Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Up until.he fought Trout, I thought Alverez had a chance. But the more I saw that fight the more I didn't think he had a shot. I admit, I didn't think it would be this one-sided.

nope, this was AFTER the Trout fight. If you just admit you hate Floyd and nothing he does will satisfy you, then you wont look like you back tracked.
  • Like 1

Not for a PPV. At 147 lbs, I wouldn't mind Tim Bradley getting a shot if he beats JMM. Amir Khan can sell some tickets in the U.K., but we already know the outcome of that fight. TKO in 5-6. Keith Thurman isn't a big enough name yet. Devon Alexander is boring and can barely sell out at home in St. Louis. There are no threats at 154 either.

He'd whoop Bradley's ass. I know it probably won't happen, but if Pac looks good taking Rios out, May/Pac is the only fight that justifies a $69.95 PPV.

He'd whoop Bradley's ass. I know it probably won't happen, but if Pac looks good taking Rios out, May/Pac is the only fight that justifies a $69.95 PPV.

Bradley is still under Top Rank and undefeated if he beats JMM. Floyd will definitely beat Bradley. However, it would be interesting for a bit, but Floyd won't do business with Bob Arum.  Manny has to look good against Rios, plus be willing to fight in the U.S. again. He mentioned something about the taxes being an issue after his last fight. Manny is the only big name that the people may know and willing to spend on the PPV. With anyone else, Floyd will have to do the selling of the fight.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15208.html

"For me to come down to 160 and get enough time to go do it Cinco de Mayo, May of next year...I can make welterweight if I need to...it would be a chess game shootout...it would have to be some type of rumble, it would have to be some type of fight...how big in history would that be is if Bernard Hopkins can pull that off," stated light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins, who was lobbying hard for a potential showdown with undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather immediately after his impressive victory over Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

Now, Bernard Hopkins wants his turn to get paid. Hopkins is crazy trying to fight Floyd.

I don't even think there is a contender right now that sticks out that would make me pull the trigger on a $60+ PPV bill.

I just don't have confidence Mayweather would be tested enough,

Not sure why anyone would pay to see him whoop Pac at this point either. It would still be a "big fight" in terms of name value, but I can already predict the fallout from another unanimous decision.

Pac Fans would moan and scream that Mayweather "ran the whole fight, didn't want to fight him"  Even though compubox would show Mayweather connecting on way more punches and replays would show Mayweather's defense making Pac miss with shots and/or causing Pac to punch Floyd's arms/shoulders.

JMM is more Pac's speed at this point, although I don't think JMM wants another fight with Pac so that isn't likely to happen either.

Pac will beat Rios, his prototype for perfect opponent, and the chatter will ramp up again.

Also, with Pac's new stance on not wanting to fight in America due to taxes. If he is firm on that, then a fight with Floyd would never happen.

Hopkins is interesting from a matchup POV.  They are both counter-punchers with good defense, however Floyd is way faster and his punch output is a lot higher.

Floyd makes people into millionaires.  I am not surprised how many folks want to throw their name into the hat of eligible opponents.  When you fight Floyd you likely will make more losing then you will as a champion later in your career.  It is pretty amazing.

I read an article that Floyd v. Amir Kahn has been greenlit as a possibility.  Not sure why the hell people would think Kahn has any chance.In fact with his lack of chin, I think Floyd could actually get a KO/TKO out of that one.

The guy was a cheating ass even before the Cotto fight I am betting, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in Boxing. Also the guy was a NOBODY! with 5 loses at the time, Mayweather had nothing to gain and everything to lose for fighting that chump.

He wanted to make sure Pac was clean before he accepted the fight, the guy moved up in weight got faster and more powerful knocking guys out left and right why not ask for the test. After that multiple fighters have tested dirty for peds.

EVEN THEN MAYWEATHER WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE SAME TEST

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056811296

Nothings been confirmed, but if made public, this would be the biggest sports story in years.

LOL. Don't shoot the messenger.

That's why I said Floyd might as well retire. I don;t think there is anyone right now that's worth his time. Pac at this point, only makes sense from a money perspective. If some dude once to get a 12 round boxing lesson from Floyd, good for them. I aint watching that ****.

You know he signed a reported $200M deal with Showtime/CBS for 6 fights?

Hopkins is interesting from a matchup POV.  They are both counter-punchers with good defense, however Floyd is way faster and his punch output is a lot higher.

Floyd makes people into millionaires.  I am not surprised how many folks want to throw their name into the hat of eligible opponents.  When you fight Floyd you likely will make more losing then you will as a champion later in your career.  It is pretty amazing.

I read an article that Floyd v. Amir Kahn has been greenlit as a possibility.  Not sure why the hell people would think Kahn has any chance.In fact with his lack of chin, I think Floyd could actually get a KO/TKO out of that one.

Floyd would KO Khan.

Why doesn't Floyd fight Broner at 147? Nobody even mentions that fight as a possibility.

Because Broner has repeatedly said, "I will never fight my big brother." Plus, after his last fight, Broner has a little something to prove. Actually, I'd like to see him against Garcia or Matthysse. Edited by DM72

Because Broner has repeatedly said, "I will never fight my big brother." Plus, after his last fight, Broner has a little something to prove. Actually, I'd like to see him against Garcia or Matthysse.

All signs are pointing to Broner fighting Maidana next which is good fight for both guys. Maidana has the power to put him out if shows up with that leaky defense. He might try to use the shoulder roll, but he should abandon it, he 's not that good at it. 

That said, Devon Alexander provided the blueprint to beating Maidana. Broner would do well to follow that plan.

All signs are pointing to Broner fighting Maidana next which is good fight for both guys. Maidana has the power to put him out if shows up with that leaky defense. He might try to use the shoulder roll, but he should abandon it, he 's not that good at it.  That said, Devon Alexander provided the blueprint to beating Maidana. Broner would do well to follow that plan.

I forgot about that. That might be a good fight, but Maidana might be damaged goods after Alexander schooled him.

I forgot about that. That might be a good fight, but Maidana might be damaged goods after Alexander schooled him.

He's not damaged goods, he just has a style that can be countered if you neutralize his power. Even in the fights he's lost, he hasn't really been badly hurt. Khan beat him by outboxing while surviving some scary moments. Alexander did the same, but he didn't take the damage that Khan did.

Maidana is still very much a live body, I don't see much deterioration in his skills or any wear & tear on his body.

Lemme ask your opinions, who of any era beats Floyd in their primes in his weight range? And how?

Really depends on how many times they fight. Floyd wouldn't walk through the greats of past eras, but he would definitely be competitive with just about any of them.

Ray Robinson would be the only one I pick to destroy him at 147. I think Mayweather would hang with Ray Leonard/Hearns/Duran at 147. He wouldn't be undefeated if he were in that era, but he would have a couple of wins over some of those guys.

One of my dream fights would be Prime Mayweather vs. Prime Sweet Pea. Might see 10 clean punches landed in that entire fight with their defenses.

Edited by StillUnknown

I believe Leonard, Pacquiao and Hearns beats him. The vastly underrated Aaron Pryor would have been interesting. Dude was avoided by many, including Leonard. I don't know if anyone was ever as good as Leonard in his prime. Hearns was a hard hitter with height and reach over Floyd. Pacquiao had very quick hand and power and could hit you from a lot of different angles. And he's a southpaw. I'm not so sure that shoulder roll is as effective against a southpaw.

But even though I'm critical of Floyd, I know dude is one of the most talented fighters I've ever seen and he could beat any one of those guys.

But Floyd is not an offensive counter puncher like Marquez. I just don't think Floyd has ever really faced a volume puncher like Pac.

Wouldn't have to be. Pac's offense would provide the opportunities for Floyd's counters. The different angles of Pac's offensive game would be somewhat nullified by the fact that Floyd doesn't use much lateral movement when defending.

Floyd has seen people closer to Pac than Pac has seen anything like Floyd

If that PPV is over the 2mil mark, Floyd will probably make 70-80mil when they add it up.

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15220.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1778092-cj-ross-reportedly-takes-self-imposed-leave-in-wake-of-mayweather-canelo-debacle

JUDGE C.J. ROSS TAKES LEAVE OF ABSENCE IN WAKE OF MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO CONTROVERSIAL SCORECARD

According to reports out of Las Vegas, veteran judge C.J. Ross has taken
a "self-imposed indefinite leave of absence" following her
controversial scoring of last Saturday's clash between undefeated
pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather and former jr.
middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

**** More at Links ****

But Floyd is not an offensive counter puncher like Marquez. I just don't think Floyd has ever really faced a volume puncher like Pac.

LOL. Dude give it up.

Pacquaio has NEVER faced someone who is as fast as Mayweather. And he doesnt face guys who move around as much as Mayweather.

And a counterpunch is a counterpunch. No one likes getting potshot for 12 rounds, especially since Floyd's counters do hurt his opponents.

Pacquaio would be taught a lesson too.

Edited by JoeWolf990

The hell Mayweather isn't an offensive counter-puncher.  He lands more punches "going backwards" then most of his opponents do coming forward.

What makes Floyd so good is that he isn't a "punch for punch" guy like say Hopkins, who is 75% defense.

Floyd makes you miss, then hits you with three.  He also hits guys from every angle and spot.  He doesn't just counter with straight punches.  It is extremely hard to train for punches that you never know which direction they are coming from.

His power is also deceptive as well, which is directly related to fighters not knowing where the punch(s) is coming from.

Pac excels against fighters who plod straight forward into his volume of punches. Almost all of his opponents over the past five years are guys who will routinely walk straight forward with no head movement and take punches over and over thinking they can walk him down and eventually break through.

The one guys Pac has fought in that time that can box is JMM and he just got KO'd by him, and was gifted a close controversial decision in the third fight.  There is a reason that the best boxer he has faced was close to winning every fight they had.

Draw

Unanimous - Win

Split Decision - Win

KO - loss