Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hmmm what if Daniel Snyder owned the Falcons....

smashmowf

Remember ATL is the WORST place (maybe miami) to own a team. Synder does suck in certain ways but I do believe he will spend any $ amount to win. He was a powerless fan once as well. He would have sold the Falcons already since their fan base is just so crappy. Look at the braves, they can't sell out playoff games. They lost vick and the stadium was empty. We are going to play Dallas with last years 3 string QB and that place in landover will be rocking, esp since we may be playing for a playoff spot, esp if we start the giants 3 game skid to end the season this weekend!:gaintsuck

We are going to play Dallas with last years 3 string QB and that place in landover will be rocking, esp since we may be playing for a playoff spot, esp if we start the giants 3 game skid to end the season this weekend!:gaintsuck

True. He does get a lot of fan support. But there are some holes beginning to show in the foundation. This team needs to start a winning tradition soon.

Every off-season, the Redskins need to "Rob Peter to Pay Paul".

They need to weaken one postion in order to patch holes in another position.

This the main reason that every season, something on the team breaks down.

Their starters are being overpaid. This means less money for backups. This means that injuries are extremely costly.

That's the Skins problems right there in a nutshell. These problems existed before Gibbs came back, too.

I always thought Blank was a halfway decent owner in what is just a lousy professional sports town.

His team imploded this year because Michael Vick committed a fairly remarkable crime and Petrino turned out to Nick Saban in disguise.

I will say this, Saban and Petrino have probably ended the NFL dreams of many an NCAA coach. What owner would want to go down that path again?

The reason people show sympathy for Blank is he's always straight up with the media and the fans. He's not hiding behind some PR spokesman, like Snyder ususally is. Snyder spoke after Sean's death which was nice to hear, but you'll hardly see Snyder face the media when his team's losing. Unless it's a fluff interview with someone he knows won't press him. That's why the media rips him so much.

Plus Arthur Blank didn't try to gouge his own fanbase by raising ticket prices, raising concession prices, making parking at the stadium a nightmare so fans will upgrade their seats to get better parking, try to force the fans to use a team-logo credit card, sell off his players tickets to corporate sponsors, force the fans to rent a Kangaroo just to get the scores of other games, etc.

At least Vick got the Falcons to the NFC Championship game, something that Snyder's Overpaid Bums have yet to do.

I have to disagree here. The owner is ultimately responsible for the end product. Bill Gates may not be out there designing software, but he is at fault if the product is subpar - especially when he charges more for it than most other programs on the market.

I agree to to a certain extent. However, if Snyder were just sitting back, not spend money ( the arguement on how it is spent is not relevant here ), then I would agree 100% that it would be his fault.

Use the Florida Marlins as an example. They get rid of all their players and field a sub-par team BECAUSE the ownership doesn't care to spend money on players because they are making money either way. Heck, use our O's as an example. Angelos!? :doh: At least Synder dumps more money on his team then anyone else. It just hasn't worked so far. He is trying to build a winner. He just hasn't found the right pieces yet. So I guess I give him the benefit of the doubt. So far.

Use the Florida Marlins as an example. They get rid of all their players and field a sub-par team BECAUSE the ownership doesn't care to spend money on players because they are making money either way. Heck, use our O's as an example. Angelos!? :doh: At least Synder dumps more money on his team then anyone else. It just hasn't worked so far. He is trying to build a winner. He just hasn't found the right pieces yet. So I guess I give him the benefit of the doubt. So far.

So what's worse - spending everything you can under the rules, raising expectations and prices while still falling on your face, or making it known that the team should not be expected to do much and accepting it before the season starts?

I think both options suck equally. The end result in both is still a losing team, but at least in one of the scenarios you know what you're getting (and buying).

The reason people show sympathy for Blank is he's always straight up with the media and the fans. He's not hiding behind some PR spokesman, like Snyder ususally is. Snyder spoke after Sean's death which was nice to hear, but you'll hardly see Snyder face the media when his team's losing. Unless it's a fluff interview with someone he knows won't press him. That's why the media rips him so much.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Snyder get blasted in the past because he was in the public eye too much?

I think what you see Snyder doing now is letting his coaches take care of football issues while he's doing more of the behind-the-scenes business part.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Snyder get blasted in the past because he was in the public eye too much?

I think what you see Snyder doing now is letting his coaches take care of football issues while he's doing more of the behind-the-scenes business part.

No, he got blasted for being meddlesome and making some bad moves. Then he hide away from the media because he's too thin skinned to take criticism. That's what I don't get about Snyder. You'd think he'd be above all that.

Jerry Jones has been blasted by the media several times for things he's done over the years. Does Jerry care? No, he's above it because he knows it comes with the territory. That's why the media loves Jerry. Doesn't matter what they write about him, he's always going to be straightup with them.

A few things to add to the debate.

How does being interested in making money make someone bad in a capitalist economy? You don't have to like it, but it's the world we live in. Also, ever care to consider that if the Skins were contenders they would make more money than they already do?

Any opinions that he is more interested in making money than winning is completely conjecture.

The problems this team has dealt with include the early Snyder years. If we hadn't had 5 coaches in the past 9 years we would have some more consistency with the roster, schemes, and way of doing football business. You have to imagine that lesson has been learned.

Snyder is a laughing stock to those fans or media figures who are jealous or have personal beef with him ....

Why would he be the the laughing stock of the league when he makes more money than most succesful franchises...

If any he is the envy for owners,coaches, and players alike

Players from other teams often praise the treatment that redskin players recieved from there owner....

we always get dibs on top free agents

players we want rarely visit the place and not sign since snyder has been the owner..

Snyder is in a lose lose situation because if he spends alot and the team doesnt perform he's considered an overpaying dummy

If he were to not spend so much and we still lose he will be considered a cheapskate ..

If he fires Gibbs for not producing as a coach/Gm he is meddling

if he leaves Gibbs there hire a GM and we still lose , people will say he hired the wrong GM

Fans have the ability to think that there opinion is what carries league wide and thats far from the truth.....

There are 32 teams in the league an only 12 make the post season so there are 20 bad owners per year if we used skins fans logic

All of the critics have no memory. Please name a better Redskin owner than Snyder.

Obviousy: Jack Kent Cooke.

Of course, his wife got busted in Georgetown hanging off the front end of a limo with her Latin boyfriend driving, but . . . He did leave the running of the team to Bobby Beathard. When Gibbs got a fathead and demanded more control, BB left, then Gibbs retired after he aged out (and buned out) the team.

So, name a better Skins owner.

Cooke the Younger? He kept Norv.

George Preston Marshall, who refused to have any black players on the team, until forced todo so by the league?

Williams? He spent foolishly, like Snyder, but hired George Allen.

I will take Snyder as our owner over most owners in the league. At least he spends money attempting to win. Yes, he makes mistakes. But if any one of us were owner of the Skins, we would make similar mistakes. Would any one of you give the keys of this car to some GM? Be honest.

HTTR

:helmet:

Would any one of you give the keys of this car to some GM? Be honest.

HTTR

:helmet:

Of course. I want to win. I know jack about running a football team, let alone building a winner. If I had tons of money, I'd hire the best eye for talent in the game, give him whatever he wants to hire the best scouts in the sport and let him build my franchise into the envy of the league.

The better question is, why wouldn't you do that?

chicago is hardly a laughing stock, they just went to the superbowl last year.

jets went to the playoffs last year and now suck, but have been pretty up and down over the past few years.

cincy just needs a defense, their offense is top flight.

wont argue ari/det/mia/sf - these teams suck and probably will for awhile. but dont forget, we have sucked just as bad as these teams over the past 15 years. to think otherwise is just blatantly ignoring history.

Yup.

It's funny how we're supposed to take comfort in not sucking as bad as the Cardinals, Dolphins, or Lions. The difference is at one time this organization was the envy of the league. We have been downright awful for the majority of seasons after Gibbs first retired and that includes Snyder's time as owner.

really?? then why was the game against the vikings moved to sunday night?

Just to play devil's advocate, it could be that they're interested in the new Cinderella team in the league, the Vikes, and their golden boy, Adrian Peterson, and that we just happen to play them at a critical time

But yeah, Chicago is definitely more of a laughing stock this season-- how can you go from Super Bowl contender to garbage so soon? How can a defense go from terrifying to 12 year old girl-esque? (Could say the same thing about the Dolphins and the Ravens, too).

Before the season, not a whole lot of folks outside DC were expecting much from us this year. It's hard to be a laughing stock when you live up to (exceed?) expectations

On a deeper level I think most of the hate comes from us fans and the love affair we had with Jack Kent Cooke, he was a mean old man but damn he was an awesome owner. Dan Snyder will fall short for years and being honest as much money as Jack had he SHOULD have left this team to his son(s) but he didn't and the fact was his son couldn't come up with the money to purchase the team. I would have loved to see how the skins would have been had Jack not been so evil spirited towards his son and left it too him.......

Snyder is a laughing stock to those fans or media figures who are jealous or have personal beef with him ....

Why would he be the the laughing stock of the league when he makes more money than most succesful franchises...

Players from other teams often praise the treatment that redskin players recieved from there owner....

players we want rarely visit the place and not sign since snyder has been the owner..

Snyder is in a lose lose situation because if he spends alot and the team doesnt perform he's considered an overpaying dummy

If he were to not spend so much and we still lose he will be considered a cheapskate ..

If he fires Gibbs for not producing as a coach/Gm he is meddling

if he leaves Gibbs there hire a GM and we still lose , people will say he hired the wrong GM

Fans have the ability to think that there opinion is what carries league wide and thats far from the truth.....

There are 32 teams in the league an only 12 make the post season so there are 20 bad owners per year if we used skins fans logic

All good points. - It's also telling that he is now on 4 NFL committee's all by invitation. That doesn't sound like a laughing stock to me.

All professional sports teams can't be perfect all the time. Most go through rough patches, but none are perfect always. Snyder's biggest haters are the Redskins fan base who have unreasonable expectations - the arm chair types that can easily preach in hindsight. If we were one of 2 or 3 teams that had a hard time finding a coach or a QB, then it'd be different. But every team goes through those struggles. A lot of things have to go right to be a perennial playoff team.

All good points. - It's also telling that he is now on 4 NFL committee's all by invitation. That doesn't sound like a laughing stock to me.

All professional sports teams can't be perfect all the time. Most go through rough patches, but none are perfect always. Snyder's biggest haters are the Redskins fan base who have unreasonable expectations - the arm chair types that can easily preach in hindsight. If we were one of 2 or 3 teams that had a hard time finding a coach or a QB, then it'd be different. But every team goes through those struggles. A lot of things have to go right to be a perennial playoff team.

These are all good points. I realize that a lot of things need to go right to be a perenial playoff team. Everyone realizes this.

HOWEVER....

With the Redskins, plenty of things are always going to go wrong. The team's Front Office, Philosophy, Methods and Long Term planning are garbage. Paying too much for their starters and not having enough money for young competent backups. One quick-fix patch followed by another. Strengthening one position by weakening another. Each season, something else breaks down.

The way Dan Snyder is running this team, the chances that a lot for things will go right are slim to none.

Unfortunately, 'dibs on top free agents' is a direct result over overpaying. It's becoming known that you come to the Skins for a payday. What makes you think people are envious of him? He is not even close to being the richest owner in the league.

And yes, when you make the playoffs only once in 8 years despite outspending everyone else, it is a poorly run organization. And that starts with him.

Laughing Stock?

TTR - I think you might be the king of over exaggeration for emphasis.

We are worse off or look worse currently than:

Miami

San Fran

Chicago

Detroit

Jets

Cincinnatti

Arizona ??

Those of us with realistic hopes at the beginning of the season saw us going about .500 this year. This is due to having a new qb in a new system. We have fufilled that thought.

Laughing Stock?

Great. We're better then seven teams in the NFL according to your logic. That makes you feel better?

personally I am happy to have Daniel Synder as the owner of my favorite team
Let me guess...not a season ticket holder?
I've heard nothing but sympathy for Arthur Blank and I wonder if Snyder would get the same treatment if he were the Falcons owner.....
Are you really comparing Arthur Blank and Dan Snyder? When Blank took over the Falcons he made a bunch of changes to the game day experience that were widely hailed as fan friendly decisions. When was the last time fan friendly and Dan Snyder were mentioned in the same sentance?

Archived