Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: In Snyder's World, This Makes Complete Sense

stwasm

In case you hadn't noticed, there's been a significant lowering of expectations in Ashburn. Not so long ago, coaches (e.g. Norv Turner) were fired in the middle of the season for the crime of being 7-6 — a year after winning the division, no less. Now, coaches (e.g. Joe Gibbs) are given ticker-tape parades for posting a 31-36 record and missing the playoffs as often as not. In education, it's called grade inflation.

Snyder insists he's pleased with where the team is — nine years after he hocked the silverware to buy it — and to back up that claim he has just given Vinny Cerrato the lofty title of executive vice president/football operations. This is obviously part of Dan the Man's plan to maintain continuity in the organization after Coach Joe's departure. But continuity is overrated when, despite vast expenditures of capital, you're still below .500 as an owner (70-79) and just finished third in your division.

Some would say this is evidence of Snyder growing into his role, developing the patience necessary to succeed in the rock 'em, sock 'em NFL. It could also, however, be evidence of an owner who, after years of having his nose bloodied, is grateful just to make the playoffs and inclined to keep things status quo — to the extent that's possible.

I'm partial to the latter interpretation. For starters, it explains Cerrato's elevation from a low-profile Personnel Guy to the overseer of "all aspects of the team's football organization, including ... the roster, scouting and salary cap management." If nothing else, Vinny has shown an ability to co-exist with hands-on Dan, a willingness to do his bidding. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of work in the ego-driven world of pro football.

Still, Cerrato's exact contribution to the cause has always been something of a mystery. Clearly, Snyder and Gibbs made all the major calls the past few seasons. The best that could be said for Vinny, perhaps, is that the Redskins have generally guessed right when they've had high draft picks; LaVar Arrington, Chris Samuels, Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry all turned out to be Serious Players, though the jury is still out on Carlos Rogers. That ain't bad, given how many busts there are at the top of the draft each year — expensive, cap-killing busts.

But now, it appears, more of the decision-making will be up to Vinny. His job won't just be to "get the coach what he wants." Stay tuned for the first thrilling episode of "Cerrato Unchained."

Which brings us to Fassel. He definitely fits the Preferred Coaching Candidate model discussed in This Space last week. First of all, he has previous head coaching experience (seven seasons with the Giants), and second, he has led a club to the playoffs (three times, including a trip to the Super Bowl).

Also, Fassel has dealt with the New York media maelstrom — good preparation for the Redskins Madness he'd encounter here. Indeed, when The Washington Times' Ryan O'Halloran asked him Sunday in Green Bay, where was he doing radio work, whether Snyder was wooing him, he unhesitatingly said no. So the man is already a Pro Bowl player at playing loose with the truth, which means he'd fit right in with the Langley-like culture of secrecy at the Park.

Fassel's experience with the Giants, moreover, though it ended badly (4-12 in '03), was markedly better than Gregg Williams' floundering with the Bills (17-31, no postseason appearances). That, no doubt, is one of the reasons Snyder zeroed in on him, despite the players' support for their defensive boss.

And I've got no problem with that. Players don't always know what's best for them, anyway. Heck, if it were up to them, they'd put away the pads in September and just have walkthroughs the rest of the season. No, polling the delegation is not how you run a football team. Snyder was right to take his time with this hire, and there's certainly nothing wrong with going outside the "Redskins family." Clubs do it all the time.

What gives you pause about Fassel is his failed stint as the Ravens' offensive coordinator from 2004 to mid-'06, his last NFL post. Granted, anybody would have trouble trying to make chicken salad out of Kyle Boller (and a creaky Steve McNair), but it might explain why he wasn't in contention for the other head jobs that came open this year.

Then, too, with a coach, there's always the question of: How much of the success was due to him, and how much was due to the people around him (GM, assistants, players, etc.)? When Fassel went to the Super Bowl seven years ago, his offensive play-caller was Sean Payton and his defensive play-caller was John Fox. Fox, I'll just remind you, guided the Panthers to the Super Bowl in his second season, and Payton took the Saints to the NFC title game in his first try.

For the full article, click below:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/SPORTS06/423070374/1005

And I've got no problem with that. Players don't always know what's best for them, anyway. Heck, if it were up to them, they'd put away the pads in September and just have walkthroughs the rest of the season. No, polling the delegation is not how you run a football team. Snyder was right to take his time with this hire, and there's certainly nothing wrong with going outside the "Redskins family." Clubs do it all the time.

What gives you pause about Fassel is his failed stint as the Ravens' offensive coordinator from 2004 to mid-'06, his last NFL post. Granted, anybody would have trouble trying to make chicken salad out of Kyle Boller (and a creaky Steve McNair), but it might explain why he wasn't in contention for the other head jobs that came open this year.

That is the key part of the article right there

Good for Snyder for looking around, and taking his time. Bad for Snyder for picking a guy with poor results the past few years

It's hard for us as outsiders to know if Fassel would be any good or not and why Williams is raising enough red flags for Snyder to keep looking elsewhere.

Sure, the players are all rallying for Greg, but they were for George Edwards too, and we all know how that turned out.

It's hard for us as outsiders to know if Fassel would be any good or not and why Williams is raising enough red flags for Snyder to keep looking elsewhere.

Sure, the players are all rallying for Greg, but they were for George Edwards too, and we all know how that turned out.

I think there is a group of fans with concerns about GW as head coach

I am one of them

I just think though that if you are to replace GW, you would do it with a better, younger candidate outside of the organization

"Fassel's experience with the Giants, moreover, though it ended badly (4-12 in '03), was markedly better than Gregg Williams' floundering with the Bills (17-31, no postseason appearances). That, no doubt, is one of the reasons Snyder zeroed in on him, despite the players' support for their defensive boss."

Was Greggs Buffalo team supposed to be any good? All i remeber was a pretty good defense. If you dont have the talent you wont succeed i dont care who you are.

I just think though that if you are to replace GW, you would do it with a better, younger candidate outside of the organization

Bottom line right there.

If it's not going to be Williams, and I wouldn't blame anyone for being concerned with him as a HC, there are certainly much better directions than Fassel.

I don't know why more people don't see this guy's point.... Couldn't of said it better!!! :2cents:

Then, too, with a coach, there's always the question of: How much of the success was due to him, and how much was due to the people around him (GM, assistants, players, etc.)? When Fassel went to the Super Bowl seven years ago, his offensive play-caller was Sean Payton and his defensive play-caller was John Fox. Fox, I'll just remind you, guided the Panthers to the Super Bowl in his second season, and Payton took the Saints to the NFC title game in his first try.

This is the big reason I'm completely unimpressed with Fassel. As soon as Fox left, the defense looked terrible and the team blew. I have a feeling the FO is aware of this as well, which may be why they withdrew their offer when it turned out Rex Ryan would not be available.

Was Greggs Buffalo team supposed to be any good? All i remeber was a pretty good defense. If you dont have the talent you wont succeed i dont care who you are.

Ironically, his O-coordinator in Buffalo will be coaching in the Superbowl this year - Kevin Gilbride.

Man, Vinny has a thankless job. The guy never gets any credit and tends to get the blame for a lot of things. The best you can say is that he guessed right? Maybe the guy and his staff can actually evaluate players.

Most of the article is pretty good, tho. The logic seems to be sound.

Jason

Does anyone else find it odd that Snyder is hiring the coordinators FOR the coach, instead of allowing the head coach to do it himself?

That isn't unusual. Coaches don't always have control of what assistants get hired. For example, Williams was saddled with Gilbride in Buffalo. Jones hired Garrett before even hiring a Head Coach

Actually, thinking about it, I don't think Spurrier chose Marvin Lewis as the DC, Snyder did.

Jason

That isn't unusual. Coaches don't always have control of what assistants get hired. For example, Williams was saddled with Gilbride in Buffalo. Jones hired Garrett before even hiring a Head Coach

Actually, thinking about it, I don't think Spurrier chose Marvin Lewis as the DC, Snyder did.

Jason

that doesn't make it right or smart.

The part that everyone is missing is last paragraph of the article....

It presents some sound logic and maybe even some damn good perspective.

"Coaching searches are always a crapshoot, especially if, like Snyder, you haven't grown up in the game. Dan's last hire, the sainted Gibbs, was a no-brainer. This one carries a lot more risk. So you play the percentages, pick a former coach with a decent track record — rather than a rising-star assistant who's an even bigger gamble — and hope for the best."

Does anyone else find it odd that Snyder is hiring the coordinators FOR the coach, instead of allowing the head coach to do it himself?

Odd...Not at all. Unusual..maybe...

For a guy who pays through the nose for coordinators, I would imagine that he has his hands on every little detail.

However, what we don't know is how the "coordinator" section of the interview guide goes...:)

Is it... "Coach X, who would your staff be?"....or is it..

"Coach, I'm thinking about these coaches as coordinators, what are your thoughts?"

I'm just hopeful that a combination of the two is taking place..

Odd...Not at all. Unusual..maybe...

For a guy who pays through the nose for coordinators, I would imagine that he has his hands on every little detail.

However, what we don't know is how the "coordinator" section of the interview guide goes...:)

Is it... "Coach X, who would your staff be?"....or is it..

"Coach, I'm thinking about these coaches as coordinators, what are your thoughts?"

I'm just hopeful that a combination of the two is taking place..

That may be giving him TOO much credit -- especially when you look at the fact that we don't even have a coach in place.

That may be giving him TOO much credit -- especially when you look at the fact that we don't even have a coach in place.

That's assuming we don't actually already have the coach in place. There is a difference between having the coach in place and actually "naming" the coach officially.

I don't think we are going to have a situation where we roll out the new coach only at a press conference. In typical Snyder fashion, it is going to be a three ring circus show that involves rolling out not only the coach, but the new coordinators, the new VP.....all the new TOYS so tp speak..

Fact is...it seems..at least from what I am reading on this board and seen on TV that a coach may already be in place...but we certainly aren't naming him until all of the coordinators in place...

My post may have eluded to too much credit giving. But I do believe that Snyder has the call on ohhhhhh 99% of the decision making of the coordinators.

However, don't you agree that there has to be SOME (even 1%) of that decision is based on the new HC's preference??

If not wouldn't that just be utterly irresponsible??

Jones did the exact same thing in Dallas last year! I think it's pretty obvious who's running the show down there. We have the same problem here.

People dont really understand that the Giants team Fassel coached for 7 years never finished better than 15th in points scored. Never. The only years that team ever finished over 500(3 playoff years) was because the defense was lights out. That defense was coached by John Fox. Fox then went to Carolina, where his defense has been fantastic. Previous to this year, in 4 out of 5 years, his defense has been top 10 in points allowed and yards allowed. That Giants team only made the playoffs because of defensive coaches like Fox.

There is a reason no other team in the NFL is even interested in Fassel, and its not because Snyder is just so football savvy.

Jason

I don't think Williams was saddled with Gilbride in Buffalo. They worked together in Houston and from what I've heard Williams say they're pretty close friends.

But you're right, it's not unusual for a GM or owner to pick the staff. The Browns forced Romeo Crennel to fire Mo Carthon. Then GM Phil Savage brought in Rob Chudzinski to run their offense. It worked out well for them.

Archived