Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glazer on Fox pregame: Grimm did not interview, Leslie Frazier will...

wilbur58z

Yet, he'll forever be known as the "coach between Parcells and Belichick" for the Patriots.

But, in four years coaching the NFL- one with the Jets and three with the Pats, he holds a mediocre 33-31 record, with a 1-2 record in the playoffs. Before being named the Jets head coach for the 1994 season, Carroll had spent the past decade as an assistant coach for the Bills and Vikings, and then in 1990, the DC of the Jets.

So, yes, calling him a college guy would be off the mark. But as a coach, his success has come in college with USC, and if he were to retire now, that's where his legacy would be.

Hmmm

33-31

1-2 in the playoffs

Extremely mediocre.

No way we should hire this guy.

Yet, he was superior to Gibbs 2.0 and we still have people who continue to preach the tired word CONTINUITY. :doh:

Yes, by all means let's continue down the path that has led us to 31-36.

Not advocating Carrol here, I just find it amusing how people can turn their noses up at Pete Carrol and yet want to continue down the path Gibbs 2.0 has set us on.

This is not directed at you Thomas, just using your helpful info on Pete Carrol to expose other fan's inconsistencies when it comes to a new coach.

Me and Dan would have to have words if he hired Jim Mora Jr. Also, do not hire Pete Carroll, college coaches haven't been working out in the NFL recently

so this may be a bit of a thread jack....but i didnt see where it needed a new thread for the question.

its pretty obvious that college coaches have been sucking miserably when becoming head coaches, like spurrier, petrino, saban, etc.

but would you have a problem with a college coach becoming a coordinator for a few years, then making the transition to head coach? or you think the same thing would happen and they would suck?

Hmmm

33-31

1-2 in the playoffs

Extremely mediocre.

Yet, he was superior to Gibbs 2.0 and we still have people who continue to preach the tired word CONTINUITY. :doh:

Not advocating Carrol here, I just find it amusing how people can turn their noses up at Pete Carrol and yet want to continue down the path Gibbs 2.0 has set us on.

This is not directed at you Thomas, just using your helpful info on Pete Carrol to expose other fan's inconsistencies when it comes to a new coach.

You are focusing too much on a won/lost record and not looking at how things have turned around here in DC. Gibbs has settled things down so that our scouting and player drafting/free agent signing is much better than it was previously. Just look at all the core players from the draft and free agency are now on the team. Yes, we had the Archuleta and Lloyd fiascos but every team has been burned in free agency....we are not the only ones.

Despite losing 5 key starters to season ending injuries/murder, some incredibly close losses, Gibbs held the team together to get us into the playoffs. And he did it twice in two seasons. That is FAR better than what we had under Norv, Marty, and Steve.

We have some stability for the first time in the front office and on the field. We have an excellent coaching staff. Gibbs has reigned in Snyder's impatience. Vinnie has done a good job over the past four years with player evaluation and recommendations.

Things ARE on the right track for the first time since Snyder took over the franchise.

IF Williams has learned how to coach an entire team from Gibbs and with Saunders allowed to run HIS offense instead of Gibbs taking away the aggressiveness of the Saunders offense, the team could go deep into the playoffs next year.

Bring in someone new and everything gets torn apart...new offense....new defense....new players to fit into the new offensive and defensive philosophy. Campbell's learning curve starts all over......

There is more than just a record to go on when evaluating where a team is headed.

Pete Carroll is a success just like Steve Spurrier was a success in college. They have overwhelming talent to beat other teams. That does not exist in the NFL. Coaching and team execution is much more important. That is why many/most of these college coaches fail. A lot of average coaches excelled in the NFL.....Bill Walsh in SF is the perfect example; Denny Green. Some successful NFL coaches have been incredibly poor in college.

Gregg is due. He is capable of running a top ten defense. A lot of coaches failed on their first time around in the NFL and they learn from their mistakes. Just look at Belicheck.

Gregg Williams should be the Redskins coach to continue what Gibbs has started. I do not want to start all over again like we did under Norv and then Marty and then Steve.....

CPND reporting that Redskin1 is on its way to LA. Carroll interview?

I just logged into CPDN site as I am a paid viewer and didn't see any news of R1 heading to LA. Now, if someone on the message board reported it, than you can sqash the idea, for now.

Per FOX Post Game

Carroll told Atlanta he has NO interest in NFL coaching.

Thanks 21, and it bothers me when others on this site say that we are going to interview Petey Carroll. Ain't happening. I believe in the end, GW is at the helm.

I just logged into CPDN site as I am a paid viewer and didn't see any news of R1 heading to LA. Now, if someone on the message board reported it, than you can sqash the idea, for now.

Theres a thread on the main forum that says "Redskins 1 headed to Indy"... later on theres an update saying its going to LAX from there...

but would you have a problem with a college coach becoming a coordinator for a few years, then making the transition to head coach? or you think the same thing would happen and they would suck?

Actually, that would probably work out better. Gives them the chance to get used to the speed of the game & the way the NFL works. Also, less responsibility to have to deal with.

Theres a thread on the main forum that says "Redskins 1 headed to Indy"... later on theres an update saying its going to LAX from there...

Give me a link please and I will confirm. Guess I am blind, but I didn't see it. Thank you.:)

Hmmm

33-31

1-2 in the playoffs

Extremely mediocre.

Don't worry about it man.

I just want for this team to commit to a path, and that happens to be with Williams. I feel that this team could win, but if we don't go with Gregg Williams, then we better bring in someone that has a similar system and mindset, as in Jim Schwartz.

If someone like Cowher is brought in, the defense is turned upside down, as is the offense. The philosophies just change, and we have to start things over again. But, if we do that, we better commit to rebuilding that system and not try to fit square pegs into round holes.

Yeah right. We fly to interview someone? I don't think so.

Telephone call:

Dan:"hey Russ, I would like to pay someone $10 million a year to be HC"

Russ:"That sounds good to me"

Dan: "Can you buy a $120 plane ticket to DC so I can interview you?"

Russ: "How about you put $4000 of jet fuel in the ol' plane, pay your pilot $1500 and come see me. You're the one that needs a coach"

Yet, he'll forever be known as the "coach between Parcells and Belichick" for the Patriots.

But, in four years coaching the NFL- one with the Jets and three with the Pats, he holds a mediocre 33-31 record, with a 1-2 record in the playoffs. Before being named the Jets head coach for the 1994 season, Carroll had spent the past decade as an assistant coach for the Bills and Vikings, and then in 1990, the DC of the Jets.

So, yes, calling him a college guy would be off the mark. But as a coach, his success has come in college with USC, and if he were to retire now, that's where his legacy would be.

33-31 record? That ain't bad. It's better than Joe Gibbs record 2nd term around if u ask me.:(

Pete Carroll just got higher on my list. I still want Gregg Williams by a LARGE margin.

Yeah right. We fly to interview someone? I don't think so.

Telephone call:

Dan:"hey Russ, I would like to pay someone $10 million a year to be HC"

Russ:"That sounds good to me"

Dan: "Can you buy a $120 plane ticket to DC so I can interview you?"

Russ: "How about you put $4000 of jet fuel in the ol' plane, pay your pilot $1500 and come see me. You're the one that needs a coach"

LOL, That's awesome man.

33-31 record? That ain't bad. It's better than Joe Gibbs record 2nd term around if u ask me.:(

Pete Carroll just got higher on my list. I still want Gregg Williams by a LARGE margin.

Take out Gibbs' record in 2004, and he's over .500. Although to be fair, you also have to discount the 1994 season when Carroll guided the Jets to a losing record in his only year as the head coach there. So, they'd have about the same record if you do that, including playoffs.

However, in 1996, the Pats were 11-5 and made it to the Super Bowl. Then, Parcells resigned and Carroll took over. His teams went 10-6, 9-7 and finally 8-8 before they fired him. That 8-8 season had them starting out 6-2.

That's not the coach I want for my team, someone who inherited a team full of talent, yet underachieved with it, which caused him to be fired.

Per FOX Post Game

Carroll told Atlanta he has NO interest in NFL coaching.

I'm hoping he's not our next HC, but I wouldn't be so sure that he's not thinkning of leaving USC, he might just be being nice knowing Atlanta is a mess, and his next speech might be "they made me an offer I couldn't refuse $$$$$". Word is on the west coast is Pete might want to JUMP ship with the Impending Reggie Bush Fiasco, they've been talking about it on sports talk radio, and apparently they have some pretty good evidence of the $$$ being funneled to Bush and his Fam.

I can only imagine how much PETE will not want to be around if proven he knew of this or anything else of this nature, because im sure they might penalize his program...

Archived