Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs: His Reputation Will Take Another Hit This Season

Oldfan

If the Redskins win out and make the playoffs this year, what transpired in the Bears game has assured that Joe's coaching reputation in Gibbs Two will still suffer.

Jason went down, so Joe's hand-picked young QB won't be the one leading the way to the triumphant finish. And, as well as Todd Collins played vs. the Bears, there's no way in hell that Gibbs favorite, Mark Brunell, gets the call to lead the team to victory.

So, if the skins win out, it's about 99% certain that Al Saunders and his scheme will get the credit and the fans and media will be on Joe's back for not delegating the offense and the handling of the QBs to Al when Al Saunders first arrived on the scene.

Now, if the passing game doesn't look good down the stretch with Collins running it, then rest assured that Al's scheme will be trashed. In this case, Joe's judgment in bringing Al here in the first place will be questioned.

The handwriting's on the wall. Win or lose, playoffs or not, there's no scenario in play in which the Gibbs reputation doesn't take a hit this season.

Before the Bears game, some posters here were writing that Joe's decision on his future might come down to the final four games and whether or not we made the playoffs this season. I didn't think so; but if they were right, then Joe's chances for a late season revival of his coaching reputation in Gibbs Two went down with Jason Campbell.

I think we're smart enough to realize that the lack of JC's success wouldn't exactly be attributed to Gibbs, because JC is a young QB in a complex offense. I don't see how his lack of success in a system that (from what I hear) normally takes 3+ years to master would be a direct reflection on Gibbs and his apparent failure as a head coach.

As for the W-L record, I suppose you'll be right.

However, I do think he'll get positive points for being the moral/spiritual leader of this organization (not just the team). If you had known beforehand about the injuries, the tragedy, all of the incredible diversions, interruptions and sadness that have befallen the Redskins this year, could you have chosen a better individual to be at the top? Maybe, but I don't think so. Who else would have held this group together as well? I can't think of anyone I would trust more. And not because of the kind of coach he is, but because of the kind of man he is.

Furthermore, I think that the positive strength of that leadership will extend beyond the current football season, whether Joe Gibbs happens to be the coach or not.

To me, it's just remarkable that--with all that has happened--we still have any kind of shot at the playoffs. Granted, a lot of very smart, talented people have made major contributions to that, but Joe Gibbs has been the top guy, has overseen it all. And you have to give him some kind of credit for that.:2cents:

Unfortunately I think Gibbs' reputation has already been marred in the eyes of the national media and most non-Redskins fans.

I think when all is said and done, Gibbs II will go down in history like Michael Jordan II did with the Wizards - most people will pretend it never happened.

The handwriting's on the wall. Win or lose, playoffs or not, there's no scenario in play in which the Gibbs reputation doesn't take a hit this season.
Here's the thing, maybe you want his reputation to be tarnished, but Joe Gibbs came back to the Redskins, not caring about if his reputation is tarnished (per his own words), but hoping to get the Redskins back to a winning franchise.

So, gloat all you want. Joe Gibbs is the only coach for the Redskins in my eyes, right now, at this time. Get over it and move on.

I just am not getting this. The only reason Gibbs reputation will take a hit is because there are people around here that already made up their minds that Gibbs reputation would take a hit.

I've not exactly heard of Saunders going on about how Jason needs to be benched, is a bad QB, and shouldn't be starting...so I'm not quite getting the connotation that somehow Saunderes is anti-JC and pro-TC. Yeah, he's a big advocate of TC but I don't think that makes him anti-JC. As well, while Gibbs likes Brunnel its also not like he's completely anti-TC or he wouldn't be the 2nd string QB, nor possibly on the team.

I think we're smart enough to realize that the lack of JC's success wouldn't exactly be attributed to Gibbs, because JC is a young QB in a complex offense. I don't see how his lack of success in a system that (from what I hear) normally takes 3+ years to master would be a direct reflection on Gibbs and his apparent failure as a head coach.

No NFL team would hire an OC with a system that takes three years to learn. Cooley told us in the offseason that he knows the assignments of every player in every play of Al's playbook.

i agree JC is a franchise QB and plays in a run first offense. a game managing QB fits this system gibbs picked him and saunders develops him as OC. TC knows the system his knowledge also helps JC development :2cents: P.S. in this case it takes 3 years to master for JC but TC has been in this system for along time

As for the W-L record, I suppose you'll be right.

However, I do think he'll get positive points for being the moral/spiritual leader of this organization (not just the team). If you had known beforehand about the injuries, the tragedy, all of the incredible diversions, interruptions and sadness that have befallen the Redskins this year, could you have chosen a better individual to be at the top? Maybe, but I don't think so. Who else would have held this group together as well? I can't think of anyone I would trust more. And not because of the kind of coach he is, but because of the kind of man he is.

Furthermore, I think that the positive strength of that leadership will extend beyond the current football season, whether Joe Gibbs happens to be the coach or not.

To me, it's just remarkable that--with all that has happened--we still have any kind of shot at the playoffs. Granted, a lot of very smart, talented people have made major contributions to that, but Joe Gibbs has been the top guy, has overseen it all. And you have to give him some kind of credit for that.:2cents:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the media, local or national, or the majority of the Redskins fans will be weighing Joe's ability as a moral-spiritual leader nearly as heavily as his ability to coach football.

It looks like it.

What is baffling to me is how Dan gets the majority of the blame for Gibbs II and I still don't understand why.

I see the following as the main rationale for his success the first time around:

1. We had Charlie and Bobby Beathard in charge of personnel who supplied us with superior talent far and above the competition during their tenure.

2. No cap restraints

Joe II has all the ancillary help he needs and requests from Dan. If he feels Vinny and himself are not adept on personnel matters, then the onus is on him to make a change for the betterment of the team. He made a similar action in bringing in Al because he felt the offense would be better served. The reason we are struggling is mainly because of personnel/depth issues and to a lesser extent the X's and O's - right?

No NFL team would hire an OC with a system that takes three years to learn. Cooley told us in the offseason that he knows the assignments of every player in every play of Al's playbook.

Sure Cooley and JC may "know" the offense, but mastering it is a whole different situation. On the current Redskins team, there are only two people that know the playbook inside and out--Collins and Saunders. In the first year or two, the offense as a whole may or may not play effectively, but by year three, without barring any major player turnover, the offense should be at peak effeciency. Even Al said this when he first showed up.

Also, as Cooley may know the assignments of every player, the QB's responsibilities are an entirely different story. As they always say, being an NFL QB is perhaps the most difficult position in all of sports.

His legacy has nothing to do with what 2004-present. His legacy is done, and his bust is standing in Canton, Ohio. Regardless of what he does in his second stint as Redskins coach, he's a Hall of Fame coach.

His winning percentage is still high, and he's made the playoffs at least once since he's been back. Even if Campbell doesn't ever develop, Gibbs's legacy is already cemented in glory.

I disagree entirely. If this team makes the playoffs, nobody will care who did what. It will be a huge feat for this team. Winning cures all ills. Gibbs would be rightly credited for bringing in Saunders and TC. While he would be criticized a little for how long it took for him to "learn", fans would just be too happy to see Gibbs really turn the corner and give the offense to Gibbs. This isn't NY, fans here aren't going to vilify someone for doing the right thing and making the right decision, just because it took him too long to do it.

No, it doesn't take three years for players to learn an offensive system, but it can take three years or more for a young QB to be good in any offensive system. Saunders has had the advantage of mostly working with veteran QBs his whole career.

As for this whole thread, I don't think Gibbs gives a rat's ass as to his legacy and how he will be viewed. That seems to only matter to writers and fans. The man has three superbowl victories, and nothing that he does now will ever change that. Right now, all he's concerned about is getting this team on track and winning.

Jason

....This isn't NY, fans here aren't going to vilify someone for doing the right thing and making the right decision, just because it took him too long to do it.

It wasn't a decision to start Collins the rest of the way and give Al's passing game a true test. The events left Joe no real choice.

No, it doesn't take three years for players to learn an offensive system, but it can take three years or more for a young QB to be good in any offensive system. Saunders has had the advantage of mostly working with veteran QBs his whole career.

As for this whole thread, I don't think Gibbs gives a rat's ass as to his legacy and how he will be viewed. That seems to only matter to writers and fans. The man has three superbowl victories, and nothing that he does now will ever change that. Right now, all he's concerned about is getting this team on track and winning.

Jason

QFT:applause:

People who are down on Gibbs now will continue to be down on him no matter what happens the rest of the way.

People who remain solidly behind Gibbs now will continue to be solidly behind him no matter what happens the rest of the way.

People who are waiting to see what happens the rest of the way will continue to wait and see what happens the rest of the way before making pronouncements about how what happens the rest of the way will affect the way "people" view Gibbs II.

Archived