Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blank's MNF comments - racist or not?

rincewind

As soon as he said it, my wife and I turned to each other in shocked amazement and laughed about the can of worms he had just opened - evidently we're right. There has been backlash to Falcons owner Arthur Blank saying that Michael Vick could come back to play QB for his team. However, Blank added, there is no telling what the future holds as Vick could put weight on by eating a lot of 'fried chicken and french fries'.

Is suggesting a black man might eat a lot of fried chicken racist? I mean, seriously, has anybody met a black man that didn't like fried chicken? Has anybody ever met ANY man that doesn't like fried chicken?

Personally, I don't think the comment was racist, but in this oversensitive PC world, Mr. Blank should have realized the implications of what he was saying.

NSFW

Here is the MNF clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnedwSEHlrQ

Being a black man when I first heard it. It did hit a nerve with me but after calming down pretty much stated what you stated what man does not like fried chicken he could be black, white, yellow, purple,blue whatever color. I think most would brush his comment off.

I knew someone had to bring this up. So, has it gotten to the point where it is not okay to talk about a black person and fried chicken in the same sentence now, even when you're clearly not being racist or making jokes?

I wasn't going to, and thought my wife and I were the only ones that noticed. Until I watched SC this morning and they ran a piece on it and talked about the 'backlash' to Blank's comments. I think its funnier (well, maybe sadder) than racist. Stupid old white man. :laugh:

I wasn't going to, and thought my wife and I were the only ones that noticed. Until I watched SC this morning and they ran a piece on it and talked about the 'backlash' to Blank's comments. I think its funnier (well, maybe sadder) than racist. Stupid old white man. :laugh:
If it takes more than 24 hours for the media to notice that something might be racist, it's probably not racist. :2cents:

Guest ComebackKing

What the heck... Whoa that's a bit of a stretch... If I was talking about anyone, any race, fried chicken would be one of the first things that comes to mind...

I had the ethnic food discussion with a black coworker a few years back. I'm hispanic and I thought it was laughable that fried chicken and watermelon when associated to blacks was racist. Who the hell doesn't like chicken and watermelon?

Personally I watched those comments and didn't think racism at all. In fact I saw them when they actually happened and didn't even think of the racist connection.

When I talk to my wife about watching what we eat I normally use a fried food as an example of what to stay away from. Less fried chicken more grilled chicken breast is what I normally say. Fried foods are the first that come to mind when I think of a fatty diet. I can't be the only person that thinks that way and it certainly has nothing to do with racism.

I heard that quote, but I didn't even think about it until now when I read your post. The rumor I'm hearing is that, to re-connect with black Falcons fans, who make up 52 percent of season-ticket holders, Blank may hire Mike Singletary as the next head coach. I really wanted to see Singletary here, to be honest with you.

It all kind of annoying to me. It's sad when the owner of the Falcons is talking about leaving the door open to take back his once-star QB after his prison sentence and the bigger news is that he made a low-key remark relating that QB to fried chicken and french fries because some people want to get their panties in a wad and get offended by it.

Then we get to watch a clip of Dave Chappelle speaking like he thinks most white people speak and it's all fine and dandy.

As soon as he said it, my wife and I turned to each other in shocked amazement and laughed about the can of worms he had just opened - evidently we're right. There has been backlash to Falcons owner Arthur Blank saying that Michael Vick could come back to play QB for his team. However, Blank added, there is no telling what the future holds as Vick could put weight on by eating a lot of 'fried chicken and french fries'.

Is suggesting a black man might eat a lot of fried chicken racist? I mean, seriously, has anybody met a black man that didn't like fried chicken? Has anybody ever met ANY man that doesn't like fried chicken?

Personally, I don't think the comment was racist, but in this oversensitive PC world, Mr. Blank should have realized the implications of what he was saying.

Eh, I don't find the comments offensive, though I'm not the least bit surprised some will...

...what I find more offensive is the fact that you actually tuned in to watch that game ;)

Archived