Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In hindsight, Todd McShay got it wrong...

corrupt3d

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2430396

Worst pick: Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota. Montgomery has the size and athletic ability to develop into an adequate backup, but he offers little as a pass rusher and needs to get stronger as a run defender. There were several higher-rated defensive tackle prospects on the board when the Redskins took Montgomery in the fifth round, including Tennessee's Jesse Mahelona, Virginia Tech's Jonathan Lewis and Louisville's Montavious Stanley.

This is from the recap of the 2006 NFL Draft. Looking at the other three guys, they've accomplished nothing compared to Montgomery who has been solid for us. Sure he's not generating much pass-rush but he is a pretty strong run defender, imho...

thoughts?

Not necessarily. The things he pointed out about Montgomery are true. He's not a pass rusher, he has built his strength to be a better run defender.

What we don't is, those other guys they're talking about, what impact would they have made if they were on the Redskins. They may be buried on a roster with good DT depth. Lord knows we haven't had much at DT for years now, seeing as how much Griffin's availability has affected our defense in previous years, so maybe it's a matter of who in front of them.

That being said, I do like what Montgomery has been doing for us. However, we desperately need someone to fill the interior pass rushing role that Griffin used to for us because he doesn't appear to be the same player anymore and that complete lack of an interior rush has affected our defense fairly significantly.

Well Monty wasn't supposed to be a pass rusher. We drafted him to take over for Big Joe, which he's done.

He aint a superstar, but any time you can plug a 5th rounder into your starting lineup, I'll take it.

However, the only other guys we drafted that year were Rocky in the 2nd, Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston in the 6th, and Kili lefotu in the 7th.

So someone had to qualify as "worst pick."

Looking back at that draft, I just saw what Denver did with one of the (many, MANY) picks we've given them over the years.

They took Brandon Marshall with our 4th rounder.

He was probably off our board due to character issues, but still.....DAMN YOU VINNY!!!

What we don't is, those other guys they're talking about, what impact would they have made if they were on the Redskins. They may be buried on a roster with good DT depth. Lord knows we haven't had much at DT for years now, seeing as how much Griffin's availability has affected our defense in previous years, so maybe it's a matter of who in front of them.

Stanley has been on four NFL rosters. Mahelona has been on three.

Certainly, Montgomery was considered an underacheaver in college to a certain extent, which is why he was available in the 5th round. He's had to battle that in the pros a bit as well, since he underacheaved last year.

Jason

Looking back at that draft, I just saw what Denver did with one of the (many, MANY) picks we've given them over the years.

They took Brandon Marshall with our 4th rounder.

He was probably off our board due to character issues, but still.....DAMN YOU VINNY!!!

Yeah, I really wanted us to get Brandon. But along with being a Redskins homer, I'm also a UCF homer. Maybe we can get Kevin Smith in the third round? who knows.

Archived