Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

So now Punisher vs. Margarito? The Ring's Welter rankings: http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ratings2.html

Paul's third, behind Cotto (who'll now drop) and Mosley (who's fighting in Sept).

You know Margarito wants a rematch, and I'm sure Punisher would relish the chance to get another title and move up in the rankings (hell, if he beats Margarito, he could move up to first in the Ring).

So even knowing the result, is this worth seeing when/if it comes to regular HBO?

most definitley. it was a damn good fight.

i've gone back and forth on saturday's fight, but i've settled on Margarito by late round TKO.

no real rhyme or reason to it. pretty evenly matched fight, but i'm thinking even though Cotto is the better boxer, his lack of head movement against Margarito's power shots may present a problem late in the fight. then again, i don't think Margarito has ever faced the type of barrage to the body he could see against Cotto. i can see either winning the fight in spectacular, but i'm riding with Margarito as my official prediction.:2cents:

i'm not gloating though :D

Finally a PPV fight that was worth the money. I don't see anyone beating Margarito.
Need I remind you: http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:1198490

EDIT: Over 100 punches/round=over 1 punch every 2 seconds :yikes:

And GR, let me see if I got this: If Paul won, and became the Ring Welter champ, and then moved up a weight class, he'd still be the Welter champ, right?

Finally a PPV fight that was worth the money. I don't see anyone beating Margarito.

Margarito is not unbeatable. he has trouble when people apply consistent pressure to him. thats what happened against Paul Williams when Margarito lost. Williams came out and threw close to a hundred punches a round, which really hurt Margarito's offense as he was more on the defense in that fight.

alot of people had Joshua Clottey beating Margarito in their fight until Clottey broke his hands mid way through the fight, Margarito still couldn't finish him.

Margarito is a tough SOB and a great fighter, but he is by no means unbeatable

Guest sith lord
Margarito is not unbeatable. he has trouble when people apply consistent pressure to him. thats what happened against Paul Williams when Margarito lost. Williams came out and threw close to a hundred punches a round, which really hurt Margarito's offense as he was more on the defense in that fight.

alot of people had Joshua Clottey beating Margarito in their fight until Clottey broke his hands mid way through the fight, Margarito still couldn't finish him.

Margarito is a tough SOB and a great fighter, but he is by no means unbeatable

If he fought Williams again, he'll beat him. He was actually coming on late in their last fight.

EDIT: People can praise MMA all they want, but nothing compares to a great boxing match. Last nights fight was a war.

If he fought Williams again, he'll beat him. He was actually coming on late in their last fight.

EDIT: People can praise MMA all they want, but nothing compares to a great boxing match. Last nights fight was a war.

i'm not so sure. Paul Williams has a better chin than Cotto. Cotto backed up essentially the entire fight, Paul Williams actually had Margarito going back early in the fight. Margarito couldn't break Williams like he did with Cotto, and Paul Williams is one of the few fighters who is bigger than Margarito.

i think a rematch would play alot like the first fight, with Williams winning the enough early rounds on points and surviving the late round rush by Margarito to win a decision.

on another note:

Lacy to retire?

Photo: Big Joe Miranda

laceyvsmendoza4.jpgFormer IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy, expected to face former Olympic teammate Jermain Taylor on November 15, now says he's retiring. "There will be no fight between me and Jermain," Lacy told the Tampa Tribune. "I'm just retiring," he said. "I'm done. This business is dirty. That's all I have to say. This is a very dirty business. I would advise anyone who has kids not to ever let them fight in this business." Lacy (24-1, 17 KOs), who won a hard fought ten round majority decision over Epifiano Mendoza on Wednesday, did not go into specifics.

Well not necessarily ACW. Usually, the fighters will vacate the championship if they move up in class. And I agree completely with you Sith, no MMA fight can touch boxing when its at its best.

Stillunknown, good analysis. Margarito is far from unbeatable. Styles make fights. Clottey was def winning up until he broke his hand. Gotta give him his props tho, he was one tough SOB.