Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Taking the biggest fight of the year and extrapolating that the sport is as popular as it could be is something I disagree with. It's gone down in popularity over the years though it's starting to come back. One problem is that there aren't really multiple divisions with must see fights. This is where having nobody of name recognition especially in the heavyweight division is problematic. 

I think the sport lost popularity as other sports offered better chance at financial success

the PPV model as a whole is kinda dying off. the sport has always been held up by 2 or 3 fighters at a time that became larger than the sport.  TV deals are actually getting better now.  They moving away from the HBO model and getting back on network television and ESPN's top rank deal has a lot of potential and the matchups have been good so far.

boxing is and has been a niche sport for some time now, in that, I feel it is as popular as it could be at the moment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I think the sport lost popularity as other sports offered better chance at financial success

the PPV model as a whole is kinda dying off. the sport has always been held up by 2 or 3 fighters at a time that became larger than the sport.  TV deals are actually getting better now.  They moving away from the HBO model and getting back on network television and ESPN's top rank deal has a lot of potential and the matchups have been good so far.

boxing is and has been a niche sport for some time now, in that, I feel it is as popular as it could be at the moment

That's a very fair assessment of the sport. I would only disagree a little in that when the sport was more popular, there were a few more well known guys. Though I would agree now that there are only a few now.   

• Like 1

Just now, Hersh said:

That's a very fair assessment of the sport. I would only disagree a little in that when the sport was more popular, there were a few more well known guys. Though I would agree now that there are only a few now.   

NFL wasn't paying like they do now back then 

that mythical great american HW is playing linebacker for somebody right now

Judge's scoring criteria

On the HBO broadcast, their unofficial scorer, Harold Letterman states these rules before he gives his scores after the first few rounds. But now, he is old and can't see things that good anymore. I don't trust him.

As for Lampley, he constantly calls stuff that isn't there and that sways the tv audience's judgement.

These are the basic rules for judging a fight. 

• Effective Aggression – Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it’s not exactly “effective.” Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands his punches and avoids those from his opponent.
  •  
  • Ring Generalship – The fighter who controls the action and enforces his will and style.
  •  
  • Defense – How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.
  •  
  • Hard and Clean Punches – To the untrained eye, it can appear as if a boxer is landing a lot of shots, when, in fact, most are being blocked or aren’t landing flush. A judge needs to look for hard shots that land clean.

Someone needs to hold these judges accountable when they mess up or the scores are very off. But boxing has been shady since Day 1, so getting upset is just the norm now. I don't sweat it. I'm used to it. 

Edited by ksun247
  • Like 1

Well, yes. As long as she had Canelo Winning, it makes no different if she had scored it 7-5 Canelo. 

The problem with such a lopsided score  going in favor of the fighter that most feel lost is that it's obvious to me, that she came into the arena with a predetermined agenda.

Edited by DM72

Was interesting on The Fight Game tonight on HBO, they noted that while one judge is getting all the scorn for the fight, it's the judge that had the draw that inexplicably gave Canelo the 7th round in the fight when even Byrd gave the 7th to GGG. They said it was Canelo's worst round and landed his fewest power punches. 

He was a class act. He gave boxing lessons to just about everyone he fought.  He was a dog in the ring and a gentleman outside of the ring. Boxing is not a sport to fool with if you can't get up to do the required prep work. Our last male Olympic Gold Medalist and he never got the recognition he deserved. That's a shame. He was always overlooked by the media and casual fans. 

I would like to see him continue as a boxing analyst either on HBO or PBC. That may prove difficult on PBC with the bad blood between ROC Nation and PBC (Al Haymon). 

One of my favorite fighters! 

10 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

That's still a good number. Thought it would do more. Being greedy with the overall cost of ticket prices lost them some money in terms of a sellout at the T-Mobile Arena, PPV buys, close circuit/theater showings and streaming. 

its an out of this world number.  They convinced 4.4mil people to buy, and pay more for, a fight that should have never been conceived, yet alone actually fought.

mayweather's ascension into arguably the biggest mover of PPV's in boxing history is something that boggles the mind

• Like 2

I also thought it would do more. I think that number is a double edged sword. It was very good, but not great.

Canelo has a huge Mexican fan base, but what else does he have? He's not as polarizing as Mayweather and he's no Pacquiao. He will not come anywhere near 1.3M with anyone not named GGG or Mayweather. 

16 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I also thought it would do more. I think that number is a double edged sword. It was very good, but not great.

Canelo has a huge Mexican fan base, but what else does he have? He's not as polarizing as Mayweather and he's no Pacquiao. He will not come anywhere near 1.3M with anyone not named GGG or Mayweather. 

also kinda confirms that GGG brings almost nothing to the table as a dance partner

he's a tv star only unless its against Canelo or Mayweather

DAMN! This sucks!!! Wilder just has bad luck. First Povetkin, now Ortiz. Black eye for the heavyweight division again. Was looking forward to this fight also.  Guess guys are doing everything they can, legally and illegally to prepare for the Wilder fight. Nobody wants to be on the wrong end of a highlight reel KO! 

REALLY, don't want to see a Stiverne rematch!