Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What has Gibbs done to these players/coaches?!

TCO

I think something is missed here...something about Joe Gibbs and leadership. I have attended some of his conferences on that subject. And one of the things Gibbs regrets about first tenure is not leaving the team in good hands...not developing leaders underneath him who could take over. I believe he has done that this time. At least I hope he has.

I for one want GW and AS to take over. Continuity trumps any other consideration unless we want another 3 yrs of rebuilding. Don't know what will happen with Bugel, (maybe OL?), but everything else should remain relatively intact.

If this is not the outcome, I would fully expect Snyder to make a strong play for Cowher or a Cowher/Grimm combo perhaps. That would be fine, but we would still expect more tear-up, and consequently, a mediocre team next year.

First of all... I think I need to say that I extremely PROUD of this team and Gibbs for how everything was handled, and blessed and thankful that I had a chance to watch one of the best coaches in NFL history for a second, after being too young to truly appreciate him the first go 'round.

That being said...

What the hell?

Unless everyone in the Redskins organization, from Snyder on down, is a group of coordinated liars, Gibbs essentially jilted this team. Saying he intended to fulfill his 5 year contract, and even leaving the players with the mindset that they would be coming back to Redskins Park with Gibbs as HC! How do you think this is going to make them feel? In 6 weeks, they lose Sean Taylor and now their HOF HC, team LEADER and essentially a father figure! I almost feel like if Gibbs was going to step down, this should have been announced prior, with the succession already being named and we could have all wished Gibbs good bye PROPERLY after the Dallas game, instead of thinking "F--- YEAH GIBBS! PLAYOFFS AND THEN NEXT YEAR, EVEN BETTER!" Thinking, probably like the players, that this team would have one more year of continuity and one more chance to get Gibbs back to the Super Bowl.

I'm throughly concerned about the player's morale (especially Jason!) and the direction of this team under Snyder and Vinny Cerrato by themselves. We can piss and moan all we want about Gibbs's mistakes, but at the end of the day this man was head and shoulders above anyone we had seen since... well, Joe Gibbs.

Call it a rant, call it me crying, I really don't care... I woke up feeling bad about the Skins not going to Dallas but ecstatic for next year. I've now got this sinking feeling that we're going through the dark ages again without teh Redskins saviour, essentially.

But dear god Danny, hire Williams and keep Saunders. Do whatever you can to keep this change to a minimum for as long as possible.

Jilted this team? He turned this team around. He did what was needed to be done. If we have success in the future we can think him.

Last three years two playoff appearences. Brought in Saunders and Williams. Brought in Portis, Cooley, Campbell, Heyer, I think brought Sellers back, Moss, Randle El, Rocky, Taylor, Landry, Doughty, Fletcher, Rogers, Smoot back, Montgomery, Golston, Carter.... He has bascially brought in all of the starters that we now see on the field. He has built this team to be a great team. Great drafting by him. I hope he has input on who to draft.

Guest Spearfeather
Sean Taylor dies.

Gibbs retires.

Only a losing season would have completed my 2007-2008 football season trifecta of despair.

I also am suprised and disapointed with the coach. He promised me he would finish his contract. He said he was a man of his word.

We were one season away, and now the team gets turned up-side down and shaken thouroughly and we suck for the next three years.

Joe Gibbs never promised you or anyone that he would fulfill his contract.

interesting POV, OP.

i've thought since the ramsey, lavar, springs situations that gibbs has either outright lied to us, indecisive, or has little clue what was going on.

HOWEVER in this situation. no good HC would tell his players that he intends to step down during the season. he doesn't want to risk players reducing their efforts on the field or undermining his authority to make themselves look good for the next coach.

The 2007 season was well in the toilet back when they were 5-3. Todd Collins managed to extend the season a bit. The defense isn't quite there. The running game isn't there. Campbell nor Collins will probably not lead the team to a winning season next year. There clearly had to be changes at the coaching ranks. And we NEED a good GM!!!! We need a new HC not within the organization already.

i've thought since the ramsey, lavar, springs situations that gibbs has either outright lied to us, indecisive, or has little clue what was going on.

I agree. The Redskins' coaches were childish in how they handled Lloyd, AA, Springs, Lavar, etc. Instead of talking with them, they just shut them out. That is not coaching!!!!

A reality check why exactly? You don't think it's human nature to feel jilted or phased by the uncertainty of the situation of someone leaving somewhat unexpectedly? I mean, you heard all of the media reports, no one expected him to leave - just because everyone has an option to stay or go doesn't mean people expect it.

EDIT: Oh, and he said he'd fulfill his contract. That's not leading people on to believe he'd be here next year?

If I remember right, Cooley thought on Elliott that Gibbs would be back. Someone else would have to confirm, but I'm thinking I did hear that.

Listen, I am not bashing Gibbs. I respect his decision to go. I just think it's going to have an adverse effect on this team because it was sudden and mostly unexpected.

Well, all i can refer to is what the players themselves have said. You tell me if they sound jilted in any way.

"Coach has said time and time again how important his family is to him, and I think this year really took a toll on him and the whole staff. I am just glad we got to finish with a playoff run at the end," said backup quarterback Mark Brunell, the first player Gibbs sought to acquire after his return to coaching. "He is one of the best to ever coach, and I am proud to have played for him. I always thought he was a good coach and a better person."

"The man is awesome. We just didn't do him justice," fullback Mike Sellers said today. "It's sad to see him go. He's a players' coach. He listened to us. He knew what we needed."
"There's not enough words to say what he's done for this organization, especially for this year," Cartwright said. "We had a tough year. He just pulled all of us together and brought us closer as a family. He always preached family. That's something that we lived by this season. I think that's why were successful at the end of the year."

Redskins wide receiver Antwaan Randle El said that while the decision was unexpected, it is "not such a shock as one would think" given the level of commitment Gibbs demanded of his players and of himself. "It is surprising, but it is not as shocking when you look at what it takes to be a head coach and how he goes about being a head coach. He puts a lot into it. He requires a lot. That commitment is like none other," he said.

The only guy that seemed taken the least bit off guard was Rabach

Everybody here has a lot of respect and loves Coach Gibbs for the guy he is and what he's done for this team and what he's done for players.

Rabach said he came to Redskins Park in Ashburn after hearing rumors about Gibbs's decision, and attempted to talk the veteran coach into staying. "Obviously, it was not do-able . . . What Coach has done for me and what he's done for this organization, I'll remember him forever."

HOWEVER in this situation. no good HC would tell his players that he intends to step down during the season. he doesn't want to risk players reducing their efforts on the field or undermining his authority to make themselves look good for the next coach.

I completely agree. People always get bent out of shape whenever a coach says something and does something else. Well what would we expect them to say? If they were honest the team wouldn't play for him and the fans would still rip them. Gibbs had to do what was best for himself and his family NOW, not what was best 4 years ago when he signed the deal.

Well, all i can refer to is what the players themselves have said. You tell me if they sound jilted in any way.

The only guy that seemed taken the least bit off guard was Rabach

Do you honestly think that anyone within the organization is going to have anything to say that's not lauding their HOF coach? Today isn't what I'm worried about, it's the future.

Archived