Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

and Margarito should be fined & suspended for getting caught trying to load his gloves. you are talking about seriously hurting your opponent when you do **** like that. he got caught this time, now you have to wonder how long he's been doing it. kinda puts a black mark on Margarito's career IMO.

The first thing I thought of was the Cotto fight. Hmmmm....

The first thing I thought of was the Cotto fight. Hmmmm....

yeah...that is bull****....you know he loaded his gloves against Cotto. Margarito should be disqualified from all his former fights. Cotto should still be undefeated, that lose should go down as a no decision!

• 2 weeks later...

2004 US Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward fights tonight on Showtime, if he wins this fight he should move on to the big names of the division.

Vic Darchinyan vs. Jorge Arce tomorrow night on Showtime should be a great fight, both are nonstop action guys, but Darchinyan has better skills overall and should finish Arce.

Beltway Boxer Henry Buchanan's also on that SHO card tonight; local fighter Fernando Guerrero's on Friday Night Fights tonight.

damn it just dawned on me that he was a local product, it could be a long night going up against Andre Ward though. hopefully he reps himself well enough tonight to make people want to see him fight again whether he wins or loses

great to see Guerrero get some TV time, very good prospect at MW

Edited by StillUnknown

damn it just dawned on me that he was a local product, it could be a long night going up against Andre Ward though. hopefully he reps himself well enough tonight to make people want to see him fight again whether he wins or loses

great to see Guerrero get some TV time, very good prospect at MW

Guerrero's a BEAST. I remember Buchanan TKOing that guy w/ the uppercut last time I saw him on TV.

Are you talking about the Chad Dawson who was beat up by an ancient Glenn Johnson? Joe C would destroy Dawson with ease.

I typically do not agree with anything you say in this thread, but I'm with you on this one. I haven't picked Calzaghe by knockout in years, but I do think he'd stop Dawson. That's not to say Dawson would not present Joe with some problems in the early going. Dawson has been in trouble multiple times, and I think Calzaghe would be able to get him out of there due to his professionalism and patience.

If we're lucky we'll see Dawson/Johnson II later this year. I'd bet it against it, but it's a meaningful fight and one that Chad should take. There really aren't that many fights out there for Chad right now, but I expect his handlers to stay clear of Johnson unless he looks completely shot in his next bout.

Darchinyan vs. Arce tonight. This should be explosive for however long it lasts. Vic appears to be coming into his own, and Arce has slowed down significantly in the last couple of years. I like Vic by KO in under six. Also, Kid Diamond vs. Demarco is an intriguing matchup. The winner should be in line for a meaningful fight.

Calzaghe couldn't bust a grape with his punches. the last fighter he finished was Peter Manfredo and even that was a quick stoppage by the ref (not to say Manfredo would've done anything in that fight to change the result)

Dawson took some hard shots by Glen Johnson and didn't drop, Calzaghe aint stopping Dawson.

i think Calzaghe would be favored and would have a good chance to win, but the fact remains is that Dawson has a legitimate chance to beat him. Calzaghe hasn't face anyone with Dawson's handspeed and the fact he throws combinations would present some problems for Calzaghe.

it would be a great fight that alot of fans would love to see.

Calzaghe couldn't bust a grape with his punches. the last fighter he finished was Peter Manfredo and even that was a quick stoppage by the ref (not to say Manfredo would've done anything in that fight to change the result)

Dawson took some hard shots by Glen Johnson and didn't drop, Calzaghe aint stopping Dawson.

i think Calzaghe would be favored and would have a good chance to win, but the fact remains is that Dawson has a legitimate chance to beat him. Calzaghe hasn't face anyone with Dawson's handspeed and the fact he throws combinations would present some problems for Calzaghe.

I agree with pretty much everything you say. The Manfredo stoppage was garbage, but it was only a matter of time. By the way if you didn't see Sakio Bika annihilate Manfredo last year it's certainly worth looking for a copy. Very impressive by Bika. He's kind of a forgotten man in the division, since many people forget he gave Calzaghe a bit of trouble in their bout a few years back.

Calzaghe/Dawson is THE fight to make should Calzaghe grow restless in retirement. Dawson didn't go down in the Johnson fight, but he was in serious trouble during the fight. In fact he was very close to going down at a couple points during the fight. Major props to Chad for staying on his feet in a very close bout. I don't have the scores in front of me, but I believe had Johnson dropped Chad he would have won the fight. In spite of that many people had Glen winning the fight regardless.

It's just my opinion that over 12 rounds Joe would be able to eventually catch up to Dawson with an accumulation of punches. And when he buzzes him I think he's able to finish him off.

On the other hand, you can make a very sound argument that if Jones and Hopkins were both able to drop Calzaghe, Dawson should be able to do so as well. It's a very compelling fight, but it's really a shame we'll likely never see it. For the record I actually loathe Calzaghe and root for Dawson. People are sleeping on the fact that Dawson beat the present Cruiserweight champ Adamek. I rate that as Chad's best win in his career.

I agree with pretty much everything you say. The Manfredo stoppage was garbage, but it was only a matter of time. By the way if you didn't see Sakio Bika annihilate Manfredo last year it's certainly worth looking for a copy. Very impressive by Bika. He's kind of a forgotten man in the division, since many people forget he gave Calzaghe a bit of trouble in their bout a few years back.

Calzaghe/Dawson is THE fight to make should Calzaghe grow restless in retirement. Dawson didn't go down in the Johnson fight, but he was in serious trouble during the fight. In fact he was very close to going down at a couple points during the fight. Major props to Chad for staying on his feet in a very close bout. I don't have the scores in front of me, but I believe had Johnson dropped Chad he would have won the fight. In spite of that many people had Glen winning the fight regardless.

It's just my opinion that over 12 rounds Joe would be able to eventually catch up to Dawson with an accumulation of punches. And when he buzzes him I think he's able to finish him off.

On the other hand, you can make a very sound argument that if Jones and Hopkins were both able to drop Calzaghe, Dawson should be able to do so as well. It's a very compelling fight, but it's really a shame we'll likely never see it. For the record I actually loathe Calzaghe and root for Dawson. People are sleeping on the fact that Dawson beat the present Cruiserweight champ Adamek. I rate that as Chad's best win in his career.

i did see the bika fight, very good performance.

actually, i scored the Dawson/Johnson fight for Johnson. i thought he threw the more meaningful punches, while Dawson took the activity/combo heavy workrate to try and steal rounds with flurries. some judges favor activity, some favor the more accurate/significant shots. while i scored the fight for Johnson, i can understand someone scoring the fight for Dawson. a rematch between these two would be much more compelling than Dawson rematching Tarver (damn that rematch clause)

i brought up the Johnson fight in respect to Dawson's chin, and Calzaghe's ability to finish Dawson. Calzaghe his a shot roy jones with everything excluding the ref and the stool (shout out to harold lederman for that gem :D), and yet he couldn't put Roy away.

my thinking is that Dawson's chin would definitely hold up against Calzaghe. i think Calzaghe has a good shot to win, but it would be by decision

and yes Adamek was his best victory so far, both fighters were undefeated going into that fight and Dawson just outworked and outboxed him.

a bump up in competition, good for Peterson. its about time for the brothers to step up and start fighting top 10 guys.

they've had enough warm-ups, time to sink or swim and find out where they stand in their respective divisions

:yes:

Can anyone tell me whether it's worth watching that featherweight fight tonight on Showtime? I've been thinking about adding it to my directv package and was wondering if it was worth it to do it tonight.

Gracias

the fight tonight should be a great one, although with Vic's power there is the possibility it could end early

as for the fight itself, it is virtually guaranteed to be action packed. you have 2 fighters who bring alot of excitement to almost all of their fights. their respective styles make for an exciting fight

Joe's handspeed is better than Dawson's, so not sure that would mean anything. Dawson is a very overrated fighter, and lost to Glenn Johnson, who always gets robbed. If Dawson had any sack, he would give GJ a rematch.

Joe's handspeed is better than Dawson's, so not sure that would mean anything. Dawson is a very overrated fighter, and lost to Glenn Johnson, who always gets robbed. If Dawson had any sack, he would give GJ a rematch.

my point about Dawson's handspeed is that Calzaghe hasn't faced anyone with Dawson's handspeed, and it remains to be seen how he would deal with that

Johnson/Dawson was a close fight, not a robbery. i scored the fight for Johnson, but he was not robbed. Sweat Pea was robbed against Chavez, Roy Jones was robbed at the olympics,

theres a difference between a close fight and a robbery. Dawson has said he wants to fight Johnson again, but Tarver had a rematch clause in his contract so his hands were tied. its a good chance they fight after Dawson disposes of Tarver

my point about Dawson's handspeed is that Calzaghe hasn't faced anyone with Dawson's handspeed, and it remains to be seen how he would deal with that

Johnson/Dawson was a close fight, not a robbery. i scored the fight for Johnson, but he was not robbed. Sweat Pea was robbed against Chavez, Roy Jones was robbed at the olympics,

theres a difference between a close fight and a robbery. Dawson has said he wants to fight Johnson again, but Tarver had a rematch clause in his contract so his hands were tied. its a good chance they fight after Dawson disposes of Tarver

I disagree. It wasn't a total mockery, but it was still a robbery. One of many in Glenn's career. Joe C doesn't really have a fight out there to keep his attention. The only reason for him to fight is to better Marciano's record, IMO.

the fight that should have happened before Calzaghe retired was Jermain Taylor vs. Calzaghe. I think Jermain would have beat him.

That Darchinian-Arce fight sucked...very one sided. I hope Vic's promoter comes through and matches him up against Marquez or Vasquez.....either of those guys would be an exciting fight.

the fight that should have happened before Calzaghe retired was Jermain Taylor vs. Calzaghe. I think Jermain would have beat him.

That Darchinian-Arce fight sucked...very one sided. I hope Vic's promoter comes through and matches him up against Marquez or Vasquez.....either of those guys would be an exciting fight.

i think Jermaine gets loses 9 of 12 rounds against Calzaghe.......and i can't stand Calzaghe

Darchinyan needs to try and erase that blemish on his record. its surprising he hasn't demanded a rematch with Nonito Donaire who flatlined him

i think Jermaine gets loses 9 of 12 rounds against Calzaghe.......and i can't stand Calzaghe

Darchinyan needs to try and erase that blemish on his record. its surprising he hasn't demanded a rematch with Nonito Donaire who flatlined him

Taylor would have been the only elite fighter still in his prime that Calzaghe would have faced! Calzaghe padded his record for years and then fought a bunch of over the hill guys at the ends of their careers.

I don't know much about Donaire, but I've seen both Darchinyan and Marquez/Vasquez fight, I think that would be the fight of the year if he fought one of those guys.

Doesn't pay to CHEAT!!!

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=3705#more-3705

Former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito and his trainer Javier Capetillo had their licenses revoked at today’s California State Athletic Commission’s disciplinary hearing. Capetillo testified that he accidentally put illegal pads into Margarito’s hand wraps prior to his bout with Shane Mosley. “I committed a big mistake,” Capetillo said according to the LA Times. “I don’t want this young man to have problems. I’m here to cover any responsibility. I take full responsibility. I committed this innocent mistake.”

Earlier, CSAC Inspector Che Guevara testified that the pad inside Margarito’s hand wraps was “not hard as a rock, but firm and hard.” Inspector Mike Bray testified that there was “a white substance smeared across the pad, like a cast plaster.” The pads, confiscated by the commission before Margarito’s fight last month with Shane Mosley, are still being tested by the Commission. Margarito and Capetillo are currently on suspension pending the outcome of this case.

Last week, Margarito’s previous opponent Miguel Cotto commented to Fightnews.com on Margarito’s current plight. “Margarito and his team are responsible for their acts,” said Cotto. “If they used the illegal handwraps or not was their decision. If it’s true they will have to face the consequences.”