Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Danny, do NOT listen to us (the fans)

kleese

First of all, let me say that I have always defended Snyder. Thought he got a bad rep from the media and fans mainly due to the fact that he wasn't very engaging, not because of anything really material. I've never believed he was a poor owner, and I, unlike many, actually recognize that the Redskins have been MUCH better under Snyder than they were in the 5 years prior to his ownership.

Having said that, I am finding it hard to defend him thesedays. I did not necessarily want Williams to be the HC, and I do NOT think it is "disloyal" to hire outside the organization if you believe there is a better candidate. I am not a fan of sacred cows. But the way this situation has been handled, has been pretty embarrassing and it's certainly hard to defend.

But one area that makes me laugh in all of this mess is the fans' voice for Snyder to "listen to Redskins Nation." What a crock.

An owner should NOT be influenced by the fans.

Case in point.

Read the response to JLC's "Mooch" theory. Most fans are OK with that possibility. And from reading fan reaction, I'd say the vast majority would prefer Mooch over Fassel. But let's examine that.

--Mooch has already had his second chance and did very poorly in Detroit. If you are going to attribute his failure there to the situation, then you need to be consistent and say Fassel got fired after an injury-plauged year in NY.

--Fassel has a conference title, Mooch does not.

--Fassel would be a retread. Mooch would be a retread's retread.

Yet, the fans almost to a man, would prefer Mooch.

Why?

Honestly, I think it's because he's funny and he's on TV. Fassel has a somewhat "bland" personality and hasn't been very visible since he left the Giants. Mooch, on the other hand, is engaging and funny on TV. Very likable.

I'm not saying Fassel is clearly better than Mooch, but the fan reaction is downright humorous.

Snyder has already gotten himself into a mess here. The worst thing he could do at this point is start listening to the fans.

Completely agree.

As an owner you need to hire whom you feel is right through the personal experience with the people involved as coaching options.

This fan outcry consists of people unconnected to professional football in any meaningful way. We don't even know what we don't know so to speak.

So since you're going to get the blame from fans whomever you hire....please hire the guy you feel is right and if you win all these people will pretty much forget they made the coaching search seem so dramatic.

Mooch would be an awful choice. So would Fassel. I was never sold on Gregg Williams either as being the next head coach, which is why I was glad to see Snyder going out and doing interviews with lots of candidates

The handling of this entire situation is one of the biggest embarrasments in team history.

My thinking is if you go outside of the organization, don't go with a 58 year old retread, find someone young that can lead the team for the next decade

I think that man is Jim Schwartz, but it appears he is out of the running

Mooch would be an awful choice. So would Fassel. I was never sold on Gregg Williams either as being the next head coach, which is why I was glad to see Snyder going out and doing interviews with lots of candidates

The handling of this entire situation is one of the biggest embarrasments in team history.

My thinking is if you go outside of the organization, don't go with a 58 year old retread, find someone young that can lead the team for the next decade

I think that man is Jim Schwartz, but it appears he is out of the running

These are all great points. However, you may have missed the point of the thread... which was that DannyBoy should ignore all your points

That might even be fine if he would hire a real GM

Course, the winners of 8 of the last 10 Superbowls have all been retreads, and both participants of this Superbowl are retreads.

I really don't care who we get, as long as we win.

Jason

In particular, please Danny, don't listen to the author of this thread

:laugh:

People like Moochie due to the fact he just seem to look happy and has that likable face. Fassel well all of the pictures I have seen him in doesn't look like he has much of an expression on his face. But wait neither does Belichick!

I for one am not whining that Williams wasn't named head coach. I am complaining that Synder has gone back to his idiotic ways. Hiring asst coaches before a head coach? Bush league.

I have been arguing for Synder to hire a GM for a long time. And I still believe he SHOULD listen to us fans that are pushing for that. Of course he won't. Because if Synder has proven one thing, it's that he wants to win, but on HIS terms. Fans be damned.

First of all, let me say that I have always defended Snyder. Thought he got a bad rep from the media and fans mainly due to the fact that he wasn't very engaging, not because of anything really material. I've never believed he was a poor owner, and I, unlike many, actually recognize that the Redskins have been MUCH better under Snyder than they were in the 5 years prior to his ownership.

Having said that, I am finding it hard to defend him thesedays. I did not necessarily want Williams to be the HC, and I do NOT think it is "disloyal" to hire outside the organization if you believe there is a better candidate. I am not a fan of sacred cows. But the way this situation has been handled, has been pretty embarrassing and it's certainly hard to defend.

But one area that makes me laugh in all of this mess is the fans' voice for Snyder to "listen to Redskins Nation." What a crock.

Case in point.

Read the response to JLC's "Mooch" theory. Most fans are OK with that possibility. And from reading fan reaction, I'd say the vast majority would prefer Mooch over Fassel. But let's examine that.

--Mooch has already had his second chance and did very poorly in Detroit. If you are going to attribute his failure there to the situation, then you need to be consistent and say Fassel got fired after an injury-plauged year in NY.

Why?

Honestly, I think it's because he's funny and he's on TV. Fassel has a somewhat "bland" personality and hasn't been very visible since he left the Giants. Mooch, on the other hand, is engaging and funny on TV. Very likable.

I'm not saying Fassel is clearly better than Mooch, but the fan reaction is downright humorous.

Snyder has already gotten himself into a mess here. The worst thing he could do at this point is start listening to the fans.

The point that fans want Mario & Luigi to operate like the other 31 teams should be ignored?? Gimme a break. Bad thread, try again.

Why?

At first I was kinda weary of the thread until I read it and you bring up some valid points but before you throw Mooch completely under the bus I have to give his tenure in Detroit somewhat of a pass because of "GM" Matt Millen it's hard to win when you're "GM" keeps drafting WR's every year. Drafting Joey Harrington and trading for Jon Kitna didn't help either. My :2cents: is... what upsets fans around here is that "from a football" standpoint, Synder comes across as forgetting more about football than we will ever know. It's like me going to Synder Communications and ripping it apart (knowing I don't know squat about the business but you can't tell me anything). As well as his refusal to surround himself with "KNOWLEDGABLE" football people. The fact that this has been going on since he bought the team several years ago, upsets fans the most. Just MHO.

I don't think it's purely charisma. There are a lot of tangible reasons Mooch makes a better choice.

1. Age - No contest. Fassel is on his way out, Mooch is just hitting his coaching prime. If anything, they need some more youth and enthusiasm on this staff.

2. The West Coast pedigree. Like it or not, this looks like where they are heading. Fassel is a very bland offensive play caller, and certainly no expert in the WCO. Mariucci is right from the Holmgren tree like Zorn. He would fit that scheme much better than Fassel.

3. At least Mariccui got another job after his first gig. Fassel hasn't gotten a whiff of another HC position since he got fired YEARS ago. In this league, that is really disturbing.

I guess I am the glass is half full kind of guy because personally I do not think it matters who we hire as our coach, I still am going to continue to drink the Kool Aid and think the redskins will do awesome next year IF they fill some key holes in the Offense & defense.

I think the way for a team to be successful is to have as close to ALL of the players drinking whatever Kool aid the HC, OC, & DC is serving up. if the players get behind the belief of the system they are running then everybody will be playing to win and not just half stepping it.

I have to believe that Snyder also must already have a good idea who he is going to hire because why would you assign a OC & DC without getting imput from the guy who is running the ship. If the new HC had no say then that will be his cop out if he fails.

I dont think alot of us on here want snyder to make a decision based on fan support. What we want is consistancy. What we want is to have a coaching staff in place that lead us to the playoffs. We as a fanbase are tired of the Musical chair approach to coaching and the front office. It seems like every 2-3 years we have to start over because danny has some sort of epiphany.

He is a horrible owner. Unfortunatley what he fails to grasp is that you cannot run an NFL franchise like a fortune 500 company. Just look at the most recent success in league. Rooney, Craft, hell even Georgia Frontier. They all realize their role and that is to sit their rich asses in the luxury box and let the coaches coach the players play. I'm sick of reading about you snyder apologists. It's time to wake up and realize that we are once again a franchise spiraling out of control.

We're on the same page, Ed.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4797217&postcount=24

That said ... the day I find out the owner of my favorite team is basing a decision as crucial as the hiring of a head coach on what fans say, be it on a pot-stirring sporttalk radio host's show, the internet, or just the corner bar, is the day I get really, REALLY worried about my chances of ever celebrating another Lombardi Trophy.

I'll add that I suspect the fans had something to do with Gibbs' decision to retire again, as well. His family concerns obviously were the prime mover, but my guess is four years of listening to the crap that comes out of message boards and talk radio, with "Joe must go!" chants at FedEx as the cherry on top, was enough to tip the scales.

The man came out of retirement in large part FOR the fans, because the sorry state of the franchise bothered him and he thought he could do something about it. His thanks was the response he got from the unfortunately VERY loud minority of fans that make 75% of the noise.

Completely agree.

As an owner you need to hire whom you feel is right through the personal experience with the people involved as coaching options.

This fan outcry consists of people unconnected to professional football in any meaningful way. We don't even know what we don't know so to speak.

So since you're going to get the blame from fans whomever you hire....please hire the guy you feel is right and if you win all these people will pretty much forget they made the coaching search seem so dramatic.

I also completely agree. There arm so many armchair types out there these days, its ridiculous.

This reminds me a lot of the 2005 draft - there were dozens of people going crazy around here because we didn't draft Mike Williams - saying what idiots we were and how we'd be sorry.

Snyder has to make a tough decision here and I know he doesn't want to have to go through this again in 2 years. I think he wants someone who will be here for 10 years.

Case in point.

Why?

nice bait and switch!

comparing Snyder's tenure to the previous 10 years is like comparing ships that sink at different rates!....the end result is still the same!.. :laugh: :D :laugh:

Archived