Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could a 2-HB set jumpstart the running game?

Russell Shotgun

Just a quick thought I had about getting the running game back on track. It seems clear from the past couple of weeks that opponents are stacking the line to stop Portis and the run game from gaining any ground. Our O-line has shown that it isn't solid enough to take on 8 defenders and run the ball with success.

We got lucky with Collins making some clutch throws last week, but if we have any chance to win the next 3, we're going to have to get the running game going again.

Could using Portis AND Betts in the backfield at the same time be the answer? I don't think I've seen us run anything like this in the past, but the Saints had some success last year with McAllister and Bush at the same time. The way I see it, we've got one of the best all-around backs in the game in Portis and a more than capable RB in Betts - why not use them both at the same time?

Portis is a good blocker and might take the attention away from Betts to allow cutback runs or misdirection plays to work. Might be too late to try and do something like this, but why not give it a shot? We can't expect to win with less than 50 yards on the ground. Thoughts?

This would probably be a good idea. I just can't stop thinking about how much our O-line gets pushed back every play. It seems like the pocket disintegrates immediately and having more people in the backfield might just make it even more crowded. I like the idea of Sellers and Portis going downfield and hurting people for Ladell as long as they have space to find people!

We just need to start creating holes if at all possible...

what we shold do is run the Maryland-I (dunno why its called that)

Basically, line the FB behind the QB, RB1 behind the FB and RB2 behind RB1. That way, you can fake handoff to RB1 who runs up the middle with the FB, and then hand to RB2 who sweeps around. Or any other variation, hell you could triple play fake and pass to the RB in the flat or down the middle.

I don't think so. I don't like the idea of Betts or Portis playing the FB roll. That would mean Sellers would be in leaving only two other weapons on the field, a WR and TE, or just WRs. Sounds like a jumbo package and we're trying to encourage the team to run out of spread formations, not jumbo.

I don't think so. I don't like the idea of Betts or Portis playing the FB roll. That would mean Sellers would be in leaving only two other weapons on the field, a WR and TE, or just WRs. Sounds like a jumbo package and we're trying to encourage the team to run out of spread formations, not jumbo.

I dunno... Play action to CP or LB, have CP pass protect and LB go out as a dump off route... I think it could work...

Also what about the LG pulling towards Betts' side, faking a pitch to Betts, and turning around and flipping it to CP

I dunno... Play action to CP or LB, have CP pass protect and LB go out as a dump off route... I think it could work...

Also what about the LG pulling towards Betts' side, faking a pitch to Betts, and turning around and flipping it to CP

I like the last idea and what we should do is have Sellers at QB in that case so that he can then run block for portis. Granted, teams will read straight through that trickery...

We need more cowbell.......and we need more Betts.

Fresh legs......doesn't get keyed on by defenses.....and out to show some club that they should try to pick him up after the season is over.

He is fired up.

Let the kid play.

Not sure how another team could pick him up in the off-season. He signed a 5 year contract extension last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/08/AR2006120800804.html

i've been screaming for this all year

GET BETTS ON THE GODDAMNED FIELD

i don't care how, or who he is with. Why not he and Portis? On running and passing plays? One is automatically a decoy every play, or both. What a waste.

Another MAJOR COACHING ERROR you can add to the list this year.

We need more cowbell.......and we need more Betts.

Fresh legs......doesn't get keyed on by defenses.....and out to show some club that they should try to pick him up after the season is over.

He is fired up.

Let the kid play.

I would like to gain the permission from the mods to have the personal job of flaming this douche bag every time he posts. Whats that? Im allowed? Ok, good.

McD5- get off of Ladell's sack. Please.

I didn't mean to suggest that Portis should block for Betts; but he could stay back and pass block if we run a play-action fake to betts or Portis and then throw it to whoever gets open.

I would like to see the offense running some of the misdirection plays that New Orleans does. Have Portis and Betts in the backfield together, get the line going left and have Portis run a counter - then fake the run to him and pitch it to Betts going to other way.

At the very least, it might make the defense have to watch out a little bit more, rather than clamping down on whoever the running back is.

what we shold do is run the Maryland-I (dunno why its called that)

Basically, line the FB behind the QB, RB1 behind the FB and RB2 behind RB1. That way, you can fake handoff to RB1 who runs up the middle with the FB, and then hand to RB2 who sweeps around. Or any other variation, hell you could triple play fake and pass to the RB in the flat or down the middle.

Not such a good call. If we can't get push how are we gonna have time to fake handoff to 2 people?

They did it a few times when Sellers was out, but one of them was basically lining up as the FB.

I could see them lining them both up in the backfield, then sending one in motion, but that would make him more of a receiver on that play I guess.

With that said, the problem hasn't been the RB, it's been the O-line not blocking well and creating any holes. When Portis has gotten the ball in space lately, he's done VERY well.

I didn't mean to suggest that Portis should block for Betts; but he could stay back and pass block if we run a play-action fake to betts or Portis and then throw it to whoever gets open.

I would like to see the offense running some of the misdirection plays that New Orleans does. Have Portis and Betts in the backfield together, get the line going left and have Portis run a counter - then fake the run to him and pitch it to Betts going to other way.

At the very least, it might make the defense have to watch out a little bit more, rather than clamping down on whoever the running back is.

I totally understand where you are coming from, not using one of them as a traditional FB ... but if you can spread the field with 4 or 5 wr's why can't you spread the backfield with 2 good RB's? Let them run or pass or friggin block for the QB.

A lot of folks around here think we need to copy everything other teams have success at doing. It's time to pull out all the troops and use whatever means necessary to loosen that defense up. We can start our own damn trend in offensive play calling.

In other words ... THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Archived