Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

That fight was an Instant Classic. :applause: Williams took a beating and kept coming. Martinez showed why he is a great champ. Both men traded shots and showed decent chins. What a way to end the year with boxing. If only more guys will sell out in the ring the way these two boxers did. AWESOME fight. Thought is was a draw also, but could see 115-113 for either boxer. 119-110 was absurd. That judge needs a new profession. I can't wait for the rematch next year. Both will need at least 6 months off to recover from that war. :notworthy

Williams needs to strengthen his defense. Offense won't always win it for you. You need to be a complete fighter. Right now, he's very vulnerable to a slick boxer with a big punch. As for Martinez, he's very quick, but he needs to stop dropping his hands and backing up. He has quick reflexes, but lowering his hands against an opponent who's relentless can be a recipe for disaster. :2cents:

As for the Heavyweights, Minto/Arreola, Minto was game, but he wasn't gonna survive that fight. Took too much of a beating. If he was bigger or had a bigger punch, he may have had a chance. He definitely caught Arreola with some decent shots.

saturday has alot of fights:

HBO has:

Juan Diaz vs. Paulie Malignaggi II (this time at in Chicago, a neutral site)

Victor Ortiz vs. Antonio Diaz (Ortiz's first fight since quitting against Maidana)

Vitali Klitschko vs. Kevin Johnson (happens sat. afternoon, HBO will show a tape delay at night)

Showtime has:

Timothy Bradley vs. Lamont Peterson (should be a great fight, they aren't far apart in skill level. Peterson is from the DC area so i have to root for him)

Vic Darchinyan vs. Tomas Rojas

saturday has alot of fights:

HBO has:

Juan Diaz vs. Paulie Malignaggi II (this time at in Chicago, a neutral site)

Victor Ortiz vs. Antonio Diaz (Ortiz's first fight since quitting against Maidana)

Vitali Klitschko vs. Kevin Johnson (happens sat. afternoon, HBO will show a tape delay at night)

Showtime has:

Timothy Bradley vs. Lamont Peterson (should be a great fight, they aren't far apart in skill level. Peterson is from the DC area so i have to root for him)

Vic Darchinyan vs. Tomas Rojas

wow...this is a great night of free fights.

I've got Vic in a mid round KO over Rojas (Vic bounces back)

Bradley in a unanimous decision over Peterson (Bradley is the truth)

Klitschko in a late round KO over Johnson (Johnson just another opponent)

Diaz with in a mid round TKO over Ortiz (Ortiz is finished mentally)

Diaz unanimous over Malignaggi (he'll take him serious this time)

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=32415#more-32415

DiBella drops Jermain Taylor: Taylor continues in Super 6 Tournament.

Statement: Promoter Lou DiBella on Jermain Taylor

“I have just been informed though numerous press reports that Jermain Taylor has elected to continue his participation in The Super Six: World Boxing Classic tournament, and will face Andre Ward in April. It is with a heavy heart, but strong conviction, that I will recuse myself and DiBella Entertainment as Jermain’s promoter.

“Jermain’s career has been outstanding, and it has been a pleasure and honor to promote him. His victories against Bernard Hopkins remain the highlights of my career as a promoter. Jermain is not only a great fighter, but a good and decent man with a wonderful family. It is out of genuine concern for him and his family that I am compelled to make this decision.

“I informed him, as I do all my contracted fighters, that my goal was to help his secure financial stability for his family, maximize his potential, and leave our unforgiving sport with his health intact.

“It is my belief that the continuation of Jermain’s career as an active fighter places him at unnecessary risk. While he is undoubtedly capable of prevailing in future bouts, I cannot, in conscience, remain involved given my assessment of such risk.

“I wish Jermain all the best in his future endeavors. All of us at DiBella Entertainment hold Jermain close to our hearts and consider him and his family part of our family. We wish him Godspeed and continued health.” – Lou DiBella

That's a good stand for DiBella promotions. Taylor is shot as a fighter and they know it. Jermain shouldn't put himself in any more danger. He's risking a lot to continue in this business. His health should be his primary concern. Not sure how many more chances he'll get at a title. I think he loses to Ward by KO in 9.

gotta give DiBella credit for that move. very rare a promoter puts their fighters well being ahead of the almighty dollar

if you can, avoid the Klitchsko/Kevin Johnson fight tonight. you'll thank me later

quick picks for tonights fights:

Juan Diaz over Malignaggi by Unanimous Decision

Victor Ortiz over Antonio Diaz by (T)KO, rounds 6-8

Peterson over Bradley by Unanimous Decision (this is more of the fan in me than the analyst)

Darchinyan over Rios by (T)KO, rounds 5-7

Lamont lost :(

No shame in losing to Bradley though.

He'll be back :)

Klitsch won.

When will the fight each other? :mad:

they wont

kinda unrealistic to expect them to

cant stand malinaggi but he clearly was the better man in the ring tonight, nice to see him get the decision

Peterson just got beat by a better fighter, Bradley is a bulldog

I wonder if Bradley could create match-up problems for Mayweather. I'm not a big fan of making catch weight type fights when a fighter hasn't fought all competition in his own weight class (Mayweather) but I think a fight with Bradley would be interesting.

bradley would make a good sparring partner to get mayweather prepared for Manny

Marquez-Bradley would be a good fight. Not sure what weight class Marquez will fight at in his next fight. There are some decent fighters at 140 (Khan, Alexander, Maidana, Kotelnik and Ortiz). Think Marquez will go back down to 135 though, but money talks...

As for Bradley sparring with Mayweather, that would be OK. I think he'll needs someone with a little more "POP" in his punches to be like Manny. But then again, Floyd rarely gets hit with a clean shot, so it might not matter.

Marquez-Bradley would be a good fight. Not sure what weight class Marquez will fight at in his next fight. There are some decent fighters at 140 (Khan, Alexander, Maidana, Kotelnik and Ortiz). Think Marquez will go back down to 135 though, but money talks...

As for Bradley sparring with Mayweather, that would be OK. I think he'll needs someone with a little more "POP" in his punches to be like Manny. But then again, Floyd rarely gets hit with a clean shot, so it might not matter.

from what i've read floyd usually spars with fighters in higher weight classes if he's facing someone with power

bradley would be a good sparring partner because he can somewhat replicate manny's ability to pressure from different angles and he's not that far away in speed.

i dont think Bradley is head and shoulders above the rest at 140. bradley is clearly the top dog at 140 right now, but i think there are some potentially great fights at 140 the next couple of years. Devon Alexander & Amir Khan (who has responded nicely since being laid out by Prescott) are serious challengers to his titles.

two Marylanders square off tonight in the middle weight division on Showtime. Fernando Guerrero vs. Jessie Nicklow

I think I'll watch this card. Showtime used to deliver the best cards; they never had the really big named fighters, but they had the up and comers and seemed to have many fight of the year candidates. I got away from showtime friday night cards, hopefully these fight tonight will draw me back in.

Marquez-Vazquez IV.

:box:

i do not want to see a 4th fight. the previous 3 have probably taken about 20 years off their lives. neither looked that good in their first fights after that trilogy

when you have a war(s) like they did, you do not come out the same. i'm not sure the check they will collect will be worth the punishment to their long term health

SU, what the hell's your sig? :hysterical:

an idiot who thought turning his back on his opponent was a smart thing

Mayweather/Pac may have hit a snag over drug testing:

Golden Boy Promotions has issued a statement announcing that the mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is in jeopardy because Manny Pacquiao is refusing to comply with Olympic style drug testing as requested by Mayweather’s management. Early today Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions (representing Mayweather Promotions), was contacted by Top Rank President Todd duBoef, who informed Schaefer that Pacquiao would not agree to have his blood taken within 30-days of the bout. Schaefer commented, “Todd told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn’t want to do it so close to the fight. He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight.”

Olympic style drug testing involves random sampling of the athlete’s blood and urine prior to and after the fight. The USADA procedure includes both blood and urine sampling so that all banned substances, some of which do not show up in urine alone, are tested for thoroughly.

“It is unfortunate to hear this from Manny Pacquiao’s representatives, particularly since, as of today, both parties had worked out all other issues related to this fight,” said Schaefer. “Team Mayweather is certainly surprised that an elite athlete like Manny Pacquiao would refuse drug testing procedures which Floyd has already agreed to and have been agreed to by many other top athletes such as Lance Armstrong, and Olympians Michael Phelps, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.”

Mayweather, who was informed of Pacquiao’s reluctance shortly after Schaefer received word of the impasse, feels Pacquiao has to explain himself immediately or be faced with accusations from the media and the public regarding his own status as a clean and drug free athlete.

“I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don’t know anyone who really does,” said Mayweather. “But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same. It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night. I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA.”

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions said,”We hope that Manny will do the right thing and agree to the testing as it is an egregious act to deny the testing and hence, deny the millions of fans the right to see this amazing fight. We just want to make sure there is a level playing field in a sport that is a man-to-man contest that relies on strength and ability. I still hope this decision is coming from someone in Pacquiao’s camp and not Manny himself as it would be a shame that an athlete of his stature and who represents his whole country would not be able to show the public or his fellow athletes that he agrees to the highest standards in sports competition.”

this makes it seem like Manny has something to hide. i cant see something like this derailing the fight though

Edited by StillUnknown

an idiot who thought turning his back on his opponent was a smart thing

Mayweather/Pac may have hit a snag over drug testing:

this makes it seem like Manny has something to hide. i cant see something like this derailing the fight though

I've been saying it and saying it, Floyd do not want to fight Pac. I told people he would look for an out, this maybe it.

i do not want to see a 4th fight. the previous 3 have probably taken about 20 years off their lives. neither looked that good in their first fights after that trilogy

when you have a war(s) like they did, you do not come out the same. i'm not sure the check they will collect will be worth the punishment to their long term health

I can't wait to see this...those guys put on a hell of a trilogy. They probably can't get any other meaningful fights; anyone who saw their fights against each other want no part of either man.

I've been saying it and saying it, Floyd do not want to fight Pac. I told people he would look for an out, this maybe it.

Floyd isn't sweatin' Manny; He is bigger, faster, stronger, has a 5" reach advantage, and has superior boxing skills.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting hard for Pacman, but when reality sets in, I know it will be Floyd's hand being raised in the end.

Edited by Gator Bait