Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTF? Did Steinberg take a shot at ES?

TCO

I'm not saying it was wrong, or trying to tell him what to do. I'm saying from an outsiders perspective this board at times looks elitist and defensive. I personally have nothing against other boards or blogs and was always put off by the strange competitiveness between them.

My opinion (again, I'm not telling 21 or any other mod what to do, just putting in 2 cents) is that it may be more effective to show the rules to someone like DS so he can see that this isn't a willy nilly throw out whoever doesn't step in line kind of place. Or invite him to spend a day or two here so he can see that they keep this place running when other boards get taken over by trolls and sidetracked all the time. The mods truly make this board a place worth coming to, I couldn't appreciate them more.

he's probably mad b/c we wont let him join.

Guys. Dan does have an account here.

sportsbog

I've e-mailed Dan about his claim & asked him provide a link to his claim.

ok i hope this doesnt get ME banned as i try to watch my p's and q's around here but there is an element of truth to what the man said. i have been here for a couple years and was a visitor long before i came on board, however the mods are very quick to shoot someone on this board. i have been a part of many boards on the internet and i have never experienced the type of policing that goes on on this board. on some levels that is very good but i also think on many levels that there is a bit of over reacting and shooting people on this board when a mod doesnt like what someone says. we are mostly adults here and i would hope that many can take what others dish out and if you dont like what someone says then you can choose to repond or not. the only thing in my opinion that should get someone banned off this board is an outright threat to person or property. its called freedom of speech and this country was founded on that principal. freedom of speech allows all people to voice their opinion whether right or wrong or whether others make an idiot of themselves or not.

see.......... like i just did!

ps i didnt realize i quoted someone............ see anyone can be an idiot.....

IIRC, one of the mod's even told us to be nice to him, that he was one of the good guys. :laugh:

Dan is one of the good guys. I've come to know him during this past season and I call him my friend. I have some friends from other boards that used to be on ES but they were either banned or can't post anymore so I post certain things for them. I've never had a problem on here or with any of the Mods but Dan made his comment for a reason and I some what agree with him.

A-HA!!! DOOM!!! PM him in anger.

No.

We have a rule against that as well.

17. Do not create “call out” threads.

Threads whose intention is clearly to "call out" another particular member on a personal matter. These forums are not to be used as a medium for personal and/or private vendettas. To the extent personal exchanges/conversations are necessary---and desired by BOTH parties---those members are encouraged to pursue them via Private Messaging. Feel free to question members as to past comments you’d like them to explain in the spirit of good debate. Do not use private messaging to badger or intimidate other members. Substantiated instances of such behavior will result in the immediate loss of private messaging privileges for the instigator, and may result in permanent banning from Extremeskins.

Part of the issue with what Dan wrote is that it makes it seem like there are no rules here. Yet, as someone that registered a free account here, he, like everyone is is required to check a box stating that he has read the Rules. Maybe he's forgotten that part.

Maybe Dan has taken a hit to the head & suffers from short term memory loss. Maybe not. Maybe he'll drop by to explain what he meant.

As I read the piece Steinberg is talking about redskins.com, not extremeskins.

The notion that you get good information out of redskins.com is laughable. All you get is the party line.

read it again...... he was talking about how the page that said something about the skins coach search refers people to a link to this board..... and it does.... go to redskins.com if it is still there.

so yes he was calling the board out!

The reporter Snyder was mad at, referenced by Steinberg, was JLC who quoted unamed sources as saying that Stephon Heyer was not an NFL caliber tackle and was going to get Campbell killed.

Although there continues to be a p***ing war between the Skins and the Post at times, Steinberg does make an interesting point. If Snyder want to have have all of the information on the team come directly from the team to the fans "unfiltered" then he needs to provide some of that information in a more timely way. Obviously the media doesn't like that Snyder operates in so much secrecy and tries to cut the media out of the stories as much as possible (the general media impression it would seem). Steinberg is, I think rightfully pointing out that if you want to provide information yourself, then do it. His noting of all of the stories on Redskins.com and how irrelevant they are to the kind of information most of us want - i.e. what's up on the HC and other staff situation is just calling Snyder on his seemingly inconsistent views about giving the fans the real scoop.

The fact is that the basic theory of Redskins.com as providing all the info a fan could want unfiltered doesn't really work because the team isn't going to reveal the kind of information that we ES'ers really want to know. I'm not saying that .com should put out our draft board before the draft, obviously that would hurt the team. It can't put out our list of desired FA's. It can't reveal who is going to get cut if he doesn't reduce his salary. Most of the things we are really interested in, the team can't release publicly for good reason. Whatever one thinks of JLC, he and the others are tracking down lots of details about things that we wouldn't find out from anywhere else. Steinberg just points out the silliness of Snyder's earlier comments about his goal for Redskins.com.

To me, if you want the info unfiltered come to ES. Every wild*** rumor that is reported ANYWHERE will be on this board within minutes. Of course unfiltered really means that much of the speculation about things that gets posted here turns out to be incorrect - but that is what unfiltered is.

A-HA!!! DOOM!!! PM him in anger. Or better yet, get his phone number and harass him like everyone did that E-Bay guy who stole sigs. Pitchforks and torches I say!!!:evil:

So you want to call and harass him over his opinion? You Sir are why people from other boards avoid ES. If anyone posts their opinion and heaven for bid they don't think like you lets make them look like a fool and chastise them and

"PM him in anger. Or better yet, get his phone number and harass him like everyone did that E-Bay guy who stole sigs. Pitchforks and torches I say!!!"

It's a message board man get a grip.

I am reading that blog and he wasnt insulting ES, he was insulting Snyders reasoning for trying to do media in house.

He says that he is doing "unfiltered" news because reporters "dont have a clue but yet makes an opinion."

and yet he also uses the forum as a place to release news, now obviously you guys are not banning anyone with an opinion, therefore Snyders reasoning about people who do not meet with coaches etc etc is false since 99.8% of the posters on this forum also do not meet coaches etc.

He is right though, I don't know about banning but I was on last night and I was trying to respond to like 4 different threads in a span of 5-10 minutes and each got locked or deleted as I was typing. It was rather scary.
Those threads were likely getting merged, for the good of this board. Yes, the search feature here really sucks, but you should at least scan the first page or two looking for a topic before you pull the trigger on a new thread. Sometimes merges are unjustified. But not usually.

Snyder: You want answers?

ES: I think I'm entitled to them.

ES: I want continuity

Snyder: You can't handle continuity Son, we live in a world that has a pass rush. And those QB's have to be guarded by an OL with talent. Who's gonna do it? You? You, ES? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Williams and you curse Vinny. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Gibbs retirement, while tragic, probably saved the team. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, owns the team...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that box. You need me in that box.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a poster who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very ownership I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football and run a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

ES: Did you order the Fossil selection?

Snyder: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Snyder: You're goddamn right I did!!

I think Steinberg makes valid points for the most part - the Redskins may have a reason to be pissed at the traditional media, but I think they make their own lives unnecessarily difficult by their general approach 'we don't have to tell you anything'.

I also think, in the overall scheme of things, ES members haven't gotten much from the relationship forged when the team took ownership of the board. Yeah, we get 'insider access' - the team's been very generous on that front - a few guys (yeah, I was one of them) get an amazing experience covering games. You all get some interview snippets, lots of pics, a blog or review of the experience. But truthfully, its nothing 'special' at least in season. I think the training camp and minicamp access is pretty cool, as you get a lot of info then that the regular media just isn't all that motivated to provide. I've said it a lot - we could have done a lot of cool things with the 'fan perspective' thing, the team just hasn't been very interested in forging new ground there. To be fair, its their site, they can do what they want. You aren't going to get 'exclusives', breaking news, or generally find out anything here first. We're just like every other messageboard, blog, website, scrambling for the news. So I think Steinberg's right - there could be a lot of innovative coverage courtesy of the team's relationship with the site. But it hasn't happened. I think its okay to say that really wasn't the driving force behind the relationship anyway.

I think the hyperventilating about 'banning' because people have different opinions is a little silly, and he can't spend much time here if he believes that. Good lord, look at the Stadium page right now :) We let an enormous amount of stuff go. Yeah, we sometimes ban or restrict privileges, but mostly its just because, if we didn't, with the sheer volume of people here on a given day, it'd be absolute chaos. Are there times when we're heavy-handed? Yeah, I'm sure there are, but there are also times we let people vent, rage, etc...when we don't have to.

One thing the Redskins don't get any credit for, and thats that they provide a place, on their own dime (at significant cost) for Redskins fan's to gut the owner and demonize nearly anyone who does something they even remotely disagree with. I mean, thats really incredible in my mind. I guarantee you the Washington Post and Times don't allow their readership the same 'freedom of speech' in responding to their blogs and critiquing their writers that you see Mr. Snyder and Co. allow here. Thats a fact.

Jeez, see, this is the danger of the Internets. I honestly wasn't thinking of the fact that "banning" is a loaded word around these parts; it's something I've obviously never worried about myself, because all I'm ever trying to do is get publicity/help.

I was just trying to make a tongue-in-cheek joke about the fact that the only recent news "story" concerning the coach search on Redskins.com was a link to these parts, where there's all sorts of great information but also all sorts of rumors/bad information, which was the very thing Snyder said he was trying to combat by turning Redskins.com into a news source.

Like I said in the blog, I have no problem at all with him turning Redskins.com into a news source; it's smart business and a great way to try to control the message. I just don't understand why the site would completely dry up with regards to the absolute most important story of the offseason.

You know I still love you all; otherwise I wouldn't stay up till 4 a.m. to eat your donuts.

Jeez, see, this is the danger of the Internets. I honestly wasn't thinking of the fact that "banning" is a loaded word around these parts; it's something I've obviously never worried about myself, because all I'm ever trying to do is get publicity/help.

I was just trying to make a tongue-in-cheek joke about the fact that the only recent news "story" concerning the coach search on Redskins.com was a link to these parts, where there's all sorts of great information but also all sorts of rumors/bad information, which was the very thing Snyder said he was trying to combat by turning Redskins.com into a news source.

Like I said in the blog, I have no problem at all with him turning Redskins.com into a news source; it's smart business and a great way to try to control the message. I just don't understand why the site would completely dry up with regards to the absolute most important story of the offseason.

You know I still love you all; otherwise I wouldn't stay up till 4 a.m. to eat your donuts.

Just wanted to say....

Good showing. :applause:

ES: I think I'm entitled to them.

ES: I want continuity

Snyder: You can't handle continuity Son, we live in a world that has a pass rush. And those QB's have to be guarded by an OL with talent. Who's gonna do it? You? You, ES? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Williams and you curse Vinny. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Gibbs retirement, while tragic, probably saved the team. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, owns the team...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that box. You need me in that box.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a poster who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very ownership I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football and run a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Snyder: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Snyder: You're goddamn right I did!!

Probably the most single classic thing I've read on here, and WELL worth my 100th post.

Brav-o. Brav-freakin-o.

You're a genius. Second smile I've had all day regarding the Redskins, first was the Pro Bowl announcement.

Thanks for clarifying. Not many sportswriters have the lack of ego you obviously do.

PS - don't eat the donuts - trust me on that one.

I just love the fact that everyone is afraid of getting "banned"!! DUM DUM DUUUUUMM!! I have done alot of stupid stuff on here and have yet to be banned. I have argued with Tarhog, TK and OM thru email and still havent been banned. Heres a piece of advice, man up, wise up and just be polite. If you are being respectful and polite about things you have the right to say whatever you want.

Hey Dan, can you punch Len Fatsabelly and tell him "Thats from Mike in San Diego!!"

Thanks buddy!!

I am reading that blog and he wasnt insulting ES, he was insulting Snyders reasoning for trying to do media in house.

He says that he is doing "unfiltered" news because reporters "dont have a clue but yet makes an opinion."

and yet he also uses the forum as a place to release news, now obviously you guys are not banning anyone with an opinion, therefore Snyders reasoning about people who do not meet with coaches etc etc is false since 99.8% of the posters on this forum also do not meet coaches etc.

Actually a lot of us on this board have met at least Joe Gibbs. :)

I just love the fact that everyone is afraid of getting "banned"!! DUM DUM DUUUUUMM!! I have done alot of stupid stuff on here and have yet to be banned. I have argued with Tarhog, TK and OM thru email and still havent been banned. Heres a piece of advice, man up, wise up and just be polite. If you are being respectful and polite about things you have the right to say whatever you want.

Hey Dan, can you punch Len Fatsabelly and tell him "Thats from Mike in San Diego!!"

Thanks buddy!!

I just wanted to say, I think Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band ever. :finger:

:movefast:

Archived