Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

Will definitely be a third fight. But GGG will be 37.

On a related note, about a month ago I heard from a solid source that Floyd Mayweather was having money problems. Didn't pay taxes, other dumb crap. 

And now he's fighting Manny again. 

Hilarious. 

Why would anyone order that fight? What are the odds Mayweather is broke in 5 years?

• Like 1

I give three reasons why Canelo won and why I, when asked who would win the fight beforehand, thought that Canelo would win. 

1) Canelo and the judges are in cahoots, as evidenced by the Byrd decision. Atlas has been talking all year and even after the Canelo - GGG first fight about how the boxing judges are literally invited to a promoter's dinner beforehand, how there is no separation between church and state in boxing. Whether you wanted Canelo to win or lose, the reality of the situation is there's going to be this bias for him because of Golden Boy's stature in Las Vegas. 

2) Canelo would be heavily motivated by GGG's repeated trash talk over the year where he called Canelo a cheater. Abel Sanchez was also hitting social media beforehand stirring up a lot of trash talk. 

3) Canelo would be the younger talent while GGG is getting up there in age and looked vulnerable in his first matchup as well as in his prior matchup against Danny Jacobs. GGG put up a heroic effort and it was a damn close match. But the younger guy did win. If you don't want it to go to the judges, knock him out. GGG in his late rounds delivered a flurry of blows but still wasn't able to knock Canelo out. If the fight goes the distance, again, you leave it in the hands of the judges. 

If they fight round 3, it will probably go to the judges again. And you know what happens with Canelo and the judges. It would probably be a good match, but you know who's going to win. 

30 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

he isn't an expert on boxing, which is all I and others have said. Pay attention.

He is the commentator but the real expert is Max Kellerman who is essentially a boxing analyst extraordinaire. 

Lederman was hilarious. WELL JIM I GOT IT 10-9 GOLOVKIN

Anytime someone wishes to bash HBO broadcasting, look at how showtime does it. I would rather have Lampley and Kellerman on the call than anyone else. 

Edited by ixcuincle

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

He is the commentator but the real expert is Max Kellerman who is essentially a boxing analyst extraordinaire. 

Lederman was hilarious. WELL JIM I GOT IT 10-9 GOLOVKIN

Anytime someone wishes to bash HBO broadcasting, look at how showtime does it. I would rather have Lampley and Kellerman on the call than anyone else. 

HBO is gonna be out soon so you can either pine for the old days or criticize the new people.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Great commentator Jim Lampley being criticized. I don't understand. He's one of the best in the business.

Nah, he's just the loudest and has the HBO $$$ behind him. Showtime's Mauro Ranallo and Al Bernstein are better! Lampley was good in the past, but his best days are way behind him.

Just now, ksun247 said:

Nah, he's just the loudest and has the HBO $$$ behind him. Showtime's Mauro Ranallo and Al Bernstein are better! Lampley was good in the past, but his best days are way behind him.

I remember hearing them for the Mayweather - McGregor match. They're okay but not as good as Lampley and Kellerman. 

• Like 1

HBO brought this on themselves.  You could see the downfall in their recent matchmaking. The change to the head of sports programming, bad mismatches, not spending enough money, promotional beefs with Haymon (PBC), Arum (Top Rank), De La Hoya (Golden Boy). Gotta change with the times. Streaming is the future. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:48 PM, ksun247 said:

HBO brought this on themselves.  You could see the downfall in their recent matchmaking. The change to the head of sports programming, bad mismatches, not spending enough money, promotional beefs with Haymon (PBC), Arum (Top Rank), De La Hoya (Golden Boy). Gotta change with the times. Streaming is the future. 

their downfall was their treatment of Mayweather/Haymon.

So many classic fights but I don't feel bad for them at all.

• Like 1

Mayweather going to showtime let other fighters know money was to be made outside of HBO. Combine that with streaming services looking for content and HBO was always going to struggle. They tried to build different stars, but only Canelo really crossed over. GGG for all his greatness, could not sell ppv's by himself. The ppv model seems to be fading from boxing and HBO doesnt see the upside in trying something new.

Hopefully Lampley retires, i dont need to hear him anymore

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody should hate on Canelo for this deal. Every fighter would take it in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice. DAZN is making power moves!!! I wonder what big name they grab next? 

GGG is in the witness protection program.  He hasn't said Jack since his loss to Canelo. Neither has Abel Sanchez. Both of them are as quiet as a church mouse.

Edited by ksun247

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this belongs in the Boxing thread, or one of China's "weird stuff" thread, but Mayweather has agreed to fight a Japanese kickboxer, who is literally less than half his age, to take place this New Year's Eve in Japan.

I guess this is the answer to his money problems. For now, at least.

Floyd Mayweather vs. Tenshin Nasukawa announced for Rizin 14

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/11/4/18063386/floyd-mayweather-vs-tenshin-nasukawa-announced-for-rizin-14

Officials declared that Mayweather will step into the Rizin ring opposite 20-year-old kickboxing and MMA sensation

Tenshin Nasukawa at a year-end show on Dec. 31.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If the Kickboxer isn't allowed to kick, this match loses pretty much all luster.

Technically it loses all luster, but not in a PPV or money kind of way. Masses will still tune in and be mesmerized.

Technically the McG fight lost all luster when it had to played completely by FM's rules, but that

didn't stop the record-setting viewership, interest, talking and prognosticating, box office numbers, money, etc.

Countless casuals will still perceive it as a "super bout". And of course, many serious fans will mock it, but still

tune in.

Something about a circus atmosphere people like ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Technically it loses all luster, but not in a PPV or money kind of way. Masses will still tune in and be mesmerized.

Technically the McG fight lost all luster when it had to played completely by FM's rules, but that

didn't stop the record-setting viewership, interest, talking and prognosticating, box office numbers, money, etc.

Countless casuals will still perceive it as a "super bout". And of course, many serious fans will mock it, but still

tune in.

Something about a circus atmosphere people like ?

Circus fights sell in japan all the time. Its always been a staple of the foght game there