Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrFan

Examiner: "Offseason money matters"

Offseason money matters

Jan 10, 2008 3:00 AM (2 hrs 59 mins ago) by John Keim, The Examiner

Ashburn (Map, News) - Gregg Williams, Bill Cowher — or anyone else who is hired to coach the Redskins — all will face the same problem: the salary cap.

So, while in some ways the Redskins are set up for the future with key young players, in other ways they are not, starting with a cap figure that will be $22 million over the projected number of $116 million.

The Redskins began Day One of their search for Joe Gibbs successor with a belief by many that Cowher will be targeted — though league sources say he won’t coach this year. Cowher has said that he wanted to sit out two years; this would be the second year. USCcoach Pete Carroll is reportedly interested in Atlanta. He has said he would want total control of the football operation, something he would not get in Washington.

Gibbs spent Wednesday meeting individually with his assistants as well as owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs’ role in the coach search will be mostly as an adviser. The Redskins are still getting organized for their search, but once they are team sources do not expect it to take long. They’ll likely conduct most of the interviews off-site, as they did four years ago.

Regardless of who the person is, they will confront a host of issues, most centering around the cap. And how they handle this will shape the future for a handful of players and the team.

The Redskins are the only team over the 2008 salary cap. They can convert bonuses into salary and restructure other deals, but they will still not have a lot of room for free agency.

But that leaves three burning issues:

The offensive line » Considering the high cap numbers — not to mention injuries — of Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen, the line is an area that will be addressed by any newcomer. If line coach Joe Bugel leaves as well, would a new position coach want Jansen, coming off two season-ending injuries in four years? Jansen was confident that he would return with Gibbs and Bugel in charge.

Every projected starter is over 30 (assuming Jansen returns to right tackle); left guardPete Kendall played every game but did so with sore knees, and the right side had injury issues. There’s only one young lineman, Stephon Heyer, whose report card is mixed. Realistically, the line should be fine for next season, but beyond that it’s in doubt.

Corner Shawn Springs » He’s another high-cap number and his departure was almost certain. But Springs is a Williams fan and if he gets the head coaching job, it could change his desire to leave. Before Monday, Springs figured his time here had ended.

Quarterback Jason Campbell » Though he’s not a cap issue, he could be a performance one. It depends on if the new coach would want Todd Colllins, or another veteran. And Campbell would possibly be playing in his seventh offensive system in eight years, dating to college.

“He talked about that,” quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor said. “He’s been in a whole bunch of systems in a short number of years. But that’s not up to me or him.”

Roster Bonuses

Here's a list of the guys who have notable roster bonuses due this spring. For the most part they are due around June 15.

Andre Carter - $2.4 million

Ladell Betts - $2 million

Brandon Lloyd - $1.8 million

Phillip Daniels - $1.1 million

By the way, Jason Campbell earns $100,000 for every playoffg win up to a maximum $1 million.

Posted by Jason La Canfora

Yes the cap is going to be a big issue.

Lloyd will never see that roster bonus no matter who is coaching.

Some of the guys will restructure.

As far as the Oline is concerned, yes this is an area of concern. I like Jansen, Kendall, Thomas, but if they can't physically perform as needed, then yes we need to look elsewhere.

There will be some tough decisions that will get made for the 08 season that many of us won't necessarily agree with. We are just going to have to let them shake out. The one encouraging thing, at least to me is that Dan Snyder has said that he wants to keep as much continuity as possible....

HAIL SKINS!!!!!!!!

Dont read too much into this "cap hell" BS just yet.....

I have confidence the Redskins will do what it takes to make it work.....we might lose a few players but every team does.....

You can certainly bet they will gain a decent Free agent or two as well......its just how the skins do it.....like it or not.

Dont read too much into this "cap hell" BS just yet.....

I have confidence the Redskins will do what it takes to make it work.....we might lose a few players but every team does.....

You can certainly bet they will gain a decent Free agent or two as well......its just how the skins do it.....like it or not.

What doesn't make much sense to me is that sports writers over the net keep on talking about the Redskins and high price free agents such as Briggs (link here) and Samuel. I'm just wondering after restructuring contracts how could we afford any big name free agent or a coach like Cowher ?

Hail

What doesn't make much sense to me is that sports writers over the net keep on talking about the Redskins and high price free agents such as Briggs (link here) and Samuel. I'm just wondering after restructuring contracts how could we afford any big name free agent or a coach like Cowher ?

Hail

Exactly....because thats just what the Redskins do.....every year....they find a way around this stuff. I dont know how....they just do.