Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys have been fortunate

tr1

Hmmm...another story about how lucky the pukes are....and all the puke fans say I'm making the 'luck' thing up...

Damn, I just don't get any respect... :laugh:

Dallas is good all right, but has had lots of luck, too.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/12/12/1212cowboys.html

By Stephen Hawkins

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

IRVING — Two last-second victories in road games that had seemed like certain defeats. Several bad snaps, one that was 33 yards behind the line of scrimmage before Tony Romo sits to pee picked it up and scrambled for a first down.

Yes, there have been some great escapes this season for the Dallas Cowboys.

While the Cowboys have certainly been good, they have also had their share of good fortune.

"Luck is where preparation meets opportunity," linebacker Akin Ayodele said.

Or maybe it's fate making up for the past 10 seasons without a postseason victory, and the nearly 12 years since Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin won the last of their three Super Bowls in a four-season span.

"To think that it's been that long since this organization has won a playoff game, it is surprising," Aikman said during a visit to Valley Ranch.

Whatever the reason this season, there is plenty of good karma around the Cowboys, who just may be a team of destiny. They are already the NFC East champions and have the inside track to the conference's top playoff seed.

Dallas is getting the kind of breaks that are necessary for teams that win not only games, but championships.

Consider the improbable victories at Detroit and Buffalo, offseason gambles that have paid off, and the injuries to nose tackle Jason Ferguson and receiver Terry Glenn that have gone virtually unnoticed because of their replacements.

In their 28-27 victory Sunday at Detroit, the Cowboys trailed 27-14 in the fourth quarter. They never led until Jason Witten scored the game-winning TD with 18 seconds left, about five minutes after he had fumbled inside the 1.

Even before Witten's fumble, Jason Hanson missed a 35-yard field goal that would have put Detroit up by nine points. Then there was the kick save on the game-winning 83-yard drive with no timeouts when linebacker Paris Lenon tried to pick up Romo sits to pee's fumble instead of just dropping on it. Lenon wound up kicking the ball to guard Kyle Kosier, who fell on it.

There was also a fumble recovery before halftime by center Andre Gurode, who lost his helmet in the scramble for the ball, to keep alive Dallas' first TD drive.

"I just think collectively as a group we have a feeling that no matter how the game goes and the direction it is flowing, we are going to give ourselves a chance to win," Romo sits to pee said.

And why not? Nine weeks before Detroit, there was that Monday night miracle in Buffalo.

Romo sits to pee had six turnovers (five interceptions and a fumble) before the Cowboys scored nine points in the final 20 seconds. Rookie Nick Folk, after having his apparent game-winner wiped out by a Bills timeout, made the 53-yard kick again as time expired to give Dallas its only lead.

"It says a lot about the character of this team," Gurode said. "We kept fighting and things turned out right and we wound up winning the (Buffalo) game. (Detroit) was another one of those games we dug down deep, found an answer and won."

Romo sits to pee's wild scramble, when he ran almost 70 yards for what officially was a 4-yard gain, came in a 35-7 victory over St. Louis. But that came five plays before Romo sits to pee scored on a 15-yard run just before halftime to break a 7-7 tie.

So can all the good karma carry through the playoffs?

"It's just whether you've able to overcome breaks that don't go your way," Romo sits to pee said. "Like the fumble last year (against Seattle) in the playoffs. If I was a little bit faster, we might have scored and we would have overcome that bad break."

Thanks for posting this tr1. It serves as a reminder to us Cowboys fans that, and this is to your credit, as much as some of your over the top statements, such as the priceless Garrett is average statement you just made, get under our skin, it pales in comparison to the degree how much it gets under your skin that the Cowboys keep winning games.

Thanks for the reminder. Cheers!

Thanks for posting this tr1. It serves as a reminder to us Cowboys fans that, and this is to your credit, as much as some of your over the top statements, such as the priceless Garrett is average statement you just made, get under our skin, it pales in comparison to the degree how much it gets under your skin that the Cowboys keep winning games.

Thanks for the reminder. Cheers!

:cheers:

yeah I expect a lot of this during the offseason

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Damn, I just don't get any respect...

Hmm, let's see:

1. Cowboys will go no better than 8-8

2. Romo sits to pee is an average QB

3. Leonard Davis is a bad o-lineman

4. Garrett is an average Coordinator (if it wasn't for his o-line he would be bad)

5. Cowboys will get beat by GB, Det, Giants, Philly (at Philly), Bears, at Giants etc.

Thats just a few of your predictions and statements...

nope cant see much reason to respect ya, TR1. Not on football matters at least.

Hmm, let's see:

4. Garrett is an average Coordinator (if it wasn't for his o-line he would be bad)

5. Cowboys will get beat by GB, Det, Giants, Philly (at Philly), Bears, at Giants etc.

It doesn't appear that tr1 is after respect. From what it looks like, and this is JMO, he's more into baiting Cowboys fans into getting themselves banned. It's too bad because he does make an occasional point. It would be interesting to see what a quality poster he could be if he didn't screw around all the time.

Hmm, let's see:

What has Leonard Davis really done? I am not saying he is bad, but nothing has stood out to me to make him above average in my eyes.

Garrett is really that good? This is still a Parcells team with Parcells players intact from last year. It is not hard to get behind the wheel of a car that has had its engine rebuilt and fresh tires put on and win a race.

I can say the Pukes should have been beaten by any number of team but that just looks like sour grapes to me.

And I won't say that Romo sits to pee is average, but I will say this: I am so ****ing tired of hearing comparisons of him and Montana or him and Elway. This is his first real solid year (granted VERY solid) but come on folks, lay off the comparing him to a HOF for now.

What has Leonard Davis really done? I am not saying he is bad, but nothing has stood out to me to make him above average in my eyes.

Garrett is really that good? This is still a Parcells team with Parcells players intact from last year. It is not hard to get behind the wheel of a car that has had its engine rebuilt and fresh tires put on and win a race.

I can say the Pukes should have been beaten by any number of team but that just looks like sour grapes to me.

And I won't say that Romo sits to pee is average, but I will say this: I am so ****ing tired of hearing comparisons of him and Montana or him and Elway. This is his first real solid year (granted VERY solid) but come on folks, lay off the comparing him to a HOF for now.

Hmm, Davis is probably the best o-lineman on, perhaps, the best o-line in the NFC. He has absolutely mauled people all year. He was out of position at tackle for the Cards for much of his career, but at guard in Dallas he has been a monster.

As for Garrett, yes these are Parcells players...which is my point exactly. The Cowboys offense looked pretty good last year with the same players, but not THIS good. What has changed? L. Davis and Jason Garrett. You made my point for me.

Garrett came in with the same players and suddenly the Cowboys look much, much better.

Finally, you say this is the first season Romo sits to pee has looked good? True,he has looked better this year than in his half season last year (although he looked great for much of that as well!) but it is his FIRST full season. To look as good as he has this year, in only his first full season is pretty incredible. I won't compare him to Montana or Elway career-wise, but man he has made some incredible plays. Time will tell how good he will be for the long-haul, but he is having one of the best seasons of any QB ever. If Brady wasn't having the season he was Romo sits to pee would be a lock for MVP and people would be saying that this is one of, if not the best, seasons for a QB ever, at least from a regular season stand-point. We still have to see how he does in the playoffs.

Hmm, Davis is probably the best o-lineman on, perhaps, the best o-line in the NFC. He has absolutely mauled people all year. He was out of position at tackle for the Cards for much of his career, but at guard in Dallas he has been a monster.

As for Garrett, yes these are Parcells players...which is my point exactly. The Cowboys offense looked pretty good last year with the same players, but not THIS good. What has changed? L. Davis and Jason Garrett. You made my point for me.

Garrett came in with the same players and suddenly the Cowboys look much, much better.

Finally, you say this is the first season he has looked good? True, but it is his FIRST full season. To look as good as he has this year, in only his first full season is pretty incredible. I won't compare him to Montana or Elway career-wise, but man he has made some incredible plays. Time will tell how good he will be for the long-haul, but he is having one of the best seasons of any QB ever. If Brady wasn't having the season he was Romo sits to pee would be a lock for MVP and people would be saying that this is one of, if not the best, seasons for a QB ever, at least from a regular season stand-point. We still have to see how he does in the playoffs.

I think you took what I said as an attack and I was just making points. Davis may be doing well at his position but I dont know about mauling people. And you cant really say that the ENTIRE O line is outstanding when how many bad snaps did Gourde have in the Skins game alone?

I get why you are hyped up on Romo sits to pee and it is good to see that you also arent buying into the Montana hype machine either. He is playing lights-out and you should be happy with it and sure he has made some incredible plays. You get all of that. That wasnt my point, it was just the comparisons.

Ive just made a point in another thread about keeping Garrett over Wade as HC if it came up anyways so I am not saying anything bad about his talent. I am just saying he got the keys to a hot rod and is doing what he should. Props for that, but if he would have done it with the Dolphins I would have said genius. It really isnt that hard to look like you know what you are doing when you have TO, Witten, and Barber running the plays.

I think you took what I said as an attack and I was just making points. Davis may be doing well at his position but I dont know about mauling people. And you cant really say that the ENTIRE O line is outstanding when how many bad snaps did Gourde have in the Skins game alone?

I get why you are hyped up on Romo sits to pee and it is good to see that you also arent buying into the Montana hype machine either. He is playing lights-out and you should be happy with it and sure he has made some incredible plays. You get all of that. That wasnt my point, it was just the comparisons.

Ive just made a point in another thread about keeping Garrett over Wade as HC if it came up anyways so I am not saying anything bad about his talent. I am just saying he got the keys to a hot rod and is doing what he should. Props for that, but if he would have done it with the Dolphins I would have said genius. It really isnt that hard to look like you know what you are doing when you have TO, Witten, and Barber running the plays.

Nah, not taking it as an attack.

The Cowboys o-line has been the biggest suprise for me this year. Take away the 4 bad snaps by Gurode and he is having a Pro-Bowl year. And I still think he makes it. On the O-Line I think Gurode, Adams, Davis and maybe even Columbo all make it.

And my point about Garrett is just that all those players were here last year for the most part, but the Cowboys were not nearly as creative offensively as they are this year. Moving TO around, attacking the defense even with a lead, moving Witten around etc. Thats all Garrett. Hell, they don't even have Glenn this year and they are still eons better than they were through alot of last year.

It's unfortunate, but Garrett will probably move on to a head coaching job after this season. I'd like to see the Cowboys keep him (obviously), but Phillips has earned his keep in Big D for now. As the FO in San Diego found out the hard way, you don't just throw away a winning coach.

Besides, Wade's job in making the Cowboys D work isn't finished. This D is another offseason, some help at NT & CB, from being top 5.

Dallas is good all right, but has had lots of luck, too.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/12/12/1212cowboys.html

By Stephen Hawkins

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

IRVING — Two last-second victories in road games that had seemed like certain defeats. Several bad snaps, one that was 33 yards behind the line of scrimmage before Tony Romo sits to pee picked it up and scrambled for a first down.

Yes, there have been some great escapes this season for the Dallas Cowboys.

While the Cowboys have certainly been good, they have also had their share of good fortune.

"Luck is where preparation meets opportunity," linebacker Akin Ayodele said.

Or maybe it's fate making up for the past 10 seasons without a postseason victory, and the nearly 12 years since Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin won the last of their three Super Bowls in a four-season span.

"To think that it's been that long since this organization has won a playoff game, it is surprising," Aikman said during a visit to Valley Ranch.

Whatever the reason this season, there is plenty of good karma around the Cowboys, who just may be a team of destiny. They are already the NFC East champions and have the inside track to the conference's top playoff seed.

Dallas is getting the kind of breaks that are necessary for teams that win not only games, but championships.

Consider the improbable victories at Detroit and Buffalo, offseason gambles that have paid off, and the injuries to nose tackle Jason Ferguson and receiver Terry Glenn that have gone virtually unnoticed because of their replacements.

In their 28-27 victory Sunday at Detroit, the Cowboys trailed 27-14 in the fourth quarter. They never led until Jason Witten scored the game-winning TD with 18 seconds left, about five minutes after he had fumbled inside the 1.

Even before Witten's fumble, Jason Hanson missed a 35-yard field goal that would have put Detroit up by nine points. Then there was the kick save on the game-winning 83-yard drive with no timeouts when linebacker Paris Lenon tried to pick up Romo sits to pee's fumble instead of just dropping on it. Lenon wound up kicking the ball to guard Kyle Kosier, who fell on it.

There was also a fumble recovery before halftime by center Andre Gurode, who lost his helmet in the scramble for the ball, to keep alive Dallas' first TD drive.

"I just think collectively as a group we have a feeling that no matter how the game goes and the direction it is flowing, we are going to give ourselves a chance to win," Romo sits to pee said.

And why not? Nine weeks before Detroit, there was that Monday night miracle in Buffalo.

Romo sits to pee had six turnovers (five interceptions and a fumble) before the Cowboys scored nine points in the final 20 seconds. Rookie Nick Folk, after having his apparent game-winner wiped out by a Bills timeout, made the 53-yard kick again as time expired to give Dallas its only lead.

"It says a lot about the character of this team," Gurode said. "We kept fighting and things turned out right and we wound up winning the (Buffalo) game. (Detroit) was another one of those games we dug down deep, found an answer and won."

Romo sits to pee's wild scramble, when he ran almost 70 yards for what officially was a 4-yard gain, came in a 35-7 victory over St. Louis. But that came five plays before Romo sits to pee scored on a 15-yard run just before halftime to break a 7-7 tie.

So can all the good karma carry through the playoffs?

"It's just whether you've able to overcome breaks that don't go your way," Romo sits to pee said. "Like the fumble last year (against Seattle) in the playoffs. If I was a little bit faster, we might have scored and we would have overcome that bad break."

Hmm, let's see:

I never said #5. I predicted the pukes would be 6-0.

And, you failed to mention my predictions about your lousy pass defense.

Seems like some serious cherry picking here.

Oh, and at least I'm willing to make predictions. Lowly puke fans are SO afraid to make a prediction, they cower behind others posts.

Well fellas, are the pukes going to win their first playoff game in twelve years this year?

Come on...step up to the plate...and give us a detailed explanation why, okay?

:laugh:

Oh, and Romo sits to pee is an average qb. Put him behind an o-line that's having an average year, and you'll see what I mean.

Danny White II.

Oh, and at least I'm willing to make predictions. Lowly puke fans are SO afraid to make a prediction, they cower behind others posts.

Well fellas, are the pukes going to win their first playoff game in twelve years this year?

Oh, and Romo sits to pee is an average qb. Put him behind an o-line that's having an average year, and you'll see what I mean.

Danny White II.

Dallas will win a playoff game this year. The reason is quite simple, they are going to have a home playoff game and they are the best team in the NFC.

As far as Romo sits to pee being average, the numbers don't lie. The Cowboys OL give him time to make reads and throws, but they don't actually make the reads and throws, he does that....

And Danny White was a good QB. He took Dallas to 3 straight NFC Championship games, twice losing to the eventual Super Bowl Champion.

Danny White II.

You also made comments about late season melt downs. Hasn't happened, but until the season is over there's no point in commenting on it beyond noting it.

I believe Dallas will get two playoff wins this time around. The Cowboys have been consistently better than the rest of the NFC all season long so it makes sense that they should be favored to go to the SB.

This Dallas team is performing when the game is on the line. When they need to make the play they are doing it. Romo sits to pee is making all the of the throws accurately. While the OL has played well, Romo sits to pee's been extending and then making plays.

Defensively they need to play better but they have been making plays when they need to. 4th in sacks and 2nd in INT's in the NFC demonstrates that they are making plays.

They only thing keeping them from winning the SB, IMO, will be NE. Dallas would need to play a perfect game against them. There just aren't many chinks in that NE armor.

TheFan

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4129418&postcount=231

yes, they are the best team in the nfc.. they will make the superbowl and probably lose to n.e.

Awful big of you to bring up another blown prediction. Unless of course your finally prepared to statistically support Dallas having a lousy pass defense.

Fine. How about enlightening us with some of the Cowboy predictions you made correctly. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due.

Oh, and at least I'm willing to make predictions.

Making predictions isn't difficult. Manning up and admitting when you were wrong is.

Lowly puke fans are SO afraid to make a prediction, they cower behind others posts. Well fellas, are the pukes going to win their first playoff game in twelve years this year?

You can just take the opposite of your predictions for a good start of why the Cowboys will win their first playoff game.

1. Cowboys will go no better than 8-8 --Cowboy will be no worse than 14-2 and have homefield advantage.

2. Romo sits to pee is an average QB--Romo sits to pee is a very good QB who is having one of the best years ever for a QB. Leading the #2 offense in the league.

3. Leonard Davis is a bad o-lineman--Davis is a very good guard leading one of the best Olines in the NFL which will have multiple Pro Bowl players

4. Garrett is an average Coordinator (if it wasn't for his o-line he would be bad) Garrett has been an excellent O-Coordinator that has used the very good players at his disposal and has shown to make excellent changes of his game plan. As shown by their superior second halves this year.

5. Lousy pass defense - Dallas ranks in the Top 10 for %comp, TDs allowed, YPC, INTs & QB rating. They are susceptible to poor performances but on avg. have been good enough to win.

QUOTE]

Archived