Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears.com: Harris angry about 'dirty play' that injured Garay

Griff

It's never happened to me, but I'm almost positive you would know if you were stabbed...

I understand his concern with the chop blocks, and I've heard other d-linemen (like Mike Golic) say the same thing, but he really comes across as a whiner in that article. Then again things aren't as rosy when you LOSE. :D

Harris is absolutely correct. I played defensive end for 1 season in high school and when the offensive linemen go for your knees it's cheap and you can really hurt something bad. Not much Samuels can do about it though. At the time it's a legal hit and he's just throwing the kind of block the play or defensive formation calls for. There should be a rule change in fact there should have been one in 2005 when the Broncos linemen injured a few d-lineman, or 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, etc. when the Broncos were notorious for it.

I wouldn't blame Harris or any other player if they stomp that idiot's head in to the turf. You don't know when some maniac is going to pull out a knife or gun.

Btw if Andre Carter had gotten hurt on a low block this board would be screaming bloody murder.

Precisely my point, regardless of what others in this thread say about apples and oranges. Legal or illegal, a shot to the knees is a shot to the knees. If you're going to tell Harris to stop complaining about Samuel's block, you can't turn around and ***** about the hit Keisel put on Jason Campbell. Perception changes around here when our team is on the receiving end, and that's got to stop.

I agree with Tommie. To say "Sorry QB's are more important than you" is a joke. All players should get the same protection. However it was a legal play, and I will give Samuels the benefit of the doubt that he had no intentions in harming the player. I've never gotten a "dirty" vibe from Samuels in the past.

It sucks that this rule is legal, but nevertheless, it is a legal move. So I hope he is directing this at the NFL and not Samuels because he is not a dirty player whatsoever and nothing he did was wrong.

well said... I hate the rule too but it's a part of the game unfortunately...

Hah...stabbed? But seriously, how priceless was Dan Snyder's face when that happened with Roger Goodell looking on?

Sometimes you wont feel getting stabbed until a little bit after. I heard of people being "hit in the leg a few times" and then about 3 minutes later someone asked why they were bleeding and lo and behold they had been stabbed about 4 times.

The guy bouncing off Harris was pretty funny, though. He didn't see him coming and still didn't even budge.

Here's the play, he had the guy beat because the whistle blew and he stopped blocking.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dc4VraDiqIk

That was absolutely crazy!

I was at that game, and what the t.v. didn't show was how that guy was still a problem when the police were carrying him off the field.

Now to you all who might not know P.G. County Police, they were once know for accepting every opportunity, major or minor, to use their stick or aspaton. As matter of fact, if it had not been for the many witnesses at the game, that guy would have suffered a first class police beating.

I don't remember the hit, but I know Collinsworth said it was a chop block. Chop blocks are illegal, aren't they?

Collinsworth is a tool. He doesn't even know the difference. Samuels was performing a cut block, much like what the Denver Broncos offensive line does. An illegal chop block is when the defender is engaged up high and another offensive player hits the defender down low in either a pass or run play. If no one was engaged with the defender up top, then Samuels hit was legal no matter how bad it is.

I find it strange that you all seem to accept his claim that it's legal "For a lineman to block you at your knees while somene is blocking you high"

No, it's not. And the few that have said that here have been ignored.

Let me say that again.

Run or pass. Short yardage, or long yardage. in the NFL, in it a illegal chop block to block someone at the knees if that player is enganged with a blocker high up.

Got it? It IS illegal.

What is legal, and what happened, is Chris Samuals got low. He blocked low, helmet in front, and blocked him below the knees. THAT is legal. How do you make it illegal? Would make goal line blocking very hard, since the goal there is to get low. All I would have to do from a D stand, is to play all my guys upright. Now, the O lineman would be forced to stand up to block, and the running play will go no where.

Old article link below, but it explains the two very well.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/31/Sports/Stop_the_chop_Broncos.shtml

There is a gray area between the legal cut block and the illegal chop block. The cut block occurs when a player (usually an offensive lineman) blocks another (usually a defensive lineman) below the knees with his helmet in front of the player. The chop block occurs when the same block comes from the side or the back, or when the defensive player is engaged with another offensive player and therefore defenseless.

Collinsworth is a tool. He doesn't even know the difference. Samuels was performing a cut block, much like what the Denver Broncos offensive line does. An illegal chop block is when the defender is engaged up high and another offensive player hits the defender down low in either a pass or run play. If no one was engaged with the defender up top, then Samuels hit was legal no matter how bad it is.

"The NFL needs to change that,” Harris said. “You’re allowed to do that. [One] lineman’s allowed to post you up and [another’s] allowed to go at your legs."

Again, I don't remember seeing the play, but based off what Harris says it sounds like a chop block. I would assume "post you up" means he was engaged. Was he not?

A couple of things come to mind:

1) The block was garbage. Samuels isn't a dirty player, so I'm thinking he may have anticipated the guy going another direction or that he wasn't engaged or that he was aiming higher and missed. Samuels just isn't the kind of guy to go at another player's knees while he's engaged. But Harris is right about the rule. No way you should be allowed to hit someone low on a running plays when they're already engaged above.

2) For those who think it's funny Harris thought he was stabbed---most of those idiot fans run on the field. They don't touch players, generally. Plus, I had a friend in high school who got was 'hit' by some nutjob on the street. He got in a cab and headed home. Turns out, he had been stabbed with an ice pick and his lung collapsed. Fortunately, he was able to call the ambulance before things got too bad but he had no idea he had even been stabbed.

So it's a reasonable fear that Harris had.

Just to play a little devil's advocate here...

I find it interesting how if you look back at threads that have discussed Denver's blocking scheme, we have no problem labeling Denver's players and Shanahan as dirty but yet when we do the same thing the response is, "Don't get mad at us, get mad at the NFL."

I myself don't think Bugel should instruct his linemen to cut block. Sure we'd be at a comparative disadvantage to the rest of the league to a point, but at some point ethics and the risk of ending someone's career have to win out.

More to the point, however, it is no less than a travesty that the league still permits this tactic. The league treats quarterbacks like prima donnas and gives a defensive player a 15 yard penalty for even looking at him funny, but yet they show such a callous disregard for the safety of the big uglies down in the trenches.

There is no place in the NFL for the cut block period. Not at the 50, not on 1st and 10, not even at 4th and goal from the 1.

LOL Harris sounds too be a bit of a drama queen. Stabbed? Beat the guy? Dirty play? Im sorry, but the problem is with the rule.

The most dangerous plays in football are ALWAYS ones that happen around the legs. When a runner or reciever gets upended, when a linemen has his knees taken out or rolled into, when a QB gets hit in them, when a player gets roy-williamed, those are all the most dangerous plays you see.

Archived