Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL's Best Rivalries - Redskins vs. Cowboys #1

cphil006

great article on the origin of the rivalry. Cowboys became an expansion team thanks to someone forcing George Preston Marshall to vote them in in exchange for the rights to our own fight song....

vote for the best rivalry here...

http://cadillacof.msn.com/foxsports/section.aspx?category=nfl&topicid=5965016&GT1=10773

link to full article at the bottom of post

The Cowboys-Redskins rivalry redefines the term ‘fight song’

By Ed Hardiman

Smash-mouth football played on frozen fields. No quarter asked, no quarter given. Mud-spattered yards gained in inches and blood, 100 percent pure football. The way God intended it. Welcome to the NFC East, where no two teams hate each other more than the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys.

It has as unlikely a beginning as any sports rivalry — it started with a song. In 1958, Clint Murchison just had to own an NFL team. He turned to George Preston Marshall, who was looking to unload the Redskins.

Marshall changed his mind and Murchison walked away empty-handed. Almost. Out of revenge for being fired by Marshall, the Redskins’ music director sold the rights to the Redskins’ fight song to Murchison.

A year later, Murchison gave the fight-song rights back to the Redskins in return for Marshall’s vote to approve the expansion Cowboys.

The bad blood continued when the Redskins failed to protect their Pro Bowl quarterback, Eddie LeBaron, and the Cowboys snatched him up in the expansion draft.

read the rest of the article on them here...

http://cadillacof.msn.com/foxsports/article.aspx?category=nfl&articleid=5962642

It has started up again. Snyder saying that the cowboys are lucky they didn't have to face the redskins in the playoffs really made dallas fans mad. I truly hope that this change will still make the redskins competitive so these dallas and redskin games mean something.

It has started up again. Snyder saying that the cowboys are lucky they didn't have to face the redskins in the playoffs really made dallas fans mad. I truly hope that this change will still make the redskins competitive so these dallas and redskin games mean something.

That last game of the regular season really meant something.

Hurray for Dan. That's what we need, an owner with some gumption to instill a culture of heart and winning in this team, from the top down.

I HATE the Cowboys but you have to give it to Jerry Jones, losing is unacceptable, it shows in their organization, and it starts with him.

Finally... of course this is the greatest rivalry in football. How else was Dallas allowed to stay in the NFC EAST?

Going to a Cowboys Skins game is unforgettable. I need to go to about 19 more before I die...

I was at 22-19...priceless...as I heckled Cowboys fans around me until my throat was sore...I still get chills....

And the roar was deafening when Novak hit that kick!

Archived