Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NH GOP Pulls Out of Fox GOP Forum

freakofthesouth

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS92860+05-Jan-2008+BW20080105?rpc=64

January 5, 2008 3:49 pm EST

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – The Ron Paul 2008 presidential campaign praises the New Hampshire Republican Party’s decision to pull its sponsorship of the Fox News forum in protest of Fox’s decision to exclude Congressman Ron Paul.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party did the right thing by pulling its sponsorship for Fox’s candidate forum,” said Ron Paul 2008 spokesman Jesse Benton. “Fox News’ decision to exclude Congressman Paul is unfair, but it won’t stop Dr. Paul’s message of freedom, peace and prosperity from resonating with the people of New Hampshire.”

Today, New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen released the following statement regarding Sunday’s Republican forum on FOX:

“The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures. Consistent with that tradition, we believe all recognized major candidates should have an equal opportunity to participate in pre-primary debates and forums.

“This principle applies to tonight’s debates on ABC as well as Sunday’s planned forum on FOX. The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed.

“While we understand that FOX News continues to move forward it is with regret, the New Hampshire Republican Party hereby withdraws as a partner in this forum.”

###

Good for them. Paul got 10% of Iowa. That makes him relevant. Not necessarily a threat, but relevant to the discussion.

It's also a weird ratings choice. Wouldn't Ron Paul because of his controversial nature get more people to watch? Just watch him implode, say something outlandish, or make the mainstreamers look silly and contrived?

Paul has purchased an hour of air time from 5-6PM to openly answer questions and to lay out his views and ideas in detail. It's going to be on Manchester public access and cspan (I think) as well as broadcast online and on radio.

It's certainly not as touted as a Fox Forum, but what else could he do to get past this outrageous act of senseless censorship?

I'm very saddened and embarrassed because I was once a die hard Fox supporter and now they appear to be embracing the same policies as a news company that I railed against in the other big networks.

This is a long tough road for supporters of the Liberty movement, I can only hope that it has gained enough traction to go well beyond this race, regardless of the outcome for Congressman Paul.

Good for them. Paul got 10% of Iowa. That makes him relevant. Not necessarily a threat, but relevant to the discussion.

It's also a weird ratings choice. Wouldn't Ron Paul because of his controversial nature get more people to watch? Just watch him implode, say something outlandish, or make the mainstreamers look silly and contrived?

:cheers: even more so, when we consider that he got 29% of the Iowa independents. NH is 44% I's these days (I heard that somewhere, but cannot verify it's accuracy).

I'm not a Paul fan, but this just seems a very odd choice for a News organization moderating a debate to have. Paul would seem to mean more viewers, more viewers mean more ratings, more ratings means more cash.

More importantly, a debate with Paul is just a better Bill even if he is a minor player. Yesterday, Richardson played an important role in the Dem debate and had some of the best lines, even though the chance of him winning the nom is almost nil.

On the other hand, if one did believe that FOX was not a news organization and just a propaganda wing for the Republican Party this move would make sense. :evil:

I really think that there are 2 versions of the GOP now. Con and Neo-Con.

:2cents:

You forgot So-Con...it's been that way for a long time.

Are you really surprised at the exclusion of Paul?

You forgot So-Con...it's been that way for a long time.

Are you really surprised at the exclusion of Paul?

to be honest, yes I am a little surprised. I'm still learning how the world of media/politics/money really works. I dont like what I've seen with my somewhat newly opened eyes.

It must be that last remnant of hope that there was at least one Network out there that was on my side.

I understand now, that such a network doesnt exist.

Nah! Us "Cons" are pretty groovy still!

How can a Con be groovy?

Con- taking a negative stance or position

Con- an act of committing fraud

Con- abreviation for someone found guilty of committing a felony or criminal act

You see the Cons almost subliminally know that they are fooling people, robbing people, and are against what's good for the nation

:silly:

Back on the subject. Good For ABC for including all the relevant partners. Interesting, that in some ways, FOX is going to make Paul a bigger story through his exclusion. Although, that will only be true to those paying attention which is a fairly small number.

How can a Con be groovy?

Con- taking a negative stance or position

Con- an act of committing fraud

Con- abreviation for someone found guilty of committing a felony or criminal act

You see the Cons almost subliminally know that they are fooling people, robbing people, and are against what's good for the nation

:silly:

Back on the subject. Good For ABC for including all the relevant partners. Interesting, that in some ways, FOX is going to make Paul a bigger story through his exclusion. Although, that will only be true to those paying attention which is a fairly small number.

LOL! You forgot some though!

Con-servation

Con-gregation

Con-struction

but my favorite...

Con-stitution!

I am glad the GOP did this

I do not want ANY media outlet deciding for the public who is and is not relevant.

The voters do that with votes.

I didn't think you were that naive,but I'll stop before I get into Ken territory ;)

fwiw...I think he should be included....not that my opinion matters

I didn't think you were that naive,but I'll stop before I get into Ken territory ;)

TWA, you need to call Fred and have him make a statement against Fox in this. It actually could be a beneficial "high road" kind of move for him.

BTW, I thought Fred did better than I expected in the debate last night.

LOL! You forgot some though!

Con-servation

Con-gregation

Con-struction

but my favorite...

Con-stitution!

Exactly! Why are they anti Conservation, religion, and Infrastructure, And why are they so adamantly determined to destroy the Constitution?

I'm just being silly and I should stop now, because while I think that Paul's exclusion isn't a HUGE story, I do think it's an important one.

I do think that the Republican Party needs to face its refelection though.

They refused to debate before the NAACP

They refused to debate before the Urban League

They refuse to debate before the internet community (I think they finally did, but I'm not sure)

And they refuse to allow members getting a significant vote to be on the stage.

Frankly, the other candidates should be demanding that Paul be included. It wouldn't harm them, but it would ingratiate them to many of the Paul supporters eventually.

Exactly! Why are they anti Conservation, religion, and Infrastructure, And why are they so adamantly determined to destroy the Constitution?

I'm just being silly and I should stop now, because while I think that Paul's exclusion isn't a HUGE story, I do think it's an important one.

They refuse to debate before the internet community (I think they finally did, but I'm not sure)

Frankly, the other candidates should be demanding that Paul be included. It wouldn't harm them, but it would ingratiate them to many of the Paul supporters eventually.

Oh Man! Now You are giving me...

Con-stipation! :silly:

It is naive to believe that votes should determine who is relevant?

I am a liberal and I certainly do not plan on voting for paul but I would like to hear what he has to say.

That just did not make any sense to me....kicking someone out of a debate before a single vote was cast?

Paul did get 10 percent in Iowa compared to Rudy G. with 4%

Was Rudy not included in the debate?

It is naive to believe that votes should determine who is relevant?

I am a liberal and I certainly do not plan on voting for paul but I would like to hear what he has to say.

That just did not make any sense to me....kicking someone out of a debate before a single vote was cast?

Paul did get 10 percent in Iowa compared to Rudy G. with 4%

Was Rudy not included in the debate?

yep, Rudy is in :mad:

Good Point...

If they alienate Paul his voters will likely go democrat because he is as liberal a republican as one can be.

The GOP alternatives are all status quo.....

Good Point...

If they alienate Paul his voters will likely go democrat because he is as liberal a republican as one can be.

The GOP alternatives are all status quo.....

I'm sorry Cav, but I think you are a little in error that he is "liberal", except maybe in just the classical sense.

He is very fiscally and socially conservative.

Not trying to start an argument, just wanted to clarify a bit.

OK...you are that naive ...or you use a very old definition of liberals ;)

Aside from the single issue anti-war newcomers of course

OK...you are that naive ...or you use a very old definition of liberals ;)

Aside from the single issue anti-war newcomers of course

unfortunately, that is how the lines are now drawn between conservative and liberal (at least by the GOP and much of the public)

Pre-emptive war, debt, and spend, spend, spend = conservative

I better stop, I'm getting depressed!

Archived