the past, I'd think being a fan isn't worth it and I'd pack up and leave. You're entitled to your opinion, but if I saw the future as this gloomy I wouldn't even waste my time.

Why would ANY decent, up-and-coming-coach want to be head coach of a team whose staff is already pretty much in place? (It takes time to build working relationships and understandings and chemistry...at least any DECENT up-and-coming-coach would want to bring some of "his guys" -- like Parcells always does and JG did with Bugel and Breaux, etc.)

Bill Parcells & Joe Gibbs are better than Steve Spagnuolo. they have a proven track record & should be allowed to pick & choose their staff.

Why is everyone hung up on Spags picking his own staff? He's a first time head coach. I think this situation is better for him anyway.

Cam Cameron picked his own staff this year in Miami. How's that work out for him?????

Bill Parcells & Joe Gibbs are better than Steve Spagnuolo. they have a proven track record & should be allowed to pick & choose their staff.

Why is everyone hung up on Spags picking his own staff? He's a first time head coach. I think this situation is better for him anyway.

Cam Cameron picked his own staff this year in Miami. How's that work out for him?????

The only thing i would like for Spags to believe is an assistant to help him with the teaching of his defense and become the assistant HC-defense. Allow blatche to work with the Dline again or let him retire and take the money. Zorn is a west coast guy as was Reid in Philly.

you have no idea what spag is like as a head coach. for all we know he could be the best coach ever, or the worst coach ever. dont judge him before hes even coached a game.

and cameron had no talent whatsoever to work with in miami. he had an aging QB that went down way early, a weak oline, a mediocre group of receivers (and he traded the best one away), the oldest defense in the league, and ronnie brown, who went down early. age injuries and lack of talent killed the dolphins, not cameron. granted going 1-15 is about as awful as you can get, but at best he was going 4-12 with that bunch.