Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

should skins back off on harrington?

fansince62

suppose the guy drops. if we draft him, there is essentially no return on the pick for the upcoming season and possibly the next. is he a franchise QB? from what i have gleaned, professional are very divided on what harrington will end up becoming. is it safer to wait until next year when there is a better crop of QBs? is there a a greater than yusual downside risk with this cat? what if one of thew name dt's and harrington are still available? <br /><br />- i'm not so sure drafting harrington is such a steal/good deal

Some day...some how...the Redskins will find a franchise QB. We'll have a guy who we can count on, year in, year out for a decade or more. <br /><br /> But if we aren't willing to risk a first round pick, it's going to be a long time coming.<br /><br /> We can keep trying to plug in a vet and hope that we'll find our version of Gannon. It hasn't happened yet. In fact, we haven't even really come close yet.<br /><br /> I don't know if Harrington's the real deal (and neither does anyone else). He looked very good against very good competition at times. He won consistently. He performed better under pressure. If he's there at #18, I think he have to give him a try.

Remember, we did have our franchise -- or at least franchise type -- QBs in Trent Green and Gus Frerotte (who actually made the Pro-Bowl) . . . they may not be close to a Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, but they would have at least been a lot more than an above-average starter had they been given some continuity to work with . . .

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by fansince62:<br /><strong>suppose the guy drops. if we draft him, there is essentially no return on the pick for the upcoming season and possibly the next. is he a franchise QB? - i'm not so sure drafting harrington is such a steal/good deal</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rarely, if ever, is there a return on the first year, from a 1st round QB, even with the best of them. Did the Falcons get much of a return on Michael Vick his first year ? Most would consider him a franchise QB. And he was #1 OVERALL pick even. The list goes on. Even the best prospects need time to settle into the big league game. No coach wants to have to dunk his future QB headfirst into the NFL, in his 1st year. Its not good for the team - or the quarterback<br /> <br /> <small>[ March 24, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Mick ]</small>

The Skins should draft DL with the first round. We may not have had a franchise QB in forever, but we also haven't had a solid, young DL for almost as long. We need a young pass rusher or a young, big, run-stuffer playing alongside Wilkinson.<br /><br />The first round pick is not the only place to get a franchise QB. There are plenty of QBs in this league who are starters and weren't drafted in the first round.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NavyDave:<br /><strong>I say wait til next year and strengthen our lines with this draft.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, this year is the yeah to fix up the D-Line, and the OG's in the first are decent. There are only two worth-while QB's (maybe only one) in the first round now, but there will be 5-6 (possibly) for the first round next year. We should wait on the QB and fix the rest of our needs, relying on....gulp...Blake???

Why should we wait until next year to draft a QB ? Quarterbacks take longer to develop than D-lineman. If we neglect QB this year, we'll have to wait on him to develop for another year or 2, and just prolong our rebuilding process that much longer.

"There are only two worth-while QB's (maybe only one) in the first round now, but there will be 5-6 (possibly) for the first round next year. "<br /><br />This fallacy needs to DIE. <br /><br />First as you say, possibly 5 or 6 first round qb's NEXT YEAR. If your crytal ball is that good, I have a bunch of questions needing answers..... <br /><br />Fact is, there might only be ONE or TWO "franchise" QB's next year when all is said and done. They might end up all having terrible years. Or sustaining serious injuries. Do you think Manning comes out if his season is wiped out by an injury in the first game? So if you can get one now that you like, you take him. Remember, Spurrier only signed a 5 year deal. So your QB has to be up and running ASAP. Not to mention do you think Snyder gives Spurrier five years to get the program up and running? By postponing getting him till next year, you've just postponed having the 'franchise" QB ready to play another year while he sits on the bench next year instead of this year...<br /><br />Maybe getting a lineman helps more in the short term. But which will help more overall and in the LONG term? That is the question.<br /><br />And if you're worried about getting a QB bust in the first, well as TC pointed out in a thread, jamal Reynolds (DE) from the packers is an apparent bust. Bobby Wilson for the skins back in the early 90's was a bust due to injuries. Andre Wadsworth almost has to be considered a bust. Wilkerson was considered a bust till the last few years. You can find just as many busts at other positions as you can at QB. Drafting SMART is what's important. The giants got that one DT a year or two ago late. You can find any position late if you are smart and a good talent evaluator. That's what the skins need.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mick:<br /><strong>Why should we wait until next year to draft a QB ? Quarterbacks take longer to develop than D-lineman. If we neglect QB this year, we'll have to wait on him to develop for another year or 2, and just prolong our rebuilding process that much longer.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Granted development takes a while, but wouldn't you rather start with a better piece of clay and get it finished later (becoming a better QB) then having a worse QB sooner? That's what will happen when we'd get Harrington (if he even slips) rather than Grossman, Leftwich or Manning next year.

JoeSkins....exactly what I'm thinkin.....naturally, I'm working with a deficit of information, but there is enough in the press to make one stop & pause: is Harrington worth the investment? he may be the #2 rated QB, but so what if it is a poor crop overall. is it beter to go in a direction that 1) fits a team need; and, 2) is assessed by the "experts" as possessing greater depth/talent? many of the arguments above don't cut it - there is always risk, but where is it greatest, or is the differential small enough that going the direction of a QB in the first round, in this year's draft, is worth it.

IF Herrington should drop to #18, drafting him depends on what we have in the QB camp at that time.<br /><br />If we get Blake or someone else who can tide us over for a year or two, then we can wait 'till next year to draft a QB.<br /><br />If Matthews is the best we got on draft day, we'd better get Herrington, Ramsey or SOMEBODY on board to begin development.

Something I just thought of. Know how they assign a "number" score to rank how the player projects (.ie. maybe a 1 to 10, I dunno how they do it). If I remember correctly in the 7 range is considered very good. If anyone could find it, how does harrington get scored vs. how other past QB's did?<br /><br />not that it means much of anything but the comment about this being a weak class made me think of comparing his ranking to, say manning's class. Or last year's class.<br /> <br /> <small>[ March 25, 2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Montilar ]</small>

You wait til next year so you don't reach for a QB which we did with Shuler the other great franchise QB was Dilfer that year. And I dont care what anybody says Dilfer won because of 3 things a dont eff up offensive scheme, a dominating Defense that shutout the Giants, and playing the Giants.<br /><br />The other 2 quarterback year was Bledsoe and Mirer. and neither of them led their team to the superbowl either.<br /><br />The Class of 83 had 5 capable QBs just like the Class of 2k3 will have.<br /><br />So this speculating injury to Eli, Lefwich or Grossman wont change the fact that it makes more sense to take care of an annual need the O and D lines and next year pick from a nice litter.<br /><br />If Simms came out this year instead of Harrington he'd be the second best QB but that doesnt mean to draft him when there is an obvious better crop next year.<br /><br />I'd rather see them draft gasp, gag a WR in the first round or in the draft than a QB

If Harrington drops to us, there´s no doubt in my mind that SS will draft him, Harrington is a solid player, very inteligent, and has a knack for coming from behind a steal games.<br /><br />Otherwise I think SS will wait until next year and go after Grossman, Leftwich or Simms, and I do hope that Eli Manning decides to leave school early (but i doubt it).

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by fansince62:<br /><strong>suppose the guy drops. if we draft him, there is essentially no return on the pick for the upcoming season and possibly the next. is he a franchise QB? from what i have gleaned, professional are very divided on what harrington will end up becoming. is it safer to wait until next year when there is a better crop of QBs? is there a a greater than yusual downside risk with this cat? what if one of thew name dt's and harrington are still available? <br /><br />- i'm not so sure drafting harrington is such a steal/good deal</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly what rookie, no matter how highly touted, is a "can't miss" in the NFL, especially at QB? I seem to recall a terrible dilemma and debate about it besetting the league four years ago over whether Indy should draft Manning or Leaf. I distinctly recall people questining Manning's arm strength and accuracy and his athleticism, and touting Leaf's tremendous upside, etc. We all know how that turned out. <br /><br />The fact is that overall, Harrington is about as good of a QB prospect as you're going to find in any draft. That doesn't mean that you automatically draft him, but it does mean that if you need a QB and he's there at #18, you probably pull the trigger. <br /><br />As for him not playing this year or next, that doesn't necessarily bother me. The transition to the NFL is usually made too fast, not too slowly, for QB prospects who don't pan out. We've already seen numerous examples of QB's who've peaked not in their mid-20's, but more in their early to mid 30's. Will we really be crying 7-10 years from now if our franchise QB took a couple of years to develop before he started for us? I don't think so.

Archived