Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs knew this at end of Cowboys Game

Frediemac

I believe that Joe Gibbs knew that he was leaving at the end of the Cowboys game on december 30th. As he was leaving the field he stopped to sign autographs and mingled (something he never does). He kepted looking around taking it all in, as if it would be the last time he would be walking out of Fed-Ex Field and his fans. I believe he already knew that he was going to resign when he left the field that day in Landover.

I agree. I really think he had his mind made up, Thank goodness he renewed the Dallass rivalry, they used to whoop us year in and out, before Gibbs.

Yes that was one area he really took control of. He always had the "girls" number. In the biggest of games he walk the dog on the "girls"

I remember pausing after I read the following paragraph of Thomas Boswell's column on December 31, about Gibbs after the Redskins' victory over Dallas:

"Gibbs turned slowly to all four FedEx corners, giving a double thumbs-up to the crowd. That wasn't enough. Next, he pointed both index fingers in No. 1s. Finally, he just waved to the throng as if he wished he could hug them all. Even then Gibbs could not bring himself to leave. Twice more this 67-year-old Hall of Famer, on one of his best but most unexpected days, did the slow pirouette again -- two thumbs up, two No. 1s and finally those warm waves of affection."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/30/AR2007123002986.html

It had hit me then, and is maybe becoming clearer now. Gibbs was showing his appreciation to the fans... one last time... And if it does turn out that he's not coming back as head coach next year (as some are now speculating after his most recent press conference), then perhaps he had made his decision not to do so before the week 17 game. Just a thought.

Also, remember how Gibbs was peculiarly emotional during some post game press conferences, once pausing after talking about the double timeout gaffe and how that brought some real priorities to light. "...this is what God wants, not what I want", he said once, along with a lot of other interesting quotes. (a lot of them which are part of the WP article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/04/AR2008010404205_pf.html )

Again, all just a thought, that I thought might be interesting to share.

Thanks Ghost Same as I was saying

I think he decided after the timeout thing in the Buffalo game. I think he realized then he was done and needed to move on. So sad to see him go. It was an incredibly tough season and he pulled us through. I will miss him, he is a great man!

Now that you bring this up i think you are correct. He did seem to be taking it all in for one last time. I am excited to get some new blood in here but I have to say now that its here and in front of our faces I am sad to see Joe go. I just love him that much. But i think that we need a coach who has experience in the salery cap era and todays faster NFL. Thanks Joe I love ya!!!! Now lets get focused and work on a winning 2008 season.

When I was watching the game and him doing this I was saying to myself he is either really happy for the way things turned out or he is waving goodbye one last time and enjoying the moment. Man how many ups and downs can we have with this team this year.

I agree with your point. He did wave and took a while to thank all the fans by giving the thumbs up and waving. I remember reading the post article about it and it went into detail about how involved he was after the game. He seemed to have made up his mind.

When I was watching the game and him doing this I was saying to myself he is either really happy for the way things turned out or he is waving goodbye one last time and enjoying the moment. Man how many ups and downs can we have with this team this year.

This is so true. this season has been like no other in my 38 years as a Redskins fan. Just crazy :(

I think he decided after the timeout thing in the Buffalo game. QUOTE]

Sorry to say too that this is all he seems to be remembered for this year. If the mediots could get past this one thing and look at the overall year......

That is NOT what Redskins fans will remember about him this season. They will remember how he brought this team together after that funeral and took them on a 4 game win streak to make the playoffs, which sad to say might be the last time we see that around here for a few years.

That is NOT what Redskins fans will remember about him this season. They will remember how he brought this team together after that funeral and took them on a 4 game win streak to make the playoffs, which sad to say might be the last time we see that around here for a few years.

I didn't mean the fans and players. The FG was makable before the TO gaffe. But the media just won't let it go and concentrate on what really WAS accomplished by Joe this year.

I didn't mean the fans and players. The FG was makable before the TO gaffe. But the media just won't let it go and concentrate on what really WAS accomplished by Joe this year.

Oh wysknz1 I understood you were talking about the media. Yes they are idiots aren't they?

I am really going to miss the man. I wasnt around (or was too young to watch) his first tenure and during his second tenure I really grew to love the guy, even when everyone was hating on him in the media and the fans on this site were saying he should be fired, I kept by him.

Sad to see him go BUT atleast its on a high note coming off a remarkable finish to the regular season and making the playoffs, and really bringing the entire organization, and the fans together

Archived