Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about your (near)perfect '91 season...

CowboysSaintsFan

Just curious-it seems like over the course of NFL history, teams that have flirted with undefeated seasons....when they FINALLY lose that first game, the ONLY thing you hear from the media is "Such and such team has been FINALLY exposed for such and such flaws", blah, blah, blah.

For example, the '98 Denver team that lost to a 5-8 Giants team in wk15-they were rolling along on both sides of the ball, then all of a sudden, all of the media pundits were saying "Just jam the receivers at the LOS", "Their secondary is suspect", "Neil Smith is a step slower", etc, etc.(Of course, they ended up repeating as SB champs that year)

Anyhow-when you guys lost your first game to us in wk13 at RFK, all everyone heard that week was "Just pressure Mary Rypien", "Just jam around Gary Clark and Art Monk, and Clark will get frustrated", "Darrell Green has over-rated coverage skills", "The Skins' front 7 isn't quick enough", etc.

After this first loss, did any of you all of a sudden get over-ly concerned at the time? Yeah-we know you guys got the Lombardi Trophy at the end(and the above paragraph became nothing but a bad dream), but still-what were your reactions after that first loss?

My first reaction was being mad because I had paid 4 times face value for a ticket from a scalper outside the stadium before the game and we lost a game featuring a Dallas hail-mary and also a long TD run from Emmitt Smith on a draw play. :(

But I wasn't too worried at the time. I do think that I would've been a lot more worried if Dallas had beaten Detroit in the playoffs and we had to play the Cowboys again in the NFCCG.

There were no concerns.

We had a few close calls that year (The hHuston game really stands out in my mind) so we knew we were beatable - We just knew we weren't going to loose.

The cowboys won basicly because of a hail mary at the end of the half. That was it.

There were no concerns.

We had a few close calls that year (The hHuston game really stands out in my mind) so we knew we were beatable - We just knew we weren't going to loose.

The cowboys won basicly because of a hail mary at the end of the half. That was it.

One of the most memorable games for me as well. I still remember crying because I thought the win-streak was over. When the kicker somehow missed my brother and I ran around the house like crazy, lol. I think that kicker was released soon after.

Seems to me Dallas also recovered a surprise onside kick.

Sometimes it's actually good to be humbled during the regular season (not like the way we were against NE this year, mind you) in that it keeps the picture realistic. These guys are all pros though and don't get upset the way the average couch jockey fan does. Dallas will keep it in perspective and likely get to the big game.

man, the '91 redskins are one of the greatest teams of all time, and probably the most underrated. that team opened the season with THREE STRAIGHT home shutouts! the first of which was a 45-0 demolishing of the detroit lions, who ended up in the NFC championship game that year (where we re-demolished them 41-10)! the other team they faced in the playoffs was the high-octane run and shoot atlanta falcons, who they beat 24-7 in the playoffs, and 56-17 earlier in the season.

in the super bowl, they led 24-0 just after halftime, which was the largest shutout lead in super bowl history at the time (not sure if it still stands).

that season was never in doubt from opening day. it was one of the all-time dominant NFL seasons.

Richie Petibone was just a brilliant defensive mind who was with us at exactly the right moment.

By that I mean he was magnificent at shutting down the run and shoot at a time when the run and shoot offense was "in vogue" and teams all over the league were using it.

Lions and Falcons in NFC playoffs, then the Bills and their vaunted "K-Gun" offense, couldn't do diddly against a secondary featuring the likes of Brad Edwards, Danny Copeland, Martin Mayhew and Alvoid Mays. We also dominated Warren Moon's Oilers offense that was lighting it up that year (although we barely eked out the win).

To address your larger point, I was just flat out pissed we lost a game to the cowboys. nothing more, nothing less. I never thought we'd go undefeated, but I was still confident we had a great team ready for a SB run.

I'm still kinda upset that we took our main guys out vs. the Eagles. We only lost by 2 points and I TRULY BELIEVE that not going 15-1, really obscured the greatness of that team.

At that point we had the record for largest margin of victory per game in a season and absolutely dominated several opponents, including in the NFC title game.

I know we wanted to rest our guys but even leaving Mark in a bit longer, I think we could have eked out that Philly win and been remembered as a one-loss team.

And Monk probably gets into the HoF if they do that, along with one of Grimm or Jacoby.

I'm still kinda upset that we took our main guys out vs. the Eagles. We only lost by 2 points and I TRULY BELIEVE that not going 15-1, really obscured the greatness of that team.

I was sort of upset too, but I also do remember how good that Philly Defense was. If you recall a somewhat funny moment in the game.....Jeff Rutledge had been MAULED by Reggie White and company. Jeff ran back to the sideline because his face mask had been bent out of shape. I think Jeff was signaling to Rypien to go in for him, but Mark simply took off his helmet and gave it to Jeff. After seeing that play I was glad Gibbs decided to rest everyone.

:eaglesuck

We would have been concerned if the 07 Pats were also playing that year.

Our O-line would have wore them out over the course of the game and we would have started to dominate in the second half.

The competion the Redskins faced that year was alot better than what the Patriots have faced this year, and yet they dominated better teams the same way the Pats are dominating weaker teams.

The Pats are good, but I have to be a homer here, and say that the Skins would have flat out punched them in the mouth!!:D

No concerns at the time if I recall. They had some close calls already that season, but they were still a very strong team. Everything seemed to be coming into place. I was just pissed and disappointed. . One because it was....well....those people. :mad: Another reason was that the Cowboys came out and just went for it. Let it all hang out and for a bit, it seemed like the Redskins were shocked that they would do just that, (especially that onside kick). Of course, that Mike had his way with DG that day had nothing to do with being pissed. :) Over all though, no surprise, pissed, and of course a little disappointed that they had their winning streak stopped. To this day, I believe that if the Redskins had won that game, they may have gone undefeated that year.

I was really pissed. A bunch of my friends were playing football that day and they convinced me to play too. I kept arguing with them that I had to see the game since 1) I didn't get to see many Skins games and 2) it was against DallAss. :dallasuck They kept arguing back that if I didn't play it would have only been 5 on 4. :blahblah: So, to make a long story endless and boring, I must say I was more pissed at them for making me play than I was at the Skins losing. I blame them for the Skins not going undefeated in '91!!! :cuss:

After this first loss, did any of you all of a sudden get over-ly concerned at the time? Yeah-we know you guys got the Lombardi Trophy at the end(and the above paragraph became nothing but a bad dream), but still-what were your reactions after that first loss?

I was shell shocked because you guys hadn't won a game all year. It was equivalent to Miami beating the Patriots this year. I admit that until that game, I thought Aikman was a wannabe punk, but he showed me something that sunday.

I never really expected to go undeafeated though, so it didn't hurt, especially since we had already clinched home field throughout at that point.

One could say it was a mercy game so you guys would atleast win one game, you beat our second and third stringers...

I was shell shocked because you guys hadn't won a game all year. It was equivalent to Miami beating the Patriots this year. I admit that until that game, I thought Aikman was a wannabe punk, but he showed me something that sunday.

I never really expected to go undeafeated though, so it didn't hurt, especially since we had already clinched home field throughout at that point.

One could say it was a mercy game so you guys would atleast win one game, you beat our second and third stringers...

Umm sorry buddy, but wrong season. They went 11-5 that season and made the playoffs.

Not sure what you saw or are thinking. I am much younger than you and still remember every game of that season (my dad made sure of it).

Archived