Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Let me guess, Canelo will be the next fighter Floyd makes excuses not to fight.

That's what it looks like. Floyd doesn't want to tarnish his legacy by having a loss on his record. The problem is he is tarnishing it even more by not fighting all comers.

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

I don't think its a guarantee Canelo gets past Trout.

Canelo isn't losing to anyone anytime soon....he is the best in his division as well as the division below and above him....not surprised Floyd doesn't want to fight him.

Canelo isn't losing to anyone anytime soon....he is the best in his division as well as the division below and above him....not surprised Floyd doesn't want to fight him.

I would pick Sergio to beat him at 154 or 160.

Canelo has talent, but let him beat somebody before accusing Mayweather of "ducking" him. Fact is, Canelo's resume is still paper thin. A win over Trout goes a long way.

I still think Mayweather fights him in September, provided both are victorious in April/May respectively.

I do thank Canelo for saving me money, since he's not on the Mayweather/Guerrero undercard, I see no reason to purchase the event.

Edited by StillUnknown

Once again, you guys are giving Floyd an excuse to not fight a guy everyone wants to see him fight.

And once again, you are looking to knock Floyd at every possible opportunity.

Don't read so much into every little boxing news release, its just noise. I think its a 90% shot the fight is made for later this year, again, provided they both win their next fights.

I do thank Canelo for saving me money, since he's not on the Mayweather/Guerrero undercard, I see no reason to purchase the event.

I was a bit disappointed when I first read he was not fighting on the card; my second thought was exactly what you just said!

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 12:29 PM ----------

Once again, you guys are giving Floyd an excuse to not fight a guy everyone wants to see him fight.

agree....Floyd will always dictate his fights. He isn't gonna make a fight with a dangerous opponent he knows he can't beat. The only quality opponent he's faced in the last five years that I can remember is Cotto.

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

Don't read so much into every little boxing news release, its just noise. I think its a 90% shot the fight is made for later this year, again, provided they both win their next fights.

I think he'll find an excuse not to fight....whether it is steroid accusations, money, or maybe he'll come up with something new this time.

I think he'll find an excuse not to fight....whether it is steroid accusations, money, or maybe he'll come up with something new this time.

I'll criticize him if it doesn't happen, I just don't see the point in getting worked up about it now. We're talking about a fight that would happen several months from now.

Knowing Floyd, if Canalo turns into a worldwind of whoop ass on Trout, Floyd will come up with some excuse to put this fight off. I'd bet my bottom dollar on that. He'll give Cotto a rematch or he might fight Bradley or even fight JMM with Olympic style drug testing. And you guys will use the typical "it makes good business" copout to justify it.

---------- Post added February-28th-2013 at 01:01 PM ----------

I'll criticize him if it doesn't happen, I just don't see the point in getting worked up about it now. We're talking about a fight that would happen several months from now.

You know why some of us are a little worked up? Because we've seen this movie before.

Knowing Floyd, if Canalo turns into a worldwind of whoop ass on Trout, Floyd will come up with some excuse to put this fight off. I'd bet my bottom dollar on that. He'll give Cotto a rematch or he might fight Bradley or even fight JMM with Olympic style drug testing. And you guys will use the typical "it makes good business" copout to justify it.

Well if he waffles this time, it will most likely be the drug testing argument. He won't have Bob Arum to point the finger at. Besides, I'm sure he knows how bad it will look if he once again makes a big deal out of fighting a guy who boxing fans are clamoring for.

Edit, Pac also getting knocked out sort of let him off the hook.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

SU is overly objective when it comes to Mayweather to a fault. I'm going by history when it comes to Floyd.

I don't even like Floyd the person, just the skill-set. (Always loved fighters who could make high level guys look foolish, Sweet Pea is my favorite of all time)

I just realize not everything is as black & white as you try to make it seem at times.

As I said before, if Canelo beats Trout and May beats Guerrero, if May doesn't fight Canelo in his next fight, I'll criticize him just as hard as you are now.

Edited by StillUnknown

If both fighters win their fights, then Canelo is a prime candidate to fight Floyd. However, don't forget the last few fights that was talked about for Canelo and Floyd got jinxed because folks were either looking ahead, money issues or injury (Ortiz/Lopez, Kirkland, Williams, Berto/Guerrero). Floyd will fight, we just gotta wait and see. Hope to see a good fight regardless of who, just want to see it soon. Also, hope this May 4th undercard gets some better fights scheduled. Gonna save money on this PPV too.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/3/10/4085216/adrien-broner-vs-paulie-malignaggi-official-june-22-barclays-center-boxing

Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer announced tonight at the Hopkins-Cloud post-fight press conference that a fight between WBA welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi and current WBC lightweight titlist Adrien Broner is done for June 22. The fight will be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, most likely airing on HBO.

Really disappointing that Broner is apparently skipping 140 altogether to fight Malignaggi who really isn't a 147lb'er to begin with. So many better matchups to be made for Broner at 140 within the Golden Boy stable (Lucas Matthysse, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, and others)

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/3/10/4085216/adrien-broner-vs-paulie-malignaggi-official-june-22-barclays-center-boxing

Really disappointing that Broner is apparently skipping 140 altogether to fight Malignaggi who really isn't a 147lb'er to begin with. So many better matchups to be made for Broner at 140 within the Golden Boy stable (Lucas Matthysse, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, and others)

Get ready for Mayweather part 2.

Congrats to Bernard Hopkins on his win against Tavoris Cloud. B-Hop is a great boxer, but he schools these young guys after he gets in their heads. Cloud can punch, but his skills and boxing IQ just isn't there yet to be great. Hopefully, B-hop retires before he gets hurt. As long as he's winning against good competition, I can't complain much. Broner vs Paulie will be good while it lasts. Should be a good win for Broner's resume, but he does need to get back down to 140 lbs and make some noise there. Very good competition at 140 lbs.

Congrats to Bernard Hopkins on his win against Tavoris Cloud. B-Hop is a great boxer, but he schools these young guys after he gets in their heads. Cloud can punch, but his skills and boxing IQ just isn't there yet to be great. Hopefully, B-hop retires before he gets hurt. As long as he's winning against good competition, I can't complain much. Broner vs Paulie will be good while it lasts. Should be a good win for Broner's resume, but he does need to get back down to 140 lbs and make some noise there. Very good competition at 140 lbs.

BHop won me a little bit of money last night. Cloud got a gift decision against Campillo his last time out, fighters with skill give him problems, even the old ones apparently.