Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: "SPAGS USING 'SKINS FOR LEVERAGE?"

FrFan

SPAGS USING 'SKINS FOR LEVERAGE?

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is interested in the head-coaching job in Washington.

And if it means getting a big raise in our current job, we'd be interested, too.

David Elfin and Ryan O'Halloran of the Washington Times report that the Giants are preparing a contract offer that would include "a substantial pay raise" for Spagnuolo, who spent one year running the New York defense after eight years with the Eagles. Prior to that, Spagnuolo worked for a variety of colleges, with the exception of a one-year stint in Barcelona of the defunct NFL Europe (or whatever it was called in 1992).

Our take? Spags will be next year's Jason Garrett, if the Giants don't get blown off of the field in 2008. So why not wait to pick a job later instead of taking the last job left in the current hiring cycle?

The deciding factor could be cash. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder might be willing to pay Spagnuolo more of it than he could reasonably expect to make a year from now.

But control could be a big factor, too. In Washington, Vinny Cerrato is entrenched as the personnel chief and the coaching staff already has been hired for whoever gets the job next.

Through it all, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Jim Fassel is still the favorite for the gig, and we agree. In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job.

"In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job."

Many of us have thought this all along. Hope we're wrong. If Fassel is named HC I think I will pull a Gus Frerotte minus the padding on the wall.

"In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job."

Many of us have thought this all along. Hope we're wrong. If Fassel is named HC I think I will pull a Gus Frerotte minus the padding on the wall.

The fanbase would be even more pissed with that decision now. You cant flirt with the "hot" candidate and the guy who just won a ring and come back to the retread. Thats like going from Carmen Electra to Rosie O'donnel.

the only reason Spags will not be our HC is if he decides its not the right situation for him, regarding personnel and control over the coaching staff. Money will not be the issue he doens't come here, it could be the most important reason he does come here though.

The fanbase would be even more pissed with that decision now. You cant flirt with the "hot" candidate and the guy who just won a ring and come back to the retread. Thats like going from Carmen Electra to Rosie O'donnel.

Snyder has a huge opportunity to do something right and this may be his last chance to redeem himself for a while.

I know the "Leave Danny alone" crowd disagrees. :D

If Spags wants to risk a head coaching opportunity by going back to the giants, then so be it. The giants were pretty mediocre before their super bowl run and could very well be mediocre again next year, and if that happens spags can waive his head coaching chance bye bye. He'd be foolish to not take advantage of the great run they had and not take the job if danny does indeed offer it to him. :2cents:

If this is true, and not just simply a reality that Giants may want to "match" his salary as Jones did with Garrett, then I'm not sure I want him. Its shades of what "Rich Rodriguez" did to WVU Last year with Alabama, and then this year when they said have fun In Michigan :/

From personal experience, I know that there are two types of individuals that Snyder wants around him. First, he likes a "yes man" so he can push him around to the point of humiliation. Second, he likes those who want to put him in his place. He is attracted to arrogance. In other words, he likes himself. Fassel seems to be the classic "yes man." Spagnolo may have the arrogance that attracts Snyder. I'm hoping for arrogance.

If Spags wants to risk a head coaching opportunity by going back to the giants, then so be it. The giants were pretty mediocre before their super bowl run and could very well be mediocre again next year, and if that happens spags can waive his head coaching chance bye bye. He'd be foolish to not take advantage of the great run they had and not take the job if danny does indeed offer it to him. :2cents:

If that's what being mediocre means then I hope we are mediocre next year. :D

the only reason Spags will not be our HC is if he decides its not the right situation for him, regarding personnel and control over the coaching staff. Money will not be the issue he doens't come here, it could be the most important reason he does come here though.

Exactly....I would add that the Skins might not think Spags is the right fit for them.

Mora got more money as a result of the Skins' interest in him. Garrett got more money because the Ravens and Falcons wanted him.

There's no surprise. Coming off a Super Bowl win, Spags is going to get paid by somebody. Whether it's us as HC or NY to keep him around as DC, he's going to get paid.

The man is smart for making sure his own interests are taken care of too. Frankly, he'd be an idiot to come here as HC for Mike Tice or Lane Kiffin head-coaching money.

So :cheers: to you Spags.

If Fassel is named coach all of my enthusiasm will be sucked right out of my body.

Me to. However a few wins next year (well at least 10 of them) will blow it right back in.

Fact is nobody outside of Dan and Vinny really knows where this is heading so ANYTHING you read or hear is speculation right up to the point where Dan taps on the microphone and whips the sheet off the guy who will be our Head Coach next year.

Me, I think given we have a first year OC it just makes sense for the HC to be a guy with a background on that side of the ball.

Archived