Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

man, they need to calm down on that rematch talk. This fight was a comprehensive beat down minus the last round.

Unless Martinez loses his legs the next fight will be the exact same way except Sergio will be smarter that last round and not trade (which he had been doing most of the night)

I agree. We don't need to see this again. Sergio won 11 of 12 rounds.

Sergio won decisively, and lets be honest, he could have just duck and run the 12th round and avoided any drama to begin with, let alone after the 1st KO, but he chose to keep the brawl going, giving JCC Jr every opportunity to continue his 12th round assault.

I

---------- Post added September-16th-2012 at 04:49 AM ----------

Oh and not only all of what has been said, but JCC Jr was the much bigger fighter in the ring tonight. He had every advantage that a "top level fighter" would normally enjoy over his opponent, except the fact that he is not as skilled as the elite fighters. Why should he be given a second chance in such a lopsided fight?

Oh and not only all of what has been said, but JCC Jr was the much bigger fighter in the ring tonight. He had every advantage that a "top level fighter" would normally enjoy over his opponent, except the fact that he is not as skilled as the elite fighters. Why should he be given a second chance in such a lopsided fight?

thats teh other thing. for all the stuff about Chavez's chin, Chavez came into that fight weight between 175-180, imo. It was probably more considering dude's past. Of course he isnt going to get rocked, he has a huge weight advantage.

I give Chavez credit for not quitting, but thats because I had low expectations for the guy anyway. That rich kid needs to move up to Super middleweight or light heavyweight if he wants me to respect him.

People are acting like the 12th round in a boxing match is like garbage time in an nfl game. No matter that martinez won those first 11 rounds, chavez still came close as hell to winning that fight. If chavez had begun to let hit hands go earlier in the fight, we might have seen a different outcome. I believe a rematch would be warranted and that we could definitely see a different outcome in the fight.

Edited by prsnljournalst3

People are acting like the 12th round in a boxing match is like garbage time in an nfl game. No matter that martinez won those first 11 rounds, chavez still came close as hell to winning that fight. If chavez had begun to let hit hands go earlier in the fight, we might have seen a different outcome. I believe a rematch would be warranted and that we could definitely see a different outcome in the fight.

Chavez couldnt let his hands go because he had no target. Martinez was constantly moving and Chavez doesnt have the hand or foot speed to negate that.

And the only reason why Chavez caught Martinez in the last round was down to Martinez trying to KO Chavez and leaving himself open, which he wasnt doing most of the fight.

Watch a Chavez fight when he was fighting these bums. Chavez would throw the guys into the ropes or corner and wail at their body. Guys that did not have fast hands and were sitting targets. Martinez is the exact opposite of that and he exposed Chavez badly, to the point it was embarrassing to see.

If the two were to fight again, it would be 12 rounds of that again and Martinez would not give Chavez the chance to KO him. The outcome would be exactly the same. Chavez is just not an elite boxer, not even close to be honest.

---------- Post added September-16th-2012 at 01:41 AM ----------

in fact Chavez may be more emboldened to step in and Martinez would just counter him to death. Chavez does not belong in the same ring as Martinez or any elite fighter.

Andre Ward wants to fight Chavez at 168 because he knows he would kill Chavez, but he also knows that would be a huge payday.

Chavez couldnt let his hands go because he had no target. Martinez was constantly moving and Chavez doesnt have the hand or foot speed to negate that.

And the only reason why Chavez caught Martinez in the last round was down to Martinez trying to KO Chavez and leaving himself open, which he wasnt doing most of the fight.

Watch a Chavez fight when he was fighting these bums. Chavez would throw the guys into the ropes or corner and wail at their body. Guys that did not have fast hands and were sitting targets. Martinez is the exact opposite of that and he exposed Chavez badly, to the point it was embarrassing to see.

If the two were to fight again, it would be 12 rounds of that again and Martinez would not give Chavez the chance to KO him. The outcome would be exactly the same. Chavez is just not an elite boxer, not even close to be honest.

in fact Chavez may be more emboldened to step in and Martinez would just counter him to death. Chavez does not belong in the same ring as Martinez or any elite fighter.

Andre Ward wants to fight Chavez at 168 because he knows he would kill Chavez, but he also knows that would be a huge payday.

All i know is that martinez' ass hit the canvas in the 12th round. That doesn't happen to pound 4 pound greats as far an I'm aware.

All i know is that martinez' ass hit the canvas in the 12th round. That doesn't happen to pound 4 pound greats as far an I'm aware.

and all i know, as well as everyone who watched this fight, is that Chavez got his butt handed to him for 11 rounds.

Even when he knocked down Martinez, Martinez got up and fired back at Chavez. Chavez slow self couldnt close the deal for a reason. He aint good enough.

The reason why the 12th round does not necessarily justify a rematch is because Martinez pretty much facilitated his own demise in that round. As soon as he tasted JCC Jr's power in the 11th, knowing he was up on the scorecards by an insurmountable amount, he could have made the conscious decision to do the usual, stick and move, no mistakes, evasion 12th round, and it would have forced JCC Jr to chase him out of desperation.

Instead, he chose to make the decision to go to toe to toe and try and go for a KO. Keep in mind Martinez is 37 years old, at the end of his career. He could have easily not give JCC Jr anything to throw at in the final round, but he risked his own victory to go for a KO, putting himself in the danger zone of a bigger fighter with punching power.

If he would have just ran away and avoided JCC Jr in the 12th, there would be no rematch talk. Basically Martinez had to put his face and head right in front of JCC Jr in order for him to be hit with big punches. There is a reason he didn't do that the entire fight until the last round.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-breaks-hand-tears-knee-ligaments--57163

Chavez doesn't deserve a rematch, but he'll get it because the money will be too good for both to pass up. He didn't even fight for the 1st half of the fight. He needs a better trainer and needs to have more discipline. Can't get by on his name alone, even though that's what he's been doing so far and fighting bums

Martinez proved his worth fighting through these injuries. He still busted up Chavez. 12th round was good, but not enough for me to say he deserves a rematch.

I really hope that beatdown doesn't affect Lopez moving forward. He had a promising future at 140lbs, but we've seen fighters have trouble when attempting to come back down in weight. That fight should have never happened. I understand that Canelo tried to get others in but he was seemingly cursed in finding opponents. If Golden Boy wasn't so dead set on going head to head with Top Rank they would have made the logical call of pushing the date back and finding a credible opponent for Canelo. Beating the piss out of a 140lb fighter proves nothing about Canelo in terms of his progression as a fighter.

You could see early in that fight, he knew he had nothing to fear in terms of power from Lopez. Heart only carries you so far in boxing, weigh-classes matter.

Martinez did as I expected against JCCjr. You do not go from fighting the likes of Andy Lee to thinking you can compete with one of the best pure boxers in the sport regardless of weight-class in Martinez. I don't think he deserves a rematch, but it will probably happen. It will be another easy payday for Martinez so he won't turn it down.

All fighters hit the canvas at some point in their career, it only has a bearing on their status if it repeatedly happens.

Edited by StillUnknown

You're right, Chavez is just too slow to keep up with Sergio. His footwork was all wrong, especially fighting a freagin' south paw. Sergio would land that left with ease because Chavez never was great a his footwork. He couldn't stay on Sergio's outside foot, and he just left himself to be a sitting target.

Chavez is used to brawling more than boxing. You can't sit there and try and trade blows with a south paw. You got to outbox him.

Edited by tone_dubbz

Did anyone catch Pac/JMM on First Take this morning? I admit, Pac is my boy, but it was painful to see/hear him speak and try to answer questions? I don't know if he has a problem understanding the english language, but he couldn't put his thoughts together.

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 02:26 PM ----------

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13261.html

Chavez doesnt care about boxing.

Like father, like son.

Edited by DM72

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...